FW Jackets

Hi All,

Just wanted to clarify the following:

1. Is the FW jacket (seen it mentioned in some other thread) the same as the standard-issue Jeltex? I’ve heard it is an ‘optional purchase’ so it isn’t standard-issue - does that imply it is not the same as the Jeltex?
  2. Is the FW jacket (if the answer is ‘no’ for [1]) available for purchase by NCOs in the CCF (RAF)?

Would be very grateful if someone could attach a photo of a FW jacket - sadly can’t find it either in AP1358C or on Google!

Many thanks in advance! :smile:

I assume you mean this
If so, it is an issued piece of uniform that everyone can wear

I actually don’t know - I believe you picture shows a Jeltex. I just don’t know if there is a difference between a FW jacket and a Jeltex. I know GP jackets are not for Cadets but I’ve also heard FW jackets can be “bought at personal expense”. Jeltex jackets are issued (with no personal expense) so are FW jackets different?

Please advice!

The cadets on pages 79 and 114 are wearing Jeltex.
(the 2nd image of the Officer on p79 is also wearing a Jeltex jacket, not an MVP jacket as stated)

There are two types of FW jacket:

• The Jeltex, which is the only one permitted for wear by cadets
  • The MVP (goretex) jacket is optional for staff, and may indeed be what they get issued, depending on the station.

The general purpose jacket is optional expense for adult staff only

Point of little interest:

Jeltex is “Jacket, Foul Weather”
My Goretex is “Jacket, Wet Weather”

Oh I see - so “FW Jacket” is a blanket term covering both Jeltex (all ranks) and MVP (staff)!

Could someone please confirm this?

My colleague who has just passed OASC wasn’t given one, but then when he contacted the station and asked if he should have been issued one, they said yes so he went back for it.

Edit: I’m referring to the GPJ, not foul weather.

FW Jacket is scaled for and should be issued to all cadets, as should slacks for females. Commonly known as Jeltex due to the material.

WW Jackets are issues to CFAVs and are the goretex variety and have the reflective strip on the rear (still awaiting this item from my initial issue)

GP Jackets are issued to ATC Officers (not CCF based on my OIC) not sure if this is the case for SNCOs

1 Like

Lucky begger.

@James_Smith, FW jacket is a term used generically for both - you’re going to wear one or the other in “foul” weather.

Jeltex is issued to all, including staff.
The MVP/“Goretex” jacket is optional and able to be purchased by staff.

All above as per @MattB and the photo on pg79 is indeed wrong as per @incubus.

2 Likes

I see - thank you very much. BTW the ‘wrong’ photo is on pg 69 on my copy of the AP1358c - is my copy somehow ‘wrong’?

Latest version is V3.0, Dec 2018.

Would you mind attaching a link to said version?

I think this varies on station, as myself and other CFAVs on my squadron were issued the standard jeltex jackets like cadets.

I’ve never seen a wet weather with a reflective stripe though, how long have they been around?

If you dont have access to bader Google witney sqn air cadets they have a resource section on thier website that they keep really up to date.

2 Likes

Wait, this is interesting, do the regs specify cadets may wear “Jeltex” jackets, or do they just require cadets to wear “FW jackets”

Of it’s the latter, there is therefore no prohibition on cadets wearing the nicer ones?

I’d infer not. I know you like your loopholes, but…

Pg 79 “jeltex issued to all”, “mvp private purchase for Off/SNCO”

Pgs 40-49 the phrase “only the jeltex jacket can be worn by cadets” is used a few times. Usually against a reference to GPJs for staff, but still…

@AlexCorbin Thank you - amazing website! You’ve been so helpful to me!

2 Likes

No worries