DPM rucksack?

So I’ve been looking for a good greens rucksack and I’m not sure what size to get - would 33L be enough or should I go for 44? Has anyone had any camp experience, how much capacity do you need?

I like the Highlander Pro-Force versions 33l and 44l, what do you think?

I haven’t been on a camp yet (hoping to soon) so I don’t really know what size you need.

Thanks for any help in advance! :slight_smile:

Moved to the fieldcraft section.

Hi, and welcome to ACC! :slight_smile:

Firstly, what are you looking to use it for - as “greens” is a very loose definition! Are you looking for something for a full weekend, or just for patrolling and/or daysack?

My personal day sack is 30-40lt and does the job nicely.

I would avoid camoflague ones and go with Olive Green. Firstly, it means you can use it on other activities without looking like Rambo (so saving you money!) but also, and most importantly, they are more ally.

I would avoid Highlander as a brand. Similarly, I’d avoid Webtex, Tracpac, Milcom, Airjet & “Kombat UK”. Whilst they are cheap, they won’t last that long - and rupturing a rucksack mid exercise is a really bad plan!

You can normally pick up the issue DPM Patrol Pack (sometimes referred to as a Northern Ireland Pack) for about £20 on ebay, and around the same at most army surplus stores. They will last and are pretty much bombproof and will give you a good load out. Whilst they pretty much only come in DPM, the ones knocking around at the moment are often so faded that they may as well be OG!

Karrimor make the new issue 45lt patrol pack - but it’s generally only available in desert or MTP. There are black, tan and OG versions of this floating around - some from Karrimor (very rare!) and some ripoff copies.

Alternatively, Karrimor have a line called “Sabre” which are all quite tidy bits of kit and are well proven amongst the regular forces, as well as AT community. They are definitely available in green. Both the Berghaus Munro and the Snugpak Stamina are other popular daysacks amongst both communities too.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“Mattios” post=10121]So I’ve been looking for a good greens rucksack and I’m not sure what size to get - would 33L be enough or should I go for 44? Has anyone had any camp experience, how much capacity do you need?

I like the Highlander Pro-Force versions 33l and 44l, what do you think?

I haven’t been on a camp yet (hoping to soon) so I don’t really know what size you need.

Thanks for any help in advance! :)[/quote]

I use one of the 45L Karrimor rucksack with sidepouch zips. The benefit of them is that you can zip the sides together to make it smaller, or add sidepouches to make it bigger. It’s a very, very good rucksack.

Sadly, getting anything really good in DPM is very difficult these days, most firms having dropped DPM from their ranges.

I’d have a look on eBay or similar site, and see if you can pick up a second-hand Berghaus Munro.

Olive green so it’ll work for fieldcraft or AT, ally as, and it’ll outlive you unlike a Highlander/Webtex/etc product which will fall apart if you so much as look at it.

And if you come to get rid of it, it’ll still be worth what you paid for it in the first place!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Berghaus-Munro-in-olive-green-BNWT-RRP-59-/330981645854?pt=UK_SportingGoods_BackpacksRucksacks_Bags_EH&hash=item4d100b1e1e

1 Like

If you want to plan for the future, I’d say get one in MTP/Multicam instead of DPM.

:popcorn:

(Although I completely agree.)

Hi,

Thanks alot for your replies! They have really helped me :slight_smile: (still open to more!)

I will look around on the web a bit and post some that I find.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

[quote=“Batfink” post=10126]Hi, and welcome to ACC! :slight_smile:

You can normally pick up the issue DPM Patrol Pack (sometimes referred to as a Northern Ireland Pack) for about £20 on ebay, and around the same at most army surplus stores. They will last and are pretty much bombproof…[/quote]

Not quite :wink:

I said bombproof. Not handgrenadeproof.

Fieldcraft wise, I use an all arms bergen, also refered to as an Engineers Bergen, with 2 side pouches. Gives me plenty of room inside.

I’ll admit it! I have a webtex Patrol Pack. :whistle: it works fine, and I use that for general use, range days, day exercises. Not had any issues with it.

Another vote for the issue one. I used to have a Webtex one - OK, ish. My unit bought a series of cheap ones, which gradually died, over a period of several years (issued for field weekends then collected back in); the Highlander was the best of a bad bunch in that respect. But we have managed to get a set of the issue ones and they are way tougher.

On the other hand, OG or MTP is indeed the future-proof option…

[quote=“Batfink” post=10126]
Karrimor make the new issue 45lt patrol pack - but it’s generally only available in desert or MTP. There are black, tan and OG versions of this floating around - some from Karrimor (very rare!) and some ripoff copies.

Alternatively, Karrimor have a line called “Sabre” which are all quite tidy bits of kit and are well proven amongst the regular forces, as well as AT community. They are definitely available in green. Both the Berghaus Munro and the Snugpak Stamina are other popular daysacks amongst both communities too.

Hope that helps! :)[/quote]

The range issued to the armed forces is called “Predator”. “Sabre” is very similar but basically comes without molle loops etc and is more “civi” looking. There might be internal differences. They are made by a company called “Karrimor SF” and are quite easy to get in black, tan, green or multicam. It will set you back over £100 though, unless you can find a deal on ebay (usually in MTP though!).

Thanks alot for your responses! I am fairly confused with everyones different opinions though. Could you recommend some on Amazon/ebay that will be suitable for all round greens activities? Other people at my squadron have DPM (?) ones not just plain green.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

[quote=“Mattios” post=10541]Thanks alot for your responses! I am fairly confused with everyones different opinions though. Could you recommend some on Amazon/ebay that will be suitable for all round greens activities? Other people at my squadron have DPM (?) ones not just plain green.

Thanks again :)[/quote]

This is the future proof option: http://www.arrse.co.uk/content/854-review-issue-mtp-45l-patrol-daysack.html

(Technically wearable, prohibition is on MTP Clothing)

[quote=“Baldrick” post=10546][quote=“Mattios” post=10541]Thanks alot for your responses! I am fairly confused with everyones different opinions though. Could you recommend some on Amazon/ebay that will be suitable for all round greens activities? Other people at my squadron have DPM (?) ones not just plain green.

This is the future proof option: http://www.arrse.co.uk/content/854-review-issue-mtp-45l-patrol-daysack.html

(Technically wearable, prohibition is on MTP Clothing)[/quote]

I agree however be ready for someone to question why you are using an MTP daysack someone will get excited by it somewhere as they have nothing better to do…

[quote=“zinggy” post=10552][quote=“Baldrick” post=10546][quote=“Mattios” post=10541]Thanks alot for your responses! I am fairly confused with everyones different opinions though. Could you recommend some on Amazon/ebay that will be suitable for all round greens activities? Other people at my squadron have DPM (?) ones not just plain green.

(Technically wearable, prohibition is on MTP Clothing)[/quote]

I agree however be ready for someone to question why you are using an MTP daysack someone will get excited by it somewhere as they have nothing better to do…[/quote]

It’s why I recommend having AP1358C on your phone, to drop regular knowledge.

A good tip! I have it uploaded to our Sqn Facebook group so that everyone can read it

The advantage of an MTP daysack is that, even brand new, it is probably cheaper than getting the same thing in OG or tan!

If we’re preparing for the inevitable “you’re not allowed MTP” argument here’s all you need to know.

The order forbids the wearing of MTP or Multicam clothing and ancillaries.
Some over-zealous and ill-informed type may think this means daysacks, webbing, &c.
It doesn’t. “Ancillary Items” are t-shirt, thermal undershirt, thermal smock (and they don’t come in MTP anyway, they’re plain colour).