Direct entry Fg Off

The way I read it - and I could be wrong - is the matrix still applies. A candidate also has to do the SCC within 6 months, which could also be a barrier depending on how far ahead courses are booked up.

To meet the matrix for Flt Lt you have to have done 2 camps as Fg Off and 1 as Plt Off but I guess someone being promoted 2 ranks would be allowed to skip the Fg Off to Flt Lt part.

I’ve certainly not seen any ‘acceleration’ of OiCs to Flt Lt round my way but I have seen SNCOs appointed to WO on taking up a new post.

RTC, IOT and 2 years service? That’s a lot more uniformed experience than a huge percentage of other Fg Offs in the org, so I’d say it’s warranted.

With how few camps there are these days, that rule has got to change soon.

3 Likes

If you are appointed as OC, you must be considered for accelerated promotion by your OC Wing.

OC Wings can approve 1 rank higher
OC Wings can recommend 2 rank higher to the RC

New rank is effective on completion of Sqn Cdrs Course.

There is no matrix requirement if appointed as OC

3 Likes

Except - local rules (the get out is the candidate is considered for promotion, and can be denied it)

True…ive been OC for 2 years and have had to wait until all the matrix ‘tick boxes’ have been filled in…

1 Like

2 years is excessive!

The camp thing is the biggest barrier it seems (also the limited list of courses in group A)

Honestly, maybe in the old days. Some of the regular officers I have seen these days couldn’t organise a knees up in a brewery. Standards have changed.

2 Likes

I think it’s really dependent on role.

Logistics, personal/admin officer quite beneficial.

Ex pilot who was made redundant just after they had completed their EFT & promoted during their gardening/resettlement Leave would be pretty inexperienced as they wouldn’t have had the opportunity to lead & manage people the same way.

Funnily SCC have theirs go in straight at S/Lt as midshipman is only for under 25 year olds.

3 Likes

Funnily enough on my UAS we made sure we arranged a brewery tour every year just so we could say with a straight face that we in fact could organise a knees up in a brewery.

And I was a blunt regular Fg Off in the old days, so I reckon I just about scrape by as capable!

3 Likes

In some locations it is also very inconsistent, and probably a certain element of “if your face fits” or “if you are one of the clique”. My wing has had OCs in post for 1 year and not promoted from Fg Off, but others bumped to Flt Lt the day they took over. Latter had been commissioned for less time too.