Human Factors training

For an “event” occurring, whilst aviation based, we use RSIC first, followed by DORDAR; I’ve shortened things considerably & changed a couple of words, but you can get the gist.

RSIC

• Recognise an event has occurred;
• Safety of personnel is assured;
• Identify, share & confirm the cause of the event;
• Checklists conducted.

DORDAR

Diagnose

An analysis of the severity of the event / the time criticality must be done first.

Options & Risk / Benefits

The subsequent amount of time spent considering the available options / the associated risks / benefits will depend on the severity of the event / its time criticality.

Risks / Benefits should be considered with respect to other factors. The task allocation options shall also be considered.

Decide

The final decision on the course of action & the task allocation is the responsibility of the designated OIC, consider Time-Critical / Non-Time-Critical factors.

Apply

The plan of action shall be implemented & tasks allocated / conducted.

Review

Once a plan has been implemented & applicable checklists / communications accomplished, a review of the situation should be conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of the actions of the plan.

CRM / HF - another accident worth looking at - the Kegworth crash.

3 Likes

I think those of us not in the aviation field at work or RAFAC would appreciate more info if you’re happy to share it.

All of this being posted looks really important for our high risk activities but other than flying I can’t think of any time it’s been formally taught.

3 Likes

If anything there’s a degree of greater importance for volunteers to be given an understanding of these things - we are, after all, mostly just enthusiastic amateurs and not trained professionals wrt a lot of what we do.

@Sticky_McStickface if you have anything you can share that complements or builds on what we’ve got I’d love to see it and think others would too.

1 Like

Seconded! HF is important and has a link to a lot of our offering and even having a basic consideration of it would be useful.

If you DM me I’ll send across some PPT and notes.

HF is mandatory recurring training competency for all VGS and AEF staff - is done as local training by a facilitator. Your local AEF will have a few Human Factors Facilitators who can deliver the training and may be up for doing some training.

1 Like