Gliding "paused"

3AEF still deploys to St Mawgan.

1 Like

Surely the childā€™s best interest is to spend time with their parents.

Canā€™t be doing that, makes them look like a service provider, rather than take it or leave it as they work now.
The last few annual camps there hasnā€™t been any Tutor AEF (and not much chance for any other flying as training flights are almost defunct) as either they wonā€™t have cadets mid-week or they wonā€™t move around. This is a complete change to what weā€™ve known for years and years, when AEF was the priority at camp and everything was worked around it.

1 Like

Although this has been the case for well over 20 years. Previous to this AEF was achieved from Exeter airport.

Lots of credit must go though to all involved who managed to keep the AEF detachment alive when the airfield at SMG became a civilian airport, the whole story is an undeniable success and good news story.

As for Gliding provision in the South West, letā€™s not go thereā€¦

1 Like

Very frustrating, no movement on ACTO35.

Next ā€œstrategy meetingā€ that will discuss this is at the Ivory Towers on 11 Aug = any decisions / action will not be any sooner than autumn (I know, Iā€™m an optimist! :wink: ) = another summer without additional flying options as per ACTO35. :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

So it looks like 2fts havenā€™t got the message about flights in non-service aircraft! Apparently, this form is required for the aerospace camp.

Or does this mean the ban has been lifted?

Unless 2FTS are doing their own thing? :flushed:

Nothing hear from our Reg Av O - & I pester him frequently!!

Just leave it blank, or put unknown. Seem to remember putting something similar last year.

Wasnā€™t my question - just found it on Facebook

The 2FTS Form 002 was previously a requirement under ACTO35; that ACTO is no longer showing on SharePoint - therefore the 2FTS form needs a published ā€œauthorityā€ to use as all such flights were frozen quite some while ago. Of course, it also had to be linked with 2FTS Form 001.

I believe that in previous years, they were able to use RAF Micro lights. However thatā€™s not happening this year, & for whatever reason, the 2FTS form wasnā€™t deleted from the pack-up.

With regard to ACTO35, I have received interim feedback that (a) flights in non-Service aircraft are still frozen & (b) donā€™t hold your breath for getting this procedure back. There seems to be too much nervousness about the perceived risk from the DDH chain.

I find it very strange that they will not consider CAA-approved flying clubs (significant regulation / over-sight) & / or BGA sites. Yes, perhaps discount Joe Bloggs & his privately owned C150, whatever (too much paperwork / checking), but not organisations / companies.

seems the gliding pause is no longer for 63 Vigilantsā€¦

You have got to be kidding me

2 Likes

Wow. Unbelievable. :vmad:

2 Likes

on the bright side, who wants a new SOV (or is that SOA?)

Aircraft that arenā€™t used for flights will be refurbished and sold to generate revenue for the charity, pay for the ongoing costs of their operational fleet and help them branch out into other parts of the British Isles.

Iā€™m confusedā€¦ The MOD is pleased with the sale, yet the sale is funded by the governmentā€¦

Iā€™d be annoyed if it was a straight-up sale, but considering we couldnā€™t get fundingā€¦

And Iā€™m sure I remember being told that refurbishment was cost-inefficient - clearly they donā€™t think soā€¦

1 Like

What the f.

Why couldnt we get that grant from the DoT? Why couldnt we have them refurbished.
Why is 2fts and 6fts so ball achingly bad at their jobs.
Why are we always getting screwed by poor management.
Why do our cadets always miss out.

How has dawn not been fired.

1 Like

You couldnā€™t make it up. Itā€™s like a kick in the face, no matter how honourable their next role will be (which I applaud, donā€™t get me wrong).

2 Likes

And on top of that, they will be allowed to sell Gliders bought with the grant, and keep the money themselvesā€¦

What a kick in the balls for VGS staffā€¦

3 Likes

Nevermind the vgs staff.
Thatā€™s 10000 flights a year lost. Forever.
It used to be we as an organisation could offer to get every cadet in the air at least once per year.

I have had NO cadet fly/glide or anything for 18 months.

Cancellations due maintenance.
No slots.
Cancellation due airfield closure.

Sick to my back teeth with the ā€˜senior officersā€™ who just mince around, screwing the capability of this organisation.

If we wernt hamstrung by having to take cast off leaders from the MOD and could tender for a capable chief executive etc we would be so much better off.

Screw you Dawn and all your sicofantic followers.

6 Likes