Commandant's Challenge

The problem with any photos garnered they are only any good for PR (now or the future) if people recognise the ‘famous’ people in them. Given we live in with vacuous here today gone later today celebrity culture, unless it is with someone who is still “a face” now (which will exclude imo all but a very, very few military types) if it’s just a few months old it could have no relevance. Me and the mrs watch programmes with “celebrities” on them and we might recognise one physically or by a name, we’ve heard.
I had a picture of me and a couple of mates with Fish (ex-Marillion) taken at the Milton Keynes Bowl in the 80s, my kids didn’t have a scooby.

FYI - It is pushed direct to Cadet Portal.

its not just your kids - i had to Google and still none the wiser

Milton Keynes Bowl, Garden Party Tour 1986?

Jethro Tull as Support?

I was there, cracking gig.

You’re right, my 27 yr old daughter hasn’t a clue who they are either.

I wouldn’t recognise them, but know them. “Fish” without that context though and I would have been lost (doesn’t spring straight to mind).

Whereas, if you said “Slash and The Edge are standing over there” then my brain would know exactly what you meant.

As for the challenge… I just don’t get it.

One of my cadets asked me about it after seeing it on Portal (hadn’t watched the video). I just said “I’ve not seen the full details, but I think it’s quite narrow in what they’re asking for - look at the video to check”. They were keen to give it a go, but doubt they’ll actually be able to join in.

@Brooke_Bond Yep Tull & Gary Moore was sublime.

I went to MK Bowl for Status Quo’s “last tour” a couple of years earlier when Marillion were supposed to be second but as I recall went to 3rd as Quo felt they were ‘bigger’ than them at the time, so Nazareth (?) went to second billing. The thing I remember most is the opening band being bottled off after about 2 tracks (not sure how they lasted that long tbh) and Gary Glitter came on and did an extended set. Now for me growing up through the 70s (regardless s of whatever came to light later) Mr Gadd was pure entertainment and that afternoon when it was bloody hot, the front of the stage was heaving with everyone singing along. Magic.

@steve679 I’m sure we could mention people that no one’s heard of or remembers.

Nazareth–Excellent band.

My Nazareth didn’t extend beyond Bad, Bad Boy and This Flight Tonight, both of which are on my 70s playlist for the car.

I’m sure I’ve got one with Jimmy Saville somewhere…

7 Likes

God remember the days the organisation used to shout about him being a famous ex air cadet…awkward

2 Likes

This is a gentle steer back on topic.

Please enter it - please, I’ll lob £50 to the server fund to see the expression on some staff officers face when that pops up

7 Likes