FW Jackets

I been issued the wet weather type gortex, the type with the reflective stripe and taps on the shoulders. These should be issued to all SNCO’s and officers. Cadets are issued the “crisp packets” jeltex

Not according to the dress regs. Also, when I went for my kitting I was excited because I thought that’s what they were giving me but then they turned around and went “oh no that’s the wrong one”.

I also can’t think of anyone I know that was issued one.

Anyone got the scaling sheet to hand? I was trying to find it and am either blind or struggling to grasp simple technology…

Definitely not the case when I got kitted out at Shawbury a couple of months ago. I received a jeltex and a GPJ.

https://rafac.sharepoint.com/:w:/r/sites/interim/QM/_layouts/15/Doc.aspx?sourcedoc={62AD1BC2-0616-4D5F-A4AA-FBE4B4CBF357}&file=TG%20Sup%20Form%20007.docx&action=default&mobileredirect=true

When I went for initial kitting at the end of last year they said we were not scaled for GPJ as SNCO’s but they did issue the gortex jacket as this was scaled. I just posted the scaling form, does anyone know if the NSN matches the gortex or jeltex?

Only the first part given which matches both, unfortunately. However, I have now found AP 830…

https://rafac.sharepoint.com/sites/interim/2%20FTS/2%20FTS%20Document%20Library%20Forms%20and%20Publications/20140113-JSP768_Clothing_Scales_RAF_Scales-U.pdf#search=ap830

Adult WO and SNCO:
1181 JACKET, F/W, Blue, MK 3 - JELTEX

Officers get the same but also GPJ. I never knew that… Well, it says “VR(T) Officers”…

It is dated 2004, but I wouldn’t put it past someone trying to not issue them for that reason if it’s still the one in use.

NSN range given only applies to the Jeltex and not the MVP.

Good luck to anyone who tries this:

Leading and Senior cadet badges may, however, be retained and worn during recruit training by former cadets who enlist in the RAF.

6 Likes

Please give a reference to where you saw that (ie is it from the current AP1358C?)

This was entirely-standard practice during the post-WW2 RAF National Service era, and would’ve survived until the early/mid 1970s when BDs were withdrawn.

Note also that the picture that is titled “RAF Greatcoat” is actually a former Offrs greatcoat that’s been tailored-down to being an RAF ‘British Warm’.

It’s far too short, and has the wrong buttons.

As well as the much-higher hemline (compared to a standard greatcoat) and the blue leather buttons instead of standard staybrites/brass, the rear half-belt and the riding frock-tail will all have been altered away.

The cuffs are wrong for a British Warm (they’re meant to be unturned like a WW2 greatcoat, and blue leather buttoned) but…at least they remembered to put the correct rank-slides on it (I jest: they forgot to put any on)

AP 830 as linked above. The relevant scales are 702 and above (pg 418 onwards).

I don’t have access to any other resource library to find if there’s an updated version.

AP1358C refers to JSP 886 Vol 6 Pt 5, but the only links to that I can find suggest it’s withdrawn.

1 Like

By all rights, that picture shouldn’t have made it into the book. It was taken to the shoot by the officer wearing it, for a bit of poos and giggles, I don’t think he ever thought he would make it into the manual!

This cant be an issue FW Jacket?

Is it one of the reversible ones?

Hotdamn…

raf-blue-high-vis-waterproof-jacket-2-in-1

1 Like

That is a monstrocity…

[quote=“AlexCorbin”]
That is a monstrocity… [/quote] sensible Personal Protective Equipment, entirely-appropriate in certain contexts.

Or are we saying somehow that uniformed RAFAC personnel should never wear hi-viz safety clothing?

I think he is saying that this chimaera is an abomination as it is neither one thing nor another. It seems to be the sort of thing that would not be particularly comfortable worn in reverse, while showing an unnecessary flash of yellow if worn blue-side out. I wonder if they also do reversible MVP trousers as part of the set, so we can look like highway maintenance workers!

Normally we just throw a day-glo waistcoat on the top and job’s a good-un!

That’s great :joy::joy:

Next you will have a training session on when to wear it as hi-vis and when it should be normal blue.
Obviously if it’s not added to your sms you cant wear uniform.

Part of me wants one…

It is a cropped photo from a CCF summer camp photo

Why did no one think of making the collar and cuffs black?

It would have made zero difference to its utility as a high-vis jacket and vastly improved its look in “blue mode”!

Presumably they’re for snowdrops?