GPJ and NCOs

Just out of curiosity

Are cadet NCO’s permitted to wear a GPJ?

Only asking because I have seen cadet NCO’s wearing them before and got told different stories saying you are allowed and other people saying your not?

What is the regulations for GPJ

that time of the year again

Couldn’t be simpler.
The dress regulations prohibit cadets of any rank from wearing GPJs. They are authorised only for staff.

A few years ago it seems that ATC aquired a boat load of them from the RAF for some reason which were distibuted near and far (despite them only been permitted for Commissioned Officers back then).
As is standard, many Squadrons made up their own rules and issued them to cadet NCOs anyway.

ok thanks for this :slight_smile:

the cadet NCO’s can wear GPJ’s if they wish but ONLY at the squadron and i think that must be our squadrons rules

[quote=“woodhouse2152” post=5631]ok thanks for this :slight_smile:

the cadet NCO’s can wear GPJ’s if they wish but ONLY at the squadron and i think that must be our squadrons rules[/quote]

NO

[quote="AP1358C]General Purpose Jacket
Issued to Officers
(Optional) WO’s/SNCO’s (ATC)
through private source[/quote]

Page 58 for males & Page 89 for Females.

Quite clearly cadets do not wear it. This rulebook is not a set of guidelines as some seem to think.

[quote=“themajor” post=5642][quote=“woodhouse2152” post=5631]ok thanks for this :slight_smile:

the cadet NCO’s can wear GPJ’s if they wish but ONLY at the squadron and i think that must be our squadrons rules[/quote]

NO

[quote="AP1358C]General Purpose Jacket
Issued to Officers
(Optional) WO’s/SNCO’s (ATC)
through private source[/quote]

Page 58 for males & Page 89 for Females.

Quite clearly cadets do not wear it. This rulebook is not a set of guidelines as some seem to think.[/quote]

Why not? If they’ve got one and they’re only wearing it at their unit then who cares? It’s better than hoodies or pacamacs over uniform.

Originally SNCO(ATC) weren’t included in the dress regs until they had a massive collective sulk over the fact.

Or they could just wear the issued jacket?

so whenthe cadets have a massive collective sulk about it and AP1358C gets updated to reflect the fact, then the cadets can then wear them. Until then, as themajor says, they can not and should not. Let them wear Jeltex!

Cadets are scaled for 1 foul weather jacket, so when the weather is foul that’s what they wear, ergo your Supply Officer needs to request enough for 1 per cadet from your parent unit, if not already issued.

SNCOs are scaled for FW Jackets too…

FW jackets very, very rarely get issued…

The GPJ doesn’t serve the same purpose as the FWJ…

It’s always nice to see a group of cadets shivering in shirtsleeves or jumpers while some fat SNCO strides around in his GPJ going: “You can’t have one of these, it’s not allowed, but I can because I’m special.” Special obviously in the sense that if he and his mates throw a tantrum about not being allowed to wear an item of kit they aren’t scaled for they get the rules changed…

Because that’s the nub. SNCOs and WOs aren’t scaled for GPJs. Somebody said “Let them wear jeltex” and they all went “But that’s not fair. Wah, wah, snivvle” and rather than have an earthquake caused by the effect of thousands of teddies being simultaneously thrown, they changed the rules.

It’s a jacket. It’s uniform. Grow up.

I’m going to stick an edit on the end of this, because its 1400 on a Wednesday on an Assignment Week, and I tend to post my grumpiest posts under those circumstances. ears puts it much better, but I hope one of the really fat, hypocritical CFAV types who are rare but not as rare as they should be (thinking of the WO who watched the soles fall off a cadet’s boots and just shrugged) reads my post and explodes in a cloud of pompous, self righteous pink mist like Henry VIII after his death. If you’re not one of them then feel free to ignore it.

Agreed.

As most people say its a jacket. Whats the real issue?

