FPV Drone flying

I’ve been thinking about starting up FPV Drone flying at the squadron and wondered if anyone has any advice/experience/thoughts about anything (dangerous I know)

RAFAC and CAA guidance and the “Drone Code” don’t apply to indoor flying of drones, so I was looking at getting a few FPV kits such as the BetaFPV Cetus Kit. then setting out courses around a classroom to fly and do time-trials etc

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Know any discounts of better value kits?

1 Like

Really good fun. If indoors the fun police can’t get you.

I’ve known of one or two that feel a bit sick on the goggles, but that is the exception not the rule.

Fantastic for “serious” teaching of principles of flight, balancing forces etc etc - or to just let loose and have some fun.

We set up in a large hall some obstacle courses for our mini 2’s and had them race each other.

For the very minor expense of 1 set of blades on a very small bump it was well worth it - cadets had a great time.

1 Like

They look pretty awesome.

Think I’d buy a few extra sets of batteries.

2 Likes

This is good advice. Our mini 2 we got the extra 3 bay charging battery packs for each drone. Works well.

Apols for thread bump if inappropriate

Latest from our friends in green

Yes that is a DJI controller (and it looks like a great camp!)

2 Likes

meanwhile we are banned from flying drones outdoors . . .

1 Like

Local ACF have offered to help with shooting, AT, access to training areas. They are a decent bunch.

What can we offer in return aside from some very dated PowerPoints?

I had a go on their radios recently. I had to have a little lie down after.

5 Likes

I would still encourage people to go out and buy some FPV drone kits like the Cetus that I originally linked to. You can fly them indoors, they are so small that the risk assessment is very easy (biggest risk is hair wound around the motor/propeller, and it’s easy to make little routes to fly around.

Got a suitably qualified DI? Sword drill has been very popular here and has got a couple of Army cadets to swap sides.

On topic, we have a Cetus, trying to get to grips with it.

3 Likes

I’m going to investigate both the Cetus and getting a licensed pro drone op to do a show & tell lesson

I’ll be running my Cetus as part of a recruitment night tomorrow at the sqn, I’ll get some photo/video.

2 Likes

You are a gent :+1: and that is a fantastic idea

1 Like

STEM? Things that fly? But that’s meant to be our thing!

How dare they fill the gaps in our system that we designed and willfully don’t fulfill…

10 Likes

I know :grimacing:

1 Like

My take from this is a drone with a sword is the way forward!

3 Likes

Ok ACF is just trolling us now

2 Likes

And the embarrassment continues.

4 Likes

Anyone got the ACF CFAV joining link to hand?

1 Like

6 Likes

Can’t trust the army with drones, they’ll just end up flying them into the ground/ocean/etc