How do y'all approach ASPIRE topics and training?

When it comes to delivering nights and activities related to ASPIRE, I’m usually having to use my own resources and knowledge to do so.

So far, I’ve done two ASPIRE-related nights around gender, sexuality and neurodiversity. I was given a reccomendation by my Regional ASPIRE Advisor to deliver one of my lessons to other squadrons in my Sector, but of course, I’m having to put together all the resources myself.

Does anyone else find themselves in a similar situation? Or do you have some proper or “official” resources?

Ok… as admirable as this is…
Its not in our sylabus to teach this.

How does your sqn have time for not 1 but 2 nights on this?

Im tempted to go as far and say, there are no Official resources as this isnt sanctioned content.

6 Likes

It’s largely down to my own squadron’s training plan - when it’s relevant or when we suggest it to our squadron staff, we make time for it. Besides, our demographics allow us to run those sorta nights.

They’re usually quite far apart, at least a few months. Whenever I suggest an ASPIRE night, I always do it before staff have training meetings so they can make sure it fits around our usual training.

You’re basically spot-on there. As far as I know, we have very little if not nothing in terms of training materials, hence why I’m having to take a DIY approach.

Admittedly, it’s not usually Corps-sanctioned training, but I tend to go through the ASPIRE Network before I consider rolling something out

1 Like

Im not trying to be hard on about this…

But, how are we as volunteers qualified to teach this sort of material?

For goodness sake we need training to teach blue radio…

I suppose im just advising caution… seems like a fast way to garner a complaint from a gammon faced parent or similar.

7 Likes

To be fair, that’s a decet question. I know there’s diversity & inclusion training modules available for staff, but that’s all that I can think of. However, in my ASPIRE Engagement Group meetings, we have talked about creating separate modules for other topics that fall under the scope of ASPIRE, such as neurodiversity. Whether I’ll still be in the Corps when that happens…I kinda doubt it.

I mean, this isn’t the Bible Belt, but I definitely understand where you’re coming from. On my squadron, the staff and my fellow cadets know me well, so I don’t have to worry about it there. I guess since I’m taking it up to a Sector level, I can’t predict how my nights will be received by other people. for context, my Sector nights are about autism

1 Like

You could say we’ve had one, although impromptu.

Had a cadet return from lockdown with some announcements about things they’d discovered about themselves and spent a lot of time talking about it and answering questions - fair and reasonable ones from their curious and empathetic peers.

Tbh, apart from a mention in recruit briefings about EDI and not discriminating, I think we’ll wait until the next time we need to and allow those to do whatever in their own way.

I’m not going to run an Aspire session with someone better knowledgeable than me in the room.

Staff awareness courses are a different thing that I do feel hold value.

4 Likes

That’s mainly how my squadron does it; when it’s relevant, we look into it

Personally, as a CFAV, I would refuse to deliver or participate in any lessons on gender & sexuality, critical race theory, transgenderism, BLM etc*. The current trend is at odds with my personal and religious beliefs. No problem if someone else wanted to do it - I’d sit in the office and catch up with admin. I don’t think I’m alone.

*I don’t have a problem with cadets and CFAVs who believe this stuff. I would treat them just like any other cadet or CFAV.

4 Likes

We had a few cadets come back from lockdown with self discovery too - one of the last virtual parade nights we ran was the presentation from our wing ASPIRE rep… They had a really well put together lesson plan and thought provoking materials.

I wouldn’t attempt running that myself though.

On our wing MOI courses we touch on educational needs such as autism and other neuro-business so we cover that off there.

2 Likes

That’s very kind of you - you sit in the office and do your admin…

I don’t have a problem with religious CFAV, I treat them the same as any other cadet or CFAV.

But when our padre does his nights I do tend to get involved - mainly because he is a great instructor with interesting and thought provoking content, even if we don’t share the same beliefs what’s the worst that could happen? I might learn something or become more empathetic.

14 Likes

I’d hope you are more alone than you think.

People with attitudes like yours are precisely why those lessons are needed.

8 Likes

Is it gay people you don’t agree with or black people having equal rights?

10 Likes

Now now… it might be the apex… Gay, black people with rights.

1 Like

There’s definitely other people like you in the Corps, and that’s no problem at all. My personal stance is that there’s no issues as long as you don’t get feisty about it.

Everyone will believe different things, and that’s part of our diversity imo

EDIT: I would say that I support some of the things you mentioned, mainly because of my experiences and general view of the world. Again, we all differ in our beliefs

3 Likes

Good to hear - I had a presentation from our then-LGBT rep and I really enjoyed it

I did the same with MOI, but I noticed a few things about the neuro-business that could do with some fine-tuning

1 Like

I’m a CI because I like what we offer cadets. We have and have had plenty of gay cadets. Never had a problem and any name calling is nipped in the bud and those using various names are reminded it’s not what we do and use of that outside cadets will get you in trouble.

We have cadets from various backgrounds and they are treated like any other cadet. I would never exclude a cadet because of their race or sexual orientation. We have a decent staff team who won’t stand for any downgrading behaviour.

Now for religion, I don’t have a religious bone in my body, but I will attend church parades if our cadets are having to be there. If you believe in something, then I respect that…as soon as you start talking about your beliefs then I will switch off.

4 Likes

I respect that wholeheartedly. I myself may not be gay (I’m ace) but we do have some gay or otherwise queer* cadets and we’ve never had any issues, as far as I am aware of.

*If anyone doesn’t like that word, I apologise

This is how every squadron should be when it comes to fostering a welcoming environment for all cadets and staff.

Sorta same here; I consider myself to be atheist but I never bunk out of church parades, otherwise we’d he looked down upon as insensitive to the fact that religion is important for certain people and occasions. If someone started talking about their beliefs, I wouldn’t mind an explanation for their beliefs etc., but general ranting or bashing is a snooze-fest

2 Likes

I never force my cadets to attend any church parades. They used to be mandated by my predecessor, one of the first things I did was make them entirely optional. So after remembrance parade if cadets want to attend they can (I ask that they do with their parents as it’s normally the end of the parade anyway). If they don’t want to attend, they don’t.

2 Likes

Our staff tend to ask if anyone has objections to going to church, but none of us have an issue with it

I think, perhaps, this is a part that needs a little elaboration - which “trend” are you talking about?

CRT is a hot button that we don’t really need to touch on - it’s bigger and more intricate than we could possibly comment on or influence. It’s also not what a lot of people think it is, predominantly USA specific - certainly in its original (decades old) form - and any parts that have leached over here were already in the conversation before having the label applied.

2 Likes