Compulsory first aid training

I have recently been informed that it is now compulsory for all ACO CFAV’s to be First Aid qualified to at least a minimum of Heartstart.

I have not seen this anywhere in any HQAC order.

ACTO 8 states Para 31
"31. FAT at all levels is a life skill providing valuable qualifications. All members of the ATC should be encouraged to participate."

Whilst I appreciate the need and the importance of first aid training has it actually been made compulsory now

There are plans to make it compulsory and renewable on a 3-yearly basis but I’ve not seen anything actually mandated yet.
(if you ask me, and some have, while the concept is sound the plan is flawed as it stands and a little more work is needed)

The concept is surely unassailable?

All teachers are required to be FA trained. I would opine that all CFAVs should be, too; and as we are supposed to teach FA as part of the cadet syllabus it surely makes sense?

A 4-hour or 8-hour course should do, though AFA would be a good idea.

Not sure where you get your information about all teachers requiring to be first aid trained. I work in a school with about 200 staff and we only have a small percentage who are first aid trained.

It sounds like we are scrabbling with a need to reinvent ourselves. Don’t get me wrong a knowledge of first aid is good, but we are not the Red Cross or St John / St Andrew.

Rather than this addition to our training we should be concentrating on our core areas, such things to do with I don’t know … aircraft and flight.

Really? OK, maybe it’s just my school then. (Or possibly boarding schools, actually.)

Are ATC Sqns required to have at least one FA trained person on the unit while cadets are there?

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=18076]It sounds like we are scrabbling with a need to reinvent ourselves. Don’t get me wrong a knowledge of first aid is good, but we are not the Red Cross or St John / St Andrew.

Rather than this addition to our training we should be concentrating on our core areas, such things to do with I don’t know … aircraft and flight.[/quote]

I see your point and agree to some extent.
When some squadrons are doing NBC training and other such activities that have no place in any cadet organisation the time can be better spent.
First Aid training should be a core subject. Its a priceless skill to have and easy to get skillfade.

Its extremely useful in all walks of life, school/work, social life, cadets, outdoor activites.

I am trained above First Aid but I always get myself on any and all extra training at whatever level I can because its always changing and easy to skillfade.

I agree that First Aid is all the things that have been mentioned, it is a very useful skill for all.

My concern is being told that it is now compulsory for all staff but that no one can show me where it is written that this is now the case.

If it is, so be it.

If not, then it strikes me as local empire building

As far as I am aware, all staff are to have a basic knowledge of first aid, but not necessarily ‘First Aid at Work’ standard. If this is be introduced then HQAC need to be making courses available to all staff.

Ahhhh courses for Staff now there’s a conumdrum that HQAC are not very good at resolving.

LOL!!! They can’t expect everyone to be qualified if they don’t train them!!!

To be fair, activity first aid IS available to all staff free, and HAS been for about 5 years. All staff need to be first aid qualified, even for things such as, for example, aircraft and flight! You never know when a cadet or CFAVS will have an accident so there should always be someone with at least a basic knowledge there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There aren’t enough courses available to make it compulsory for ALL staff. Each wing needs to be putting on courses 2-3 times a week, to get through everybody in a reasonable time.

I think you’ll find a large majority of staff are already qualified and it lasts 3 years. Wings should most likely need 4 courses a year to keep staff current. Any staff with NGB quals will already be qualified, at least to AFA standard so it’s mopping up unqualified staff. 2-3 times a week is excessive, I guess you mean month.

I’m not sure that many staff ARE current…at least in our squadron!! We do have a few though!!

Ok. Well I think staff should have been getting qualified. It’s not about training cadets, it’s about duty of care. Any member of staff running any activity should be thinking the what if scenario. The ACF, as far as I know, have to be current first aiders,

Back to my original question
Is it now actually compulsory?

I fully agree with all the reasons for being first aid qualified, all my staff bar one are.
You need to be to keep currency for an Adv Trg NGB qualification

But is it compulsory?
Has ACTO 8 changed ?

I’m CCS current, which is CPR and combat first aid, but that’s not the same thing as ‘First Aid at Work’

My CCS First Aid wasn’t recognised by the HSE when I came out so I had to do the 4-day FAAW course.

Same. My medic quals wont be recognised by civilian employment or cadets but will be taken into consideration if I didnt have my First Aid at work certificate.

Bit mad. But I suppose it sets a standard and if you are above it, just add to the experience.

I dont see why it isnt compulsory anyway. The ACO need to take this seriously and change it and offer proper training.

Come on ACC. I remember when the chain of command used to shiver when ACC was mentioned…lets apply the pressure and get it changed.

Stick it to the man.