Direct entry Fg Off

Hi all,

I have two questions:

1. What qualifies someone to go direct entry to Fg Off in the RAFAC
  2. Do you have to be a CI, or can you go direct to uniform after cadet service?

TIA

ACP 20 PI206 should have all your answers!

Thinking about it, I’m not sure it’s a thing anymore unless you previously served with a commission?

Direct entry to the RAFAC as a Fg Off is covered in ACP20.

It is allowed for those who are returning, and had already reached Fg Off.
Also for retired regulars who were Fg Off or greater.

All cases are at the approval of Gp Capt only.

For 2nd question.
Is this linked to first?

But basicslly you can go direct uniform after cadet service. Again all explained in ACP20.
However you must have completed all paperwork, boards and mandatory training prior to turning 20 for this to happen.

2 Likes

Sincerely hope, this isnt a question asking if a cadet can finish cadet service and go direct to Fg Off.

Even if they are the best cadet in the world they cant.

Unless… of course they commision are then silly enough to take on a sqn at 20 years old and arr promoted to Flt Lt as a Sqn Cdr. Once of course having completed OIC and SCC.

but taking on a sqn at 20 is NOT to be reccomended. You need experience first.

3 Likes

Is this an automatic thing nowadays, going straight to Flt Lt if you take over command of a Sqn?

I have seen quite a few individuals who have done OIC and SCC and are still either Plt Off or Fly Off.

1 Like

No harm in asking is there.

3 Likes

This seems to vary from wing to wing. I think locally here you need to complete the SCC before they’ll put your papers in. So it’s down to how soon you can get yourself on a course. But there seem to be wild inconsistencies in how long it takes from completion of the course.

Do region need to rubber stamp a Flt Lt OC promotion?

1 Like

All promotions are approved by OF5 or higher.

2 Likes

All in acp20.
Sqn cdrs on competion of SCC are scaled for flt lt.

Still has to be submitted for by WHQ and still has to be approved by Gp Capt.

1. Not really.
  2. Is a bit sad though.
1 Like

Seems as though this isnt happening in my Wing either because it is taken a long time to process the paperwork, Gp Capt only approving 1 promotion up (i.e. Plt Off 2 Fly Off) or a combination of the two.

I ask as a CI i know has just commissioned as a Fg Off, with no previous service (that I’m aware of) bar achieving CWO

2 Likes

Think you still have to tick all the boxes on the matrix including annual camp & a new qual (hard enough at the best of times and certainly not a great idea to focus on if you’ve just taken command).

Some wings might be willing to waive some of that?

There’s a flow chart in ACP 20 that gives the details for accelerated promotions I’m pretty sure.

There’s a flow chart in ACP 20 that gives the details for accelerated promotions I’m pretty sure.

Correct there is! I have just read it

Flying Officer
Or
Fg Off

3 Likes

They must have met the rules some how.

1 Like

Joined the RAF at 18, commissioned promoted to Fg off after two years, leave because of injury/boredom/role redundant (particularly the last one)

Rejoin air cadets & commission - straight to Fg Off.

Still doesn’t mean that have experience though.

1 Like

Thats a very specific scenario.
And yes.
Not experienced at all.

2 Likes

My understanding is that as an OC Wing can bump you up 1 rank. So if a Plt Off takes Command and hasn’t finished the Matrix then if they want to Wing can bump to Fg Off. Whereas as Fg Off who takes command can be sent to Flt Lt (acting unpaid until they do the course sale as the old days).