Closure of 2523 sqn

I saw on Facebook about the closure of Linton sqn. The sqn staff said they have lots of cadets and staff so I was curious why it closed? Anyone know?

From the comments on the post it doesn’t seem like the Squadron knows why either…

Because HQAC can.

ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER…

Itty Bitty Living Space

2 Likes

That image reminds me I need to start planning my son’s birthday present

I knew one of the Cadets on there and they seemed to suggest it was a HQAC decision because staff didn’t want to play politics with them and jumping through useless and unnecessary hoops. Not sure how true this is though as I’m not personally involved.

If this was the case wouldn’t a large amount of units need to shut? :joy:

3 Likes

I doubt this but I have seen a lot of school units closing

As I said I have no idea how true this is and I do believe they were school based so could simply be that the agreement to use the school ran out and nothing available elsewhere,

Is there a CCF detachment opening locally in a school?

1 Like

HQAC rarely make decisions like this, it will be the WHQ and RHQ who make these recommendations to HQ and usually the RC who is the decision maker.

They all just blame HQ as it is a faceless entity people can hate.

4 Likes

Could make a great conspiracy story about this. I find RAFACS comms so bad at times. Why not publish a short message?

School unit, low numbers, many other Sqns near

If had bigger numbers than plenty of other units kept open.

1 Like

For all that I know, it wasn’t because of the squadron itself but of the building that they had

1 Like

Talking to one of the former staff members, the wing were required to loose three Squadrons, why no idea. WHQ moved two to trent wing and then had to find a third. 2523 was under notice to leave the School where it was based, her words “didn’t fit into the school’s business plan”. The Wing Commander & Regional Commandant (both left) at the time recommended closing the Squadron to HQAC at this time. This conveniently filled wing’s quota. So it was nothing to do with numbers, staff, quality of the Squadron, it was just convenience by the look of it.

The 2 that were moved to Trent Wing came about due to the RFCA expecting Wing boundaries to match their own - prior to the 2 squadrons joining Trent Wing, 4 others had been moved from Trent Wing to Central & East Yorkshire Wing, in an entirely different region.

The messaging at the time was along the lines of it was too difficult to have multiple RFCAs under one wing.

How close is Linton to the Essex Wing boundary? Is it possible that they were due to join Essex Wing/LaSER but the latter declined to have them?

On cadet portal they annonced futher squadron shut downs probs just bad pot luck

One of the things that always drove me up the wall - surely Wing and Region should be doing all in their power to keep squadrons open and help and support them rather than shutting squadrons down?

Certainly in my part of the world, Wg Cdrs need to present and justify to RC why the Sqn should close and what actions have been taken to keep it alive. Then the RC repeats upwards.

Its not as simple as just shut a Sqn

2 Likes