How do y'all approach ASPIRE topics and training?

Our Wing Aspire Advisor has just put out an email offering a new RAFAC course on Aspire (inc. D&I) either F2F or Teams on either a half or full parade night - I wonder if he has been monitoring this chat as the timing of the email is rather spooky! :ghost:

3 Likes

Exactly.
The racial mix in our school is not atypical of the area, which is white, so we may do more , but I don’t know, given it’s not a burning topic of conversation among the staff.
We are a CofE school and prioritise faith for entry, which seems to mean less white youngsters. Apparently we are referred to as a black and asian school by some in the local education sphere, which is not an unfair comment. But the majority of the staff are white.
One of the ironies is they do a quiz on ‘black’ history and it’s always a white kid in each year that gets the prize.

And Wing and Regional ASPIRE ambassadors are trained to reach this and there are resources available. I don’t know which region you are but their email address is lgbt.wingname@etcetc alternatively contact me on lgbt.hertsbucks@rafac.mod.gov.uk and I’ll help you make contact.

1 Like

It’s just literally been signed off and is being deployed to wings.

1 Like

Interesting. Do you know anything about this course?

I did once contact my ex-RgWO after some consultation with my Regional ASPIRE Advisor regarding access to training resources, but I wasn’t able to get ahold of anything

From the email:

• Who are RAFAC ASPIRE
  • What is Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
  • The Equality Act 2010
  • Unconscious Bias
  • RAFAC Policies
  • What is your role?
  • Open Discussion
1 Like

Documented in the Sunday Times a few months ago at a private American school in London, it will gravitate outwards.

The other one is the Tavistock clinic and its treatments and the Cass report. The Kemi Baddenoch pieces in both the Times and Telegraph are quite interesting in particular about the the Civil Service and its mindset.

1 Like

Which is in my opinion is quite wrong, it is a fact of life even in the UK. In effect the Stadiums in Qatar have been built in effect, on modern slavery.

2 Likes

There is no rule, policy or guidance which says a Padre must ge Christian.
I know of an example in Birmingham &Warwickshire where a Padre was no of Christian faith due to the demographic of the attending Cadets a Christian message* would not have been appropriate

*by this i mean stories from the Christian bible brought into relevance today.
Although Christian values are not hugely different…religion all teaches us to be kind, helpful decent people the difference is the niches which differentiate between the denominations and religions
(And yes i know that is a very generalised sweeping statement and in know way intend to belittle anyone’s beliefs as "basically the same as everyone else…i am generalising for soeed and ease)

At this point, should we not just bin off Padres and reach out to counselling and therapist providers for volunteers?

Considering that would cover off the welfare role of a padre and a SQEP to run an equivalent to a “Padre’s Hour” session, but be completely agnostic in approach so able to remain approachable to all regardless of beliefs (although a padre should be able to reach across faiths, it does still present a potential issue of willingness or confidence on the part of the cadet).

We’re responsible for welfare and life skills, not catering to faith. Surely, in the name of EDI, the best way to embrace the diversity aspect and support the inclusion would be a non-denominational welfare replacement for padres? A qualified counsellor would surely be better suited to catering for MH too?

(I am aware that certain religious leaders gain relevant qualifications in this kind of area, but there’s no guarantee of level or quality - it’s apparently possible to have a lay preacher padre…)

2 Likes

My sqn hasn’t had a padre for the whole 7+ years I’ve been with it, we haven’t missed the concept. I really don’t see the point.

1 Like

Funnily enough…

I’m not doing well at the minute so am looking into the RAFBF for a little bit of help.

Cadets and CFAVs are eligible for mental health and wellbeing support from them.

5 Likes

Have a look at ACP 6 and see if there is anything else in there that may help!

A little different unfortunately as I’m still full time.

Also don’t have BADER access unfortunately. (Or fortunately depending on your point of view.) Joys of being an SI I guess, " that’s far too much admin naus for me. And for that reason, I’m out."

But thank you for the link.

If you’re still full time maybe get in contact with SSAFA. I’ve heard great things about the help they can give too! :slight_smile:

Yes, I’ll be in touch with them tomorrow. They were very helpful whilst our lad was in hospital. Gave us a grant so we could get some essentials when we were so far from home.

2 Likes

Assuming you are correctly recorded as a CFAV on SMS then you do have access to bader (all elements except SMS) via your personal RAFAC account.

I am indeed. I have seen my info page quite recently. Two addresses and three ranks ago :rofl:

Should be able to get the address updated via VP, WHQ for your rank

1 Like