In Memoriam - Cadet Squadrons Lost, Closed, Merged & Disbanded

See here @Mancie too :grinning:

1 Like

Middx wing have lost 1571 ( Edmonton), 2473 ( Highlands) and 85 DF in last few years (85 still going)

I thought 1159 was edmonton???

1 Like

1571 were at Aylward School in Edmonton - may have been something else after their name, 1159 still going strong

2408 was an easy closure, an ex cadet torched it. 64… no idea.

My old squadron 1110 (Ashington) we were going to move to a college but the college wanted £40,000 a year and we couldn’t afford it we would have just stayed at the sea cadet base we were at but wing HQ didn’t want us there. 1110 was formed in 1941 and closed for the first time in in 2020 it then didn’t reopen until January of 2022 and then closed for the final time in October 2023

And don’t forget 158 squadron

158 squadron Don’t know that number, Where is it?

Some mistake I think. 158 (Braintree & District) looks like it’s doing very well, unless they reformed and reused a number?

1 Like

2446 (Knottingley) Sqn in South & West Yorkshire Wing closed some time around 2015. Someone will know the exact year but I can’t find it right now.

It’s in Braintree Essex

No that’s right I go there

872 (Hull West) Squadron closed, last year - due to shortage of staff.

2003 Stratton disbanded 2016 and then otherside of town 633 West Swindon Merged with 1244 Swindon, becoming 1244 Swindon and District.

1 Like

I’m beginning to wonder how up to date the ACC unit map is…

1 Like

It really isn’t, but it should be feasible to replace it with a plugin of the RAFAC website one.

1 Like

I didn’t know we had a map! :rofl:

2 Likes

Found this snippet on an old forum page, referring to 1261 Sqn:

RAF Thornaby.

As this thread has become an excellent historical record of the RAF in the 50’s I wanted to ask about this. In my days in the ATC, some of us cadets used to put on our uniforms and cycle 8 miles to 614 sqdn at Llandow where we would spend a happy few hours helping to refuel the FB5’s and the one T7 (they also had a Meteor 8 which was a bit of a hangar queen as no-one liked the ejection seat). I can still remember that the FB5 main tank held 395 gallons, and I also remember helping to hold the tail booms down after a wet start. Occasionally we were rewarded with a flight in the back seat of the T7, although I never managed that myself. This activity was completely unofficial and carried out on our own initiative.

6 Likes

Great numberplate!

Surprised they let that one go.

1 Like