How do y'all approach ASPIRE topics and training?

Did you get the Times today if so read the Kemi Baddenoch piece, it’s quite interesting.

Yes and no. You’re more likely to find a CFAV in need of education and help with understanding and empathy than a cadet.

Im clearly thick.
Help an old boy out?

1 Like

Critical Race Theory
(A very American concept)

4 Likes

Ah thanks.

Never seen it in TLA format before.
Ta.

2 Likes

Its interesting…although i completely agree with your point and position it got me thinking. Who “supports” the atheists?

If Cadets are atheists and Staff are should they not get the option to duck out?
If all the Staff are blindly “doing what is (looks) right” is that the right attitude for a role model?

A question and discussion perhaps worthy of its own thread but if we are doing X to support those with beliefs shouldn’t we also offer Y for those without?

2 Likes

I agree. And a good Chaplain should be able to support those of all faiths and none, not just their own. That includes helping those who are exploring gender and sexuality in a non judgmental way

Rev Simon “Yellow” Stevens formerly of Southampton Uni springs to mind and is the model I would seek to follow if/when I complete my chaplain ordination. He even helped get Atheist Society recognised by the SU.

I do think it’s time we look at having officially recognised humanist chaplains rather than just Christian. (Not sure if the ATC already follow the RAFAC and have other faiths in the chaplaincy).

2 Likes

You do make a good point, perhaps that would be worth discussing elsewhere

I don’t know if our school is unique but this area has had quite a high profile with weeks of assemblies, external speakers and form time sessions covering LGBTQ+, gender, identification language and ‘black’ history. Also schools are much better placed to support those needing it.

1 Like

Do you not think black people have history?

2 Likes

I reckon yours is unique; my school hasn’t done anything like that and we only touch on LGBTQIA+ themes in our PSE lessons.

As for black history, the only major thing I covered in school was the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade, and that was way back in Year 8.

Gender and identification language, however? Not a single thing about that in my school

Perhaps he should attend the lessons next time, he might learn something.

3 Likes

I think it is more a disagreement with the labelling as opposed to the actual content. For example, the history of black people in Britain could be classified in two ways, black history or British history. Some would say the latter is better as it doesn’t enforce the arbitrary division of the former.

3 Likes

Which is appearing in UK schools.

Such a narrow view and why didn’t they cover the present day slave trade as well?

IIRC, HM forces have Chaplain’s of all faiths with the services.

1 Like

Yeah. I meant to say RAF not RAFAC.

How exactly?

Ah yes, all of the primary schools now are teaching a way of studying the law that was developed by a law school and intended for other law schools.

1 Like

If you’re referring to modern slavery, my school doesn’t cover that at all