Fuel claims

[quote=“steve679, post:18, topic:1914, full:true”]if a company is not paying the “full” amount of 45p/mile you can claim the remainder from the Government, i believe an annual thing as part of the “tax returns” system. you can then claim the additional 20p (in our case) for each mile covered.

employers, companies, organisations are not bound to offer mileage, and so choose their own limits[/quote]
Given the flexibility demanded by the majority of employers, not paying the HMRC rate would not be regarded as a good idea. I don’t know of anyone who is entitled to claim business mileage for private car use who doesn’t get 45p/mile.

Not too sure about company cars, but as I don’t have one, not something I’m going to get bothered about.

you’d think.

my Dad got 45p/mile a mile but my ex used to only get 25p…it does happen for those companies out there who are tight!

1 Like

Sorry for using old post but does anyone know the current mileage for RAFAC duties (going to events etc) not home to Sqn (although I’m guessing it is the same figure). I tried looking in ACP300 and couldn’t find it.

And, if less than the 45ppm, I’m assuming we can claim the difference back as tax relief, as the above and as I do for work.

RAFAC Key Documents > Remuneration & Allowances category

Currently 25p per mile

Yes, you should be able to claim the additional 20p/m tax relief. How you claim may depend on how you file your taxes but as you mention that you already do similar for work then it should be the same for RAFAC mileage.

The government rate is 45ppm for the first 10000 miles. You can do it all online and it will take a few minutes but is definitely doable.

“Tax doesn’t have to be taxing…”

I wish that were true… Well, it is for me at the moment because I’m not paying any; but once business picks up again and I’m claiming my own mileage self-employed as well as looking at claiming the difference on RAFAC mileage I can forsee it being a PITA.

On the insurance issue of claiming mileage; is “personal business use” ok…?

I’m renewing shortly and have had a long conversation with a new insurer and they are certain this would be sufficient, whereas I’ve had “business use” before…

No. F1771 states you sign to say have business insurance

Does it not say appropriate insurance? My last policy I didn’t have business cover, but I did have specific cover for cadet use. They added it on for free, and it put a statement on my insurance saying I was insured for cadet use including carrying passengers and property.

Hmm :thinking: maybe!

I certify that on the dates covered by this claim: (tick appropriate box)

1. I had a valid driving licence and the vehicle was insured iaw ACP 300, FI 311
2 Likes

And ACP300 says:

1. Adequate insurance cover. It is the personal responsibility of an individual using his/her private motor vehicle (para 7 above refers) in respect of authorised RAF Air Cadets activities to ensure that the vehicle insurance policy covers the risks and is insured for business use (which, notwithstanding the voluntary nature of the RAF Air Cadets, will require insurance for occasional business use or as advised by the individual’s insurer) along with a valid Road Tax and current MoT, and that all are valid on the date the journey is undertake
1 Like

This is what I had before I actually needed business anyway:
(The word cadets is only weirdly highlighted because I was searching for this email)

I do remember being told by the insurer this was only okay because I was a CI and couldn’t claim VA. Had I been in uniform they would have needed me to get business cover.

1 Like

I’d only remembered seeing this! :sweat_smile:

Thanks both. I just do it on the Gov page, I found it all to be quite straightforward when I did it for work. Hopefully it will be when I do for Cadets!

Just to resurrect this thread in relation to the requirement to have business class insurance to claim the 25p per mile.

There is a member of staff who has a Motability car. All Motability cars and covered by their own motor insurance. Member of staff asks for business class insurance to claim fuel for RAFAC activates. Motability say that there is no need to add business insurance for HTD etc, you have sufficient cover.
A bit of e-mail pingpong later along the lines of you must have business class ins from whq and staff member saying insurance company says no. Eventually letter from company was sufficient and no business ins needed for claim.

2 Likes

Admittedly this paragraph relates to MMA, but ACP300 is very clear so it really shouldn’t have been such an issue:

1. Adequate insurance cover. It is the personal responsibility of an individual using his/her private motor vehicle (para 7 above refers) in respect of authorised RAF Air Cadets activities to ensure that the vehicle insurance policy covers the risks and is insured for business use (which, notwithstanding the voluntary nature of the RAF Air Cadets, will require insurance for occasional business use or as advised by the individual’s insurer) along with a valid Road Tax and current MoT, and that all are valid on the date the journey is undertaken.
2 Likes

I can’t check right now, but as well as ACP 300 quoted above, there is a bit in ACP 150 that says you just need to make sure your insurance is not invalidated. It doesn’t stipulate that it needs to be business. Their if their insurance company said it’s okay, then it is.

1 Like

this may help some people