Death of HM Queen Elizabeth II

OC has said that all cadets will be renewing the Air Cadet Promise at the next parade night and will be asking Padre to attend to do so, (as well as provide pastoral care for cadets). He says that the cadets have promised to to their duty to ‘God and The Queen’, and so they must now renew to ‘God and The King’.

4 Likes

Renewing the promise seems like an appropriate way to mark the change of monarch. We’ve got a new intake soon (unless we have to cancel it!) and the whole Sqn can renew the promise at that intake’s enrolment.

It would be helpful to have some guidance from HQAC about whether renewing the promise is required.

4 Likes

Of course it isnt needed in any true sense.

Many may do it.
But it isnt needed.

We arent attested or such.

Its symbolism only.

5 Likes

This.

1 Like

I think it would be a nice, healing thing to do.

Just a one off, everyone does it together on a parade night - but no faff, no invited guest or families - just the gang, together.

No need to make a list who weren’t there and hunt them down for treason.

I doesn’t need to be done, it’s symbolic - but lots of things that make us a social species don’t need to be done and are symbolic…

5 Likes

I think that’s quite a nice idea though, even if done as a group. Will be suggesting that here.

8 Likes

Requires us to be allowed to parade first! Might be waiting till October at this rate…

7 Likes

I know LaSER used to renew the Cadets promise each year on ATC Sunday at St Clemant Danes so it’s not a strange thing to do anyway.

2 Likes

Hearing God Save the King being played outside St James’… Intellectually I know the words have changed and it does work, but it just doesn’t sound right to say King instead of Queen.

4 Likes

Is anyone here planning on travelling when Her Majesty lies in state?

I’m thinking about it, but I am not sure if I can physically do it.

3 Likes

I don’t think I will be able to but I may try and get to London for the day of the funeral

3 Likes

I have the “benefit (?)” of being signed off.

Not sure if it’s a good idea.

1 Like

I know a few of my Scottish friends are looking for confirmation about if they will be to able to file past Her Late Majesty Coffin in Edinburgh as has been suggested.

They are however already planning to travel to see her arrival & departure from Her Late Scottish capital but no timings or detailed info have yet been released so they are having trouble planning different suggestions of her arrival.

One suggestion is Her Late Majesty’s arrives tomorrow evening and stays at rest in The Palace of Holyrood House for the night before being taken in procession to St Giles on Monday and will Lay at rest for 24 hrs before departing on Tuesday. Their has been suggestion St Giles will be open for for people to file past but no one’s has announced timings. Will it be open all night?

Same lack of information about the London Lying in State but that is a few days further away.

2 Likes

It’s expected to be a 12 hour queue minimum for the laying in state in London’s and I think they have underestimated that.

Once I know what I’m doing work wise I will decide what I’m going to do.

2 Likes

I suspect if they are planning for queues that long that is why they are flying Her Late Majesty to London to give longer time for a lying in state than if Her Late Majesty had travelled back on the Royal Train.

1 Like

Christ. All the will in the world, I won’t be able to manage that.

2 Likes

Will there be a call out for fornal RAFAC presence at the funeral?
Need bodies to line that route afterall!

2 Likes

Funeral is the 19th

Doubtful. The RAF won’t want us involved if there’s any chance we might get mistaken for them / give them extra credit…

Last time I was involved in any of the briefings they were saying they expected the line to start at Blackfriars!

I think the train was always unrealistic, from a search point of view they had identified something in the region of 10,000 points of danger which would need searching!