Human Factors training

So I was looking at ACP300 as I wanted to check some details (wild Saturday night - I know!) and I saw the list of activities that attract VA. There are a couple of courses which sound interesting but no one I have spoken to has ever heard of them and a search of Bader just comes up with the reference in ACP300 which isn’t helpful.

Anyone heard of/been on these courses and can shed any more light?

Human Factors Training
Human Factors Facilitators and Instructors course

Never heard of it… Id be certainly interested in a course like that

It is listed under “flying” under annex a of ACP300, or p82/83 if you are using the word pages. I may contact my Wing Aviation Officer and see if they know anything, just thought I’d see if anyone knew on here!

It certainly sounds interesting, although I am a bit unsure with it being linked under “flying”, given whilst HF comes into flying it comes into a lot of other bits too! Perhaps it is something specific for those involved in AEF/VGS?

That would make sense…

It is probably a safety course for CFIs and other such important people, looking specifically at the human factors in aviation (as the biggest source of accidents in aviation).

Someone posted a link to a man who was trying to get it in the NHS recently.

I doubt they run for fronting CFAVs to be honest.

Human factors is (among other things) about cognition, memory, how stress affects you, your memory, your decision making, etc.

It’s a big thing in the flying world so yeah would be for our instructors specifically.

The NHS story is about a guy called Martin Bromiley and the New Statesman has a good article.

Shame, it would be interesting and I think it would be really good to bring back some of this information and link it at basic level, where relevant, into existing teaching.

It comes up in AT too. Heuristic errors they are referred to there.

1 Like

Human factors certainly is big in aviation; from the very beginning of flight training human factors has its own dedicated exams and learning.

I imagine this is a VGS/AEF CFAV course, as suggested by others.

You can do some reading of your own!

CRM in the medical field which includes consideration for human factors: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272164129_An_integrated_ABCDE_approach_to_managing_medical_emergencies_using_CRM_principles

Martin Bromiley story: https://www.newstatesman.com/2014/05/how-mistakes-can-save-lives

@Baldrick have you got any AT links on it? It’s vaguely mentioned for FT but not in so many (or specific) words.

There’s an image of a fighter pilot I can’t find that shows increasing stress vs limiting ability to focus on multiple things…

I did a module in ergonomics/HF at uni (a long time ago now though) and I’m certainly not adverse to doing anything independently, I was just curious about the offering.

Cognitive overload is an issue which affects many areas.

Thanks for the links though, I’ll have a look!

1 Like

No problem. The CRM stuff is more focused towards mitigation than understanding the effects. The article is about the aftermath of it going wrong - Gibbs’ reflective cycle++++ if you like.

I’ve given seminars about HF in adventurous sports partly using https://ski.utah.edu/feature/addressing-human-factors-in-avalanche-accidents/ as a basis

1 Like

Good stuff, but “scarcity” which is an ‘s’ is actually “tracks” and “tracks” which is a ‘t’ is actually an ‘s’.

Way to force some superficial and superfluous verbiage into your theory vis a vis life critical considerations in snow-covered, mountainous terrain and therefore unintentionally distract your readership away from the point of importance to which you’re trying to draw attention (the author, not you, unless that is you, in which case you, which would be ‘a’ for CCW which is actually “author”).

It wouldn’t be a problem if switching the concept of scarcity with the representative word “tracks” wasn’t then followed up by a different use of the word “tracks” which was then itself substituted. (that time I wasn’t even trying to add words).

You could do ‘FASCES’ but I don’t know how important the order is.

There are lots of good aviation resources for Human Factors… during ATPLs we often “studied” (read: watched) episodes of Air Crash Investigations.

A few that spring to mind
Crash of the Centrury
S3 E9 - Kid in the Cockpit

(I need to catch up and watch some of the newer ones!)

The aviation link to the human factors can be overly simplified by the IMSAFE checklist

Illness
Medication
Stress
Alcohol
Fatigue
Emotion

Is the pilot on the “safe” side of these factors all or which play a part (a factor) in their performance.
We all know about “illness” with the Tutor briefing video mentioning not flying iv suffering a head cold…

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjkvovbmIfwAhX1oFwKHW8XAL4QFjABegQICBAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbritishcanoeing.org.uk%2Fuploads%2FcourseDownloads%2FObservational-Heuristics-in-a-Group-of-High-Level-Paddlesports-Coaches-Scott-Simon-Loel-Collins-and-Dave-Collins.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3hB_M9tR6P1OeSmFFLah5C

People do just focus on Crew Resource Management (aircrew in the cockpit), but it’s down the whole team. The engineers, the ground staff, the admin team, the air tragic controllers, flight planners…

… They all have an effect on safe delivery of flying.

They talk about Swiss cheese in an accident. Its never usually one factor that brings down an aircraft, but a series of issues which if correctly fixed or maintained the fault can’t go past… But with each hole in the cheese, leads to the fault.

The concorde crash in Paris is a good example, as there were so many factors, that if one or two were addressed before takeoff, may have saved the aircraft.

1 Like

I facilitate HF for my day job and done some for RAFAC. If anyone wants to know more just ask.

2 Likes