Facial Hair exemption

Hello everyone,

After visiting the GP this morning for something unrelated to the thread title, I enquired about him writing me a letter for exemption from shaving.

The GP didn’t really know what he should be writing, so is there a template available that he can sign or something similar?

I’ve never needed to attend the GP for shaving because I just use common sense and not shave, however given that I am going into uniform, I imagine it will become an issue. :roll_eyes:

Cheers
Valiant.

I think it’ll just be a note to outline what happens when you shave and that his recommendation is not to.

I would guess “I can confirm that @Valiant suffers skin infections directly as a result of shaving. As such I recommend that he does not shave for at least 3-5 working years (or until such time as a the hair falls off his face).”

1 Like

Just to make things easier for you it might be worth asking your WEXO for a copy of AP 1269 or ask them to look at it for you. This is referenced according to 1358C so should set out what is required.

1 Like

@Intruder @SecretSquirrel

Cheers guys!

1 Like

Just say your doctor signed you off, when queried why you don’t have a chit say it costed some money.

You would gladly obtain for the chit if RAFAC paid for the doctors bills incurred by having to carry out their duties…

4 Likes

I imagine I won’t be very popular though!

Friends are temporary.
Beards are forever.

6 Likes

That’s my new motto.

I do jest of course, but I do wonder if they can force you to spend money on a doctors certificates especially with medical confidentiality…

1 Like

Well, my GP seemed totally perplexed at what to sign, he couldn’t understand what I was asking. Granted, I’m probably jumping the gun as I’m not in a uniform just yet, but I just wondered what the process is.

Exactly, I’d just go with it and say if they want you to pay for it, they can pay for it.

RAF is a bit different in we have specific med chits that list our limitations, for example my chit states that I am, at the minute, unfit live arms. I’m sure a GP would probably scratch their head at that one too.

Could the OP go to an RAF Med Centre for a chit?

Obviously in your case there’s no fee, because the Med Centre does it. Wondered if that would be cheaper for the RAF overall. Of course that’s probably too much common sense…

Where I am, Odiham, won’t even see dependants due to manning levels.

Chances of a CFAV being seen for a routine appointment would be slim to none. They turned their noses up at me when I sliced my hand open at work. Said I should go to hospital not them…

If anybody needs more than a simple letter from a proper doctor verifying that the person in question has a legitimate need to avoid shaving, then they need a slap.

Wing can turn that into a bit of headed notepaper with the WExO’s signature on it to make it more official if it is helpful and that ought to suffice.

Or just claim you are muslim - you don’t need a chit for that!

5 Likes

I think the GP is unsure because normally you give them a medical form to sign off, whereas I’m now asking for them to write a letter from scratch.

Given that GPs and the whole of the NHS is overstretched at the moment, a letter to sign would be much quicker and simpler.

1 Like

Then write one.
However, I would assume the doctor has their own headed paper which would add credibility to the letter. Do they have personal stamps or some other form of authentication?

1 Like

I think so, I will have to ring and ask. I’ve never needed to go the GP with shaving because I just apply common sense and don’t shave is it causes my skin to flare up. To the GP, it’s a strange request.

it seems very odd that a GP writes a note and the ATC could reject it.

1 Like

I find it odd that we can’t tailor this to our needs in the ATC. It’s easier for RAF personnel because they probably see it often.

To a civvy GP, it’s an unusual request, which is made harder when there isn’t a form or something for them to simply sign.

@incubus

If I had to write one, how would I word it? This seems way more difficult than it needs to be.