D1 Driver Training Survey

What’s the big Leconfield anti-rhetoric :man_shrugging:t2:

It’s the main MOD vehicle training location, for three services have to send their people there, no matter where they are based :man_shrugging:t2:

ATF is based at Cranwell, oh that’s where all RAFAC uniformed staff have to go for certain courses.

Yes Leconfield is a pit, but it’s there for a logistical reason. Don’t hear the same about having to attend ATF.

1 Like

But that’s up for discussion too now. The modern world is modular localised training… But thats sort of going off topic

Why not wear MTP then?

That would be ideal!

1 Like

I’ve not been, but I’d guess it’s the relative standard of the accommodation, etc rather than the location that most people are not keen on

you could (almost?!) walk there I guess!

Could deffo run it yeah

1 Like

Pretty much. Found a great little cafe.

Although the why’s mess was closed due to a roof collapse so we were in the big block next to the cook house.

How many meal selections. Wow

Yeah, but for most of them it’s their job. Whereas this isn’t an actual job for any of us.

Why make volunteer’s lives any harder than they need to be?

The Jis are extremely specific about not wearing greens.

To be fair with the amount of JNCOs running around with the phase 2 kids thinking they were gods gift, the blue uniform and peak kept them at a distance.

1 Like

We had an officer turn up In Greens from up north. He was politely told that if he wanted to drive he would wear blues. He wasn’t happy. We had. An RAF Cpl with us who had to do the course he was told to wear blues as well.

1 Like

This should be a half day course (at most)., one day to include trailer.

1 Like

Hmm, I think I disagree with this. If someone has only ever driven a Micra round the mean streets of Oxford, I think I’d want them to do more than half a day’s practice in a 17 seat minibus before letting them drive my kids on a day long trip somewhere

4 Likes

Yeah I’m in that boat… The thought of reversing one is terrifying

5 Likes

It’s not a long course. You’d be surprised how many people fail it after 2 days of driving.

I’ve heard that minibus drivers may need to do CPC. Something that is being looked into

Reversing isn’t that bad it’s the same
Size as a large transit. It’s more of the PCV side of it. Pulling up at the correct part of the kerb, no gap. Doing your sweep and checking door and passengers .

They already do if driving commercially, I seriously doubt drivers under permit 19 ever will. If CPC came in you can guarantee tachos would as well. The cost for both would see it lobbied against strongly.

The government already know how bad the CPC scheme is, it could have been revolutionary in transforming road safety and driving standards, it just became a race to be the cheapest provider, which means in most cases 8 hours of death by powerpoint every year until you bin your vocational licence.

I failed my first D1 test at leconfield with numerous minors and 2 majors. Passed second time with 6 minors.

I passed my D/C/CE tests all first time with 1 minor on 2 and 2 minors on the other.

The differences were because I only had 4-6 hours driving at leconfield vs the 16 each for the rest of them.

You can pass a test after 6 hours… just. But it doesn’t make you much of a competent driver, just able to scrape a pass and hope that you don’t crash when you inevitably are out with 16 passengers the next time you drive one.

As for trailer, it needs a lot longer than half a day just to nail the reversing exercise, I did mine with a 45’ tri axle trailer, a complete doddle compared to what you reverse with on D1+E.

1 Like

I also really enjoyed the course.

It was the only time I’ve ever really felt part of our parent service. I managed to miss the RSMs briefing, and was pretty much the first one in the hangar. Gradually, it began to fill with squaddies, and then a couple of SACs arrived, spotted me in blues, and came over and asked if I minded if they sat with me. We sat and chatted about our respective courses, and as we did, the group slowly grew as more and more RAF personnel arrived. By the time I’d finished my coffeee, about 20 RAF blokes were sat together in the corner of the Tea bar, just chatting and having a laugh regardless of rank or trade.

5 Likes

TBH that’s fine for someone who has been driving for years. For many the thought of driving something the size of a minibus can be daunting.

I’m lucky, been driving for years, minibuses, car/caravan set ups as well as trailers. But there are people out there who have ‘grandfather’ rights, passed their test before 01 Jan 1997, who can drive all sorts but have never done.

Don’t forget, in theory, when reversing you should have a ‘banksman’ helping at all times :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like