They look much smarter in my opinion than crisp packets that are often stored in bottom of wardrobes months on end!

[quote=“tango_lima” post=5654]SNCOs are scaled for FW Jackets too…

FW jackets very, very rarely get issued…
[/quote]

I’m confused, very rarely get issued by whom? Parent station or Sqn stores?

[quote=“ears” post=5655]As most people say its a jacket. Whats the real issue?[/quote]The real issue is that it is not permitted, therefore it is not to be worn with uniform. I can see no good reason why they aren’t permitted but they aren’t so until that position gets reversed it is just tough.

Wear the Jeltex (which should be issued - if it isn’t then ask why not) or either change the order of dress to one more suitable to the weather or bin the activity.

If we are just talking travel to/from the squadron then stick a civvy jacket over the top like everybody else does? It is also technically forbidden but doesn’t seem to raise any eyebrows :slight_smile:

[quote=“incubus” post=5658]

If we are just talking travel to/from the squadron then stick a civvy jacket over the top like everybody else does? It is also technically forbidden but doesn’t seem to raise any eyebrows :)[/quote]

Technically forbidden but smart and uniform = bad
Technically forbidden but mixed dress/looks awful = good

Got it, thanks.

[quote=“tango_lima” post=5659]Technically forbidden but smart and uniform = bad
Technically forbidden but mixed dress/looks awful = good[/quote]I wonder what the majority of cadets who don’t have a GPJ do in that case :slight_smile:

If they are travelling to/from the unit they could even turn up in civvies and change there. If they are using proper cover-up procedures they’ll have a civvy jacket and over-trousers on. In those instances, when does it matter a damn if they are smart and uniform? It is perhaps odd that cadets and staff will frequently travel with a civvy jacket over the top of uniform yet doesn’t seem to elicit any comments while the GPJ is some sort of aggro-magnet. This may be because of the misinformation which has grown to surround it.

If we are talking about some public event outdoors which warrants additional protection, use a Jeltex and/or have them wear appropriate undergarments. If it is too cold or too wet, go inside.

Cadets are (currently) not allowed to wear the GPJ. It is easy to follow that regulation without any adverse impact, so lets all do it.

FW Jackets are easily obtained if a demand is raised through the correct channels with the parent station.

If a civvy jacket is worn, then headdress is not.

The GPJ ‘local rules’ of cadet SNCOs is a clear ego boost to them, because without the GPJ they would obviously be rubbish SNCOs…

What activities are people doing in blues that are resulting in cadets being cold despite wearing a shirt, jersey and jeltex jacket?

The only one I can think of is standing around for a long time on a formal parade, at which point no one would be wearing a GPJ anyway.

[quote=“themajor” post=5663]
The GPJ ‘local rules’ of cadet SNCOs is a clear ego boost to them, because without the GPJ they would obviously be rubbish SNCOs…[/quote]

Change ‘local’ to ‘Corps wide’ and ‘cadet’ to ‘adult’. What’s the difference?

I can’t really disagree with you. So why was it so difficult for adult SNCOs to do the same?

As to wearing civvy jackets over uniform: it’s streng verboten, troops. Has been for ages. Anyone other than motorcyclists doing the same on or around an RAF station would have their head ripped off (or so routine orders keep reminding me).

at the end of the day, why cant cadets wear GPJ’s?

It looks good and its a suitable jacket for cadets to wear while travelling to the sqn or to activities?
It also gives a confident boost to some individuals and its better than wearing a crisp packet that it always to big on someone which is only designed for rain…

The GPJ says it in the name a General Purpose Jacket and thats why I think cadets should be allowed to wear them and I see no problem why they shouldnt

Rant over

[quote=“woodhouse2152” post=5681]
It also gives a confident boost to some individuals [/quote]

please explain this?

crisp packets and GPJ’s will generally come in the same sizes so doubtful you will find a GPJ to fit a cadet if you can not find a crisp packet, plus they both do completely different jobs!