Death of HM Queen Elizabeth II

I wondered if it would stay QCS the same way that kings Troop RHA never changed.

It’s upto the Boss I suppose.

1 Like

Well its first name was the Kings Guard of the Royal Air Force, didnt become QCS until the 60s

Would it be due to how it was formed / how the naming convention goes?

Kings Troop was set up by the King, QCS is named after the colour.

Yeah, that’s the thing - since it’s a relatively new unit I’m not actually sure if it’s one of the ones named after a specific monarch or one of the ones named after the current monarch.

For the Woodentops the Queen’s Guard is now the King’s Guard - except the Queen’s Company Grenadier Guards will stay as the Queen’s Coy until after the funeral, at which point they will become the king’s Coy.

Probably, but it’s in the gift of the Sovereign…

Presumably the politicians will now be flown around by the King’s Flight, too?

Was it still the Queen’s Flight? Thought they’d changed to The Royal squadron a while back, and since the 146s have gone, not even that any more!

Been a big pr loss to the RAF not seeing the Royals flying about in branded aircraft over the past few days.

1 Like

Why is any of this “rebranding” coming as a surprise…?

Its simple.

Step 1. Select word ‘Queen’.
Step 2. Replace word ‘Queen’ with word ‘King’.
Step 3. Marvel at your ability to swap one word.

1 Like

You’re probably right, I should pay more attention…

As much as it’s a terrible shame to lose HM, the pomp and ceremony of the formal events are quite something to behold.

Just watching the procession up the Royal Mile now.

2 Likes

It’s now 32 The Royal Sqn, but their VIP duties are now limited to the A109 helicopter (mainly used for government ministers and CDS, CAS, First Sea Lord, CGS etc), and a couple of (currently), civvie registered Envoy 2 aircraft which will move on to the military serials over the next two years once the RAF has fully processed the paperwork.

Over the last few days The King has been getting around in a civvie bizjet of some sort.

The helos used by the Royals are operated by their household directly and are now the known as The Kings Helicopter Flight.

I know, I was at Northolt recently.

I was more commenting on the utter lack of identity given by them. The Envoys are completely bare, not even a token roundel or flag, just the German serials - which I suppose some will find apt!

People moaned about the slopey A in the RAF logo all over some aircraft, but at least you know it’s an RAF aircraft that way…

Not to do a political side track but didn’t Boris Johnson have a plane painted in bright colours so it wasn’t grey all the time?

The RAF has a Voyager jet in the UK colours, the UK governement charter a smaller one from a civvie company in the same colour scheme

The 'civvies jets are the dassault 900 LX envoy IV that have replaced the bae146. Purchased by RAF. Mixed RAF/Civvy crew under a contract with Centreline Aviation

Yes, but there is another jet that isn’t an Envoy that’s more brightly coloured that the King is using

Well with all the travelling maybe they have chartered another??

It’s a privately owned Embraer Legacy through ‘Luxaviation’.

Again, it’s a “RAF can’t meet the demand”. Nobody’s really picked up on that yet.

2 Likes

The aircraft was in for a C/D Check which required all the paint stripped off plus a major avionics upgrade. It is still an operational tanker transport whatever colour it is!

1 Like

Can we maybe focus on the queen and not some old aircraft?

5 Likes