Double-hatted CFAVs

Random, sunny Sunday musings…

I was chatting to a colleague who helps out on a CCF unit and he observed that some of his cadets are also in the RAFAC/ACF. I think I’ve seen that mentioned in these fora also.

A random thought came to me…

Are there CFAVs who either do (for example):

1. RAFAC and CCF(RAF) or,
  2. RAFAC and ACF?

If that works, as they’re separate organisations (at least in the case of RAFAC and ACF), would that essentially half the time to attaining the CFM, assuming the commitments were maintained for both over 6 years? That could lead to a very glitzy ribbon!

Im pretty sure the regulations for the CFM explicitly exclude double counting 1 period even if you are in two eligible organisations so you would still have to wait the full 12 years. That rule also applied to the last 3 jubilee medals.

1 Like

Theres an officer in my Wing who is a Sqn Ldr CCF Test Officer as primary and also a Sqn OC

Also, have a SI RAF Flt Lt running a RAFAC Sqn

2 Likes

Well I think SIs who it seems can now be logged and tracked like legit CFAVs should start accruing time for the medal anyway.

If the commitment is the same and the only reason they’re not a CFAV is because they’re not allowed (but RAFAC will still take their time), then that should be uncontroversial. There’s nothing wrong with accruing time for multiple time-served awards simultaneously. Might also help increase the number of SIs…

It surprises me they’ve considered the case of a CFAV serving two separate organisations with two separate minimum commitment levels. Feels like they should actually be able to cash in early.

Tangent:

I wonder if reservists can also voluntarily choose to put three years to the CFM (to close it off early) while still serving.

I think they were able to trade clasps on the old reserve medals to get an instant award/time served towards the current long service medal if they wanted extra bling. But I digress…

1 Like

These are normally CS posts just wearing uniform, so wouldn’t count. Some are CCF Det Cdrs who have taken on role, again wouldn’t count.

1 Like

No OC Test but senior team around them

Dont disagree or time counts toward long service medal so they get it sooner

I do think that SIs should be awarded CFM in addition to LSGC as it’s an additional commitment to there service.

4 Likes

And as was recently (ish) settled, the Accumulated Campaign Service Medal (ACSM) is now properly acknowledged as a long service medal, meaning criteria surrounding OSMs has been clarified to confirm that initial qualifying time for those medals does indeed count in full for the ACSM. Because long service medals necessarily run alongside everything else that would otherwise earn a medal, and you’re fundamentally acknowledging something different.

So to echo the above, one should be able to earn a regular long service medal and a CFM simultaneously, because they’re acknowledging different time commitments (one for the job, another for optional voluntary work).

2 Likes

Yup, I do 2 RAFAC Sqns and a CCF (RAFAC).

Out of interest, how does that work?

Two separate memberships?

I’ve got two on my contingent who are both on ATC Sqns. One is Adj there and has a WSO role. (But of course, teachers have no spare time)

1 Like

Supernumerary appointments. It’s almost as simple as super on two ATC. Just need to be added to Westminster as well

2 Likes

Though what I wonder is whether I get a fresh commission scroll if I were to transfer my primary role to the ATC as mine specifically commissioned me into the CCF(RAF)

Would make sense.

I know people who have enough to keep a fire going as they’ve chopped and changed between TACOS over the years.

1 Like

Don’t think the new one would be worth the anticipation

1 Like

It’s more of an academic interest than a desire.

1 Like

On a more practical note, how the hell does anyone have time to have 2 named positions in 2 different units?

It was bad enough trying to fill OC, Adj & TO in one unit!

3 Likes

I refuse to double hat. Personal opinion is if youve got time to double hat youve got time to do your preference role better

2 Likes

I don’t understand how people have the time.
I barely had time to single hat.

5 Likes