HM King Charles III - Coronation Medal

In all honesty, I’m not going to hold my breath on getting one. I’m still waiting for my PJM and if HQRAFAC can’t square something as simple as that away what are the chances we’ll get a coronation medal before William is king??

6 Likes

Going on the original post…

Coronation in May.

Tender for contract out now.

Another month, maybe two for MoD / Governmental dithering.

Puts contract selected maybe end of February or March.

Two, maybe three, months to manufacture and distribute gongs for, if the Late HM the Queen’s jubilee is anything to go by, the day of the event…

That’ll be cutting it fine.

2 Likes

But all they’ll do is give them out to those on parade, the rest can wait.

It’s an interesting one, they will need to be mounted so can’t just show up with a box of them on the day.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the design already existed, they’ve had long enough to sort one out over the years.

1 Like

I reckon that’s the case. But considering the absolute cluster that the MoD makes of literally everything else…

I wouldn’t be surprised.

1 Like

I refer colleagues to a previous comment in a different, but related, thread:

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure what the issue is…

It’s a genuine question about an absolute sliver of recognition for a group of lunatics who I’m genuinely in absolute awe of.

You couldn’t pay me to be a squadron commander. A piece of generic ribbon, that many people will no doubt be awarded, is the genuine least they could get.

It’s disgusting that CIs most probably again won’t be recognised… But that’s another rabbit hole.

4 Likes

Same at work, the Police Staff won’t get anything, they were promised a Challenge Coin style thing for the QPJ and they still haven’t gotten that.

Or newly uniformed staff who have enough service if CI service was included in the calculation.

Ours turned up in November so they do exist (collective ours, I wasn’t eligible either there or here but that’s fair enough)

1 Like

Id be happy with that.
Keep the riff raff out…
:joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

This can be done via a fast tender process.

1 Like

I suppose the only tender process I’ve dealt with is spares for aircraft.
That’s a lengthy process.

Can’t really do that when they have all the people with 5 a Medal last year.

It’s gonna go to Worcestershire Medals, they made the last 2.

1 Like

Can confirm the tender hasn’t been released yet. The “preferred” contractor hasn’t heard or been asked for any input yet.

I think it’ll be something different. After all, the 5 yrs for Her Majesty’s Jubilee medals (excluding silver), were as a recognition of service during Her reign; the King won’t even have a year at the Coronation.

I’d take a guess at Royal Household, ‘the great and good’ and maybe some for distribution to ‘deserving others’, pretty much like the Silver Jubilee.

1 Like

My grandfather was awarded the Queen’s Coronation Medal in 1953 when it was a limited distribution to those involved in the event itself and the royal “household”. In these austere times I suspect this more frugal approach may be what happens. However, my son is serving at present and has the QPJM. It would be nice to have this one within the family history. The only one missing is the Silver Jubilee one but that also was limited in it’s distribution.

1 Like

Interested to see that one of the big medal mounters has the Coronation Medal on their list already marked as TBC.

1 Like

Perhaps this is going to be a quick and easy turn around.

A simple… everyone who got the QPJM gets the C3 medal.

As the qualifying year would be different (assuming equivalent criteria) you may find that some people who missed out on the jubilee due to not attending enough sessions during covid would now qualify for the coronation.