In Memoriam - Cadet Squadrons Lost, Closed, Merged & Disbanded

64 (Paddington) Sqn, any knowledge of this bunch.

Yes, I believe they were based in Paddington.

They had a mascot, it was a bear from Peru. They put a statue up in the station when the sqn closed.

1 Like

That’s great news, which station.

In the early days 10F (at the Luton TA Centre), had 3 DFs which became 2413 (Farley Hill) a school sqn, 2465 (Icknield) (which was also originally a school sqn), and 2492 (Luton Airport). 2413 then had a DF in Caddington. That DF closed in the early 70s, cadets moving to Farley Hill. 8 August 76, 2413 was disbanded and we moved to 2492. The rest is documented here so I’ll go on. In 1976 Beds, Cambs & Hunts Wg became Beds & Cambs Wg, when Huntingdonshire was absorbed into Cambridgeshire. My parents raised funds for the 2492 Sqn standard in 1977. Was it properly laid up on the sqn’s disbandment?

1 Like

No idea unfortunately! Might be worth contacting 10f as they may have some records?

RIP 494 (Stansted Airport) Squadron.

When did they close?

Bridgwater has shut I hear.

My sister was OC until a few weeks ago, but resigned in response to some poor treatment from the WCO.

That means for the first time in 22 years, there’s noone in my family in the organisation.

1 Like

December 2023.

494 (Stansted Airport) Squadron was originally created in 1992, and was located in an old police station but later was given a building to us on land specifically for us by British Airports Authority (BAA) at Stansted Airport. In 2013, BAA sold Stansted Airport to Manchester Airport Group (MAG), a chain of airports bought by Manchester Airport and in early 2023 they decided that they wanted to build a new business park on land which also incorporated our squadron. After a failed appeal the 28th of September was the last parade night held at the building, with it resulting in being knocked down. 494 then went under the wing of 1096 (Bishop Stortford) squadron until ultimately it was dismissed on the 7th December 2023 due to no way of being able to relocate, the same day that a possible new location was found.

Many of the cadets, myself included, most likely the staff too felt a great betrayal by MAG and felt very disappointed at dismissal of our great squadron. Covid took a great chunk out of our squadron, but as we thought we were getting back on our knees again we were wrong.

4 Likes

I remember that squadron in the early 1980s. On the school grounds with a cruise missile on the grass.