Gliding wings for civilian solo?

There is nothing for staff outside of VGS/AEF

But mere scum who deserve no recognition of flying skill, ability, or knowledgeā€¦ even in an aviation related youth organisation!

3 Likes

Why should RAF uniform recognise non-RAF/Armed Forces qualifications?

Because we are constantly told that civilian expertise should be recognised and are useful to the Corps and they are keen to recognise this experienceā€¦? And the organisation recognises us as volunteersā€¦ And flying opportunities and getting on a VGS is almost impossibleā€¦ And why would an organisation thats USP is flying, not recognise members that can actually fly?

Why recognise cadet achievement in flying outside the organisation/RAF?

2 Likes

Plus how else do I let everyone know Iā€™m a pilot! Iā€™ve been in quarantine so Iā€™ve had no-one to tell!:cry::cry::cry::cry:

5 Likes

Because then the uber skygods in their Viking gliders wouldnt be so special with their brevets and flight suits.
2/6 FTS would never allow it.
ā€˜Diminishes their god like statusā€™

2 Likes

Out of curiosityā€¦ what badges would you have for staff?

Blue for PPL.
Bronze for CPL.
Silver for ATPL.
Gold for sky god Captain and or TRE?

Iā€™m joking btw.

1 Like

Something can be recognised without being emblazoned on your person.

And itā€™s not that Iā€™m a bitter ex-blunty who never got a badge. Honest.

Iā€™m sure youā€™ve got a watch 6x bigger than your head and a coordinated pair of snazzy sunglasses :wink:

1 Like

The watch, fair enough, but leave the sunglasses out of this! :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Watch & Sunglasses Iā€™ve not had a reason to wear for a monthā€¦ working on the Biggles mustache to compensate :sweat_smile:

There are lots of things I have not had much reason to wear for about a month!

1 Like

Wait until the new flying badge release later this year there might be something in there for staff too.

What new flying badge releaseā€¦
Why do we need yet more badges.

Iā€™ve never really liked the look of the shoulder pad with two different flying BADGES on them, it looks a bit strange. Perhaps there could be a badge design that says ā€œIā€™ve done everythingā€ and it and only it is worn?

its a good point.

For shooting, of which there are four different weapon (air rifle, 0.22, L98A2 and L81A2) options there is only ever one badge worn - the highest achievement attained from the 16 available.

yet for flying, two options (Flying and Gliding) both are worn regardlessā€¦

1 Like

Nail, head, hit :+1:

Lol. Bit irrelevant.
Havent had one of my cadets fly or glide at all for almost 2 years now.
Come 7th May its 2 years.

Good for you, but thatā€™s not really the point. There is still gliding and powered flying happening in this organisation and cadets who want to do both! Iā€™d be interested to know how none of your cadets have had any opportunities whatsoever, not even AEF?

Easy.

From my flying and gliding spreadsheet in front of me.

x3 cancellations of AEF due weather.
x2 cancellations of AEF due airfield requirements.
x1 cancellation due covid19

x2 gliding cancellations due weather.
x1 gliding cancellation due double booked slot and poor admin at VGS. We were on route from further destination and got cx when other Sqn arrived early.
x1 cancellation due covid 19.

Each x1 above represents a group not an individual.

So all ā€˜legitā€™ reasons. But added together means that no flying or gliding at my Sqn for 2 years.

I dont have records of any camp flying on me.
But that is a separate kettle of lost opportunity.

As @tingger says wait until changes later in the year. Some of the issues above may well have been resolved by then.