Drone ban?

Does he now not have to give approval of IBNs before they are released? I thought I read that somewhere.

Banning them within the Air Cadet realm, doesn’t stop cadets and CFAV flying them, so it all seems a bit of a pointless gesture, a bit like HQAC etc…
It would be like banning any activity in the organisation which people can just do anyway. HQAC etc need to get a grip and make it so we can do things rather than finding all sort of convoluted ways of preventing it.
As soon as you get BS like this people find a way.

2 Likes

My reading of the current issue is that the “club rules” don’t correlate with the law.

As a non droner I don’t know the law, but I could go and find the ACTO and follow that and think I’m ok, when I fact I wouldn’t be.

What does concern me though is the desire for a PTS rather than this just being a fun activity. BUT as an Aviation focused training organisation I’m actually ok with that assuming we get something logical.

2 Likes

Things change quite quickly with the CAA in this space. Instead of rewriting the rules why not simply say this activity can go ahead but must conform with the CAA…

Anyone breaking the law will be prosecuted by the CAA and thrown out the organisation.

Then if squadrons/wings/regions want to do drone stuff it is up to the staff to make sure they are up to date - exactly the same as if they took a personal drone out on the weekend.

The CAA have a reputation for over complicating things however the drone regulations are written with Joe Public in mind - and so are actually pretty clear and easy to follow. Keep in mind they are written for the lowest common denominator to be able to go out and use the things.

The CAA have spent a lot of time and effort to ensure the regs are clear and the education sufficient.

Why reinvent the wheel when we can just follow that?

Any idiot that then breaks the rules has what’s coming to them; the same as if they broke any other law… it shouldn’t mean a total ban across the board.

9 Likes

So you mean just follow the rules etc already laid down and in place, by an organisation with responsibility for that activity, have you lost your mind? Far too sensible and wouldn’t appeal to the control freak mindset of HQAC etc.

1 Like

This.

And not just with drones.

1 Like

This is a useful resource, should anyone feel the need to operate a drone, outside of the RAFAC of course:

From the BFMA

HQAC (probably):
It’ll take to long to understand the legality and come up with own rules, better ban drones

Speaking with someone at the weekend, the ban has been put in place as a response to the survey that went out a while back.

Many responses stated equipment being used but without the relevant qualifications in place.

It doesn’t appear to be a reaction to an isolated incident but more of kickback from multiple errors.

1 Like

In the name of all that is holy, why would someone break the law/CAA rules/air navigation order and then tell management they did so on a survey?

Not that I am excusing it in any way, frankly as an air minded youth organisation anyone who breaches CAA rules should find a different hobby.

3 Likes

It funny having done the survey a while back it never asked what qualifications were held, it was just a what drones does a squadron use and who owns said drones,

As someone who has operated drones as a hobby and commercially for the past 5-6 years I find it hilarious that if we want to use drones for capturing PR stuff etc we need to follow a whole different set of RAFAC rules where as if a squadron or wing etc hired in someone externally to do it they would be operating under rules already laid out by the ANO and CAP722

One alternative for the meantime:

DJI have a free flight simulator. We have 5 Phantom Drones at our gaff, and have now installed the simulator on a few computers to test. The controllers plug directly into the computer via USB and allow people to fly using the control, it’s a nifty bit of kit, and even has a range of drones to practice with.

3 Likes

This is really interesting.
We have a DJI drone. I wasnt aware of the sim. Thanks!

A drone simulator, I wonder how many more stages we can go back until we are so far removed from flying that 2FTS don’t have to be involved!

7 Likes

Free version link is at the bottom

1 Like

Not ideal, prior to this ‘ban’ we had a good course going, training, plus build up to passing the CAA online drone test to get their ID, then practical training.

Usual HQAC knee jerk causing drama to everyone…

3 Likes

Well, 6FTS seem to be doing that well enough!

1 Like

But you it doesn’t work the small controllers only the legacy ones before the mavic came out I belive.

FWIW friends who fly these things professionally say it is better to learn on a used phantom or similar before going on to buy a ‘software does everything for you’ current model.

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.