Gliding wings for civilian solo?

If staff holding civvie PPLs and Gliding Quals get to wear ‘wings’ on their Number 1s and jumpers then will the numerous RAF personnel that hold same be able to also wear them - I suspect not? It will just turn RAFAC personnel in to a laughing stock on stations.

3 Likes

Moreso than some already are, you mean.

Is this a staff badge review only or a cadet and staff badge review?

It’s an RAF Review, which has taken place and took effect from 1 Apr 20 with a 12 month transition.

Nope this is a RAFAC review ffor blue through gold, separate from the RAF changes to flying badges.

RAF holding mil gliding pilot and instructor quals are already able to where the flying badge if they wish. Maybe they’ll also extend it down to the lower levels if adult RAFAC staff are granted the ability to wear them?

With the new RAF Badges theres only for gliding now with a crown…when you get G1 do you get the crown straight away…

RAFAC Adult staff can and do wear gliding pilot and instructor wings already - these as you say are RAF brevets, not RAFAC and such badges can also be worn by appropriately qualified cadets, (although there are very few now)

Your posts seem to suggest that RAFAC CFAV are going to be wearing RAFAC brevets as per cadets. This isn’t done for any other activity quals (shooting, first aid, road marching DofE etc etc), save for the Parachute ‘lightbulb’ badge, so why would we do so for flying and gliding?

1 Like

He said they might…as in you never know it might happen.

But I get your point

Cadets can and do wear the glider pilot and instructor flying badge.

If it’s done for the parachuting badge, no reason why it couldn’t be done for the flying badge?

What do you think EFT is?
It is a glorified PPL with a minutiae of IR training and basic formation flying.

Its ELEMENTARY flying training.

Followed by type training. Then wings awarded.

So if CFAVs have 5000+ flying hours across 10+ types and instructor ratings etc etc.

I would argue that there should be dispensation to allow those people who meet what ever grade matching is required to wear wings.
Least it symbolises that they are professionally aviator trained in our aviation organisation.

3 Likes

Stupid Question - In EFT, what more than the PPL requirements of VOR Tracking/Identifying are they learning?

Are they going as far as learning Holds & Approaches?

I’m asking in the capacity as a PPL/CPL instructor who is looking at becoming an IR® Instructor when things ‘get back to normal’.

There is a huge difference between the training and standards needed to gain the RAF Fkying Badge and anything RAFAC offers staff / cadets. In the civilian world holding a PPL wouldn’t cut it, IMHO if you were looking at equivalencies than maybe an ATPL may be the kind of level needed.

I’m not talking about the RAF pilot or reserve pilot badge.

I’m referring to the RAFAC flying badges silver and gold for first solo and PPL respectively

Thank you for clarifying, when you said the ‘flying badge’ I understood that to mean the RAF Flying Badge. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

As we know the Gold Air Cadets ‘Wings’ are currently awarded for ACPS, or C Wings for a ‘civilian’ first solo. Maybe a suitable solution would be for staff/ cadets holding PPLs to wear the RAF Preliminary Flying Badge as worn by UAS members that have progressed on from first solo and undertaken nav training, emergencies etc etc.

This has standing / recognition in the RAF and therefore would be suitable for staff to wear and for cadets would be recognition of training and qualification over and above first solo.

On the other hand, the Preliminary Flying Badge might reasonably be seen as closer…
aka Budgie Wings

1 Like

though that’s not what is being discussed

The editing of my post crossed with your post making the same suggestion - it would seem a good way to progress!

Budgie wings are awarded after a course delivered by an RAF QFI, the RAF won’t countenance the same award for people being taught by ‘random’ PPL instructors.

I see the uber kin has spoken :roll_eyes:

Sorry but passing EFT and being typed ‘dont impressing me much’.