How many people have the different shooting badges?

On a recent camp we did a range day using the L98. From this range day most of the people there got advanced marksman, however we were told by our staff that advanced marksman is very hard to get. Was everybody there just good at shooting or is advanced marksman actually not that hard to get?

I have no idea, as I’m not currently involved in the organisation.

However, from what I’ve seen, the information you’ve been given could also pertain to the difficulty in attending said activity at the right level to then have the opportunity of qualifying.

Much like I imagine getting the highest level of wings might be more difficult due to the limited opportunity, rather than the skill required once on said opportunity.

Depends on the weapons system, on an air rifle it’s pretty easy to achieve.

sorry forgot to say we where using the L98

Advanced Marksman is CLF 13 on the L98 A2 which is a big shoot and a lot of shooting to progress through to get there. Would be interesting if this was a dedicated shooting camp or an annual camp where someone is giving out badges without meeting standards.

What did you have to do to get the badge?

1 Like

Snitches get stitches :rofl:

What an odd statement and why reply at all?

I would be very intersted to know how many acheived this on by the sounds of it ONE range day…

Sounds very suspicious to me.

I don’t think it’s as odd as you’re making it out to be.

I’m simply engaging in the conversation, but highlighting that my knowledge isn’t current.

But with experience and friends in the organisation, oftentimes the “difficulty” in attaining a badge isn’t necessarily about the complexity involved in the task, but simply getting the opportunity to do the thing.

It was also an opportunity to then have the situation or context clarified slightly, though admittedly someone with current knowledge probably wouldn’t require that.

The issue here is that on the old syllabus, you did one shoot and different standards got different badges (first class, marksman etc.) but in the new one, you have to do progressive shoots to achieve the standards (trained shot, first class, marskman) etc. It isn’t usually possible to do this in a single day, hence the scepticism.

3 Likes

Is Marksman and Advanced Marksman the same shoot on the L98? I know it was on the Air Rifle, same shoot different scores.

Different shoots, Marksman on the 98 is GP5 which is a bit of zeroing.

Advanced Marksman is GP13 which is advanced application of fire up to 300m. Time for that shoot alone is 60 minutes.

3 Likes

Yeah you’re not getting that done from scratch in a day. I suppose it’s achievable in a weekend if you don’t have too large a number of Cadets.

Most who achieve it tend to do multiple shoots with a small group of Cadets over the space of a couple of months. Access to the LR is usually the limiting factor.

Was this on LR…

@SmuelDwddy
How far from the targets were you when shooting.

300m. For your information we did two different shoots over two days. Day 1 we did a DCCT range then a 25m range where we zeroed the rifles. Day two we did 25 rounds at a target at 300m in the prone, sitting, kneeling and from a fire trench. On that camp the requirements to get the advanced marksman was 60% or over. Can’t remember what it was for marksman and trained shot.

This camp was not focused on shooting we just did shooting on it.

Doesn’t sound like you did the correct shoot to get your advanced marksman as that requires shooting from multiple distances not just 300m.

60% isn’t a score either based on the ACP.

If you had progressed to CLF 13 and passed every shoot on the way you would struggle to fit it all in 2 days.

1 Like

Sounds very suspect as not meeting the requirements for the adv marksman badge.

I don’t know if this would make any difference but our section is a CCF section rather than a ATC.

No there shouldn’t be a difference :grinning:

1 Like