Coronavirus: what happens next!

Massively off topic I know…

I got a warning a few years back for random bouts of sickness… A Day off every two weeks, with stomach cramps. If it happens again it will be a formal warning… I phoned him a few days later, saying I wasn’t coming in… He asked what the issue was and if I was well enough, as it would go against me…

I passed the phone over to the nurse… “so sorry, he won’t be in for a few days. We’re lucky we caught his appendix when we did.”

Never had any issues with sickness since.

2 Likes

I wish you’d stop throwing your appendix in the air and making us catch it !!

2 Likes

Slightly tongue in cheek…

8 Likes

We’ve had rolling 12 month 3 periods of sickness for over 20 years, but exemptions if you have a condition, we have one woman has got Meniere’s and a bloke with crohn’s, no one bats an eyelid. But what it stopped were the people like one woman who prior to it’s introduction was off with D&V every time she had a holiday and something during Wimbledon and one bloke who was always off with a supposed bad back wasn’t off either. So it works to deter for the lame and lazy. My wife knows when I’m ill because I don’t get out of bed in the morning or vomit with associated conditions. I know there are some work environments where sickness is used like extra holiday, but that’s no way to run a business. If I worked somewhere like that, not sure I could be that unethical or immoral.

You’re not protected ! You need the 2020 update!!!

1 Like

Regarding this announcement on Cadet Portal that cadets should contact their squadron staff for advice if they think they have Coronavirus - what exactly are we supposed to tell them?

The Sharepoint announcement just tells us to look at the Public Health England advice (what about Public Health Wales, Public Health Scotland, and the Public Health Agency in Northern Ireland) and to contact our chain of command for more advice.

With all due respect I highly doubt my Wing Commander knows anything more about dealing with a viral outbreak than I do.

4 Likes

That feels about right.

Everything in regs says contact your Sqn commander. Who will then contact the CoC.

Be stumped if I know or my CoC would have the slightest clue.

Their response would probably be to immediately close the Sqn for 2 weeks. Quarantine.

Super helpful.

If anyone contacts me all I’m planning on saying is don’t come in if you feel unwell and we’ve already told all the cadets and staff that.

1 Like

As per the Announcement:

Follow the Health Advice & the “educational advice”, then inform the CoC of any actions…

my cousin is a vet and was :triumph: at the same response re Brexit and pet passports.
advice to general public: speak to your vet
advice offered to vets:…:man_shrugging:

“if the virus becomes more widespread across the UK.” More of a when. It’s in Derbyshire already. [I’m Leicestershire.

Dum dum dummmmmm.

Dont panic

3 Likes

Don’t think it would be…

The media is adding to the scare factor. “Corona” virus is not new, this is a different strain. Look at the number of flu deaths last year & a 3-fold rise in 2018 - 155 deaths?

At a school one of my mates works at; said on Monday 93 kids were off in case they caught it at the school. He said there was, is and still no evidence of it in the school. The headmistress sent a letter to all parents and staff explaining this and there was no need to keep children off school, all but 2 back on Tuesday who had work delivered to their home, they were back on Wednesday. He said that the parents of the 93 were contacted and would be invited to individual meetings with the head if they couldn’t prove the children or someone in the immediate family had it.
Personally if cadets and staff want to stay away from the sqn fine, I won’t shut the squadron and just get the fun boxes out. I won’t be giving any advice as enough is out there for us to all read or listen to. I’m surprised the H&S non-entities at HQAC haven’t come out with their own “expert advice” and associated documentation for us to do in triplicate; black ink, no photocopies.

1 Like

Erm… the what now?

If anyone is interested…

Highlighted on the graph where cases appear to have hit a low point, while cases outside of China have continued to grow while China appears to possibly be coming out of the other side (at least for now).

The Iranians appear to be beginning to tell the truth (or simply working it out) a bit better compared to before.

0.2% of tests conducted in the UK return a positive.

1 Like

Source?

Right there at the top of the table. Same place I got the last lot from.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/