Climatic Injuries Training - Pause and Reassess Order July 2022

Amber warning for extreme heat on Sunday. Guess that’s RIAT cancelled then

Just for those cadets there :roll_eyes:

Would be interesting thought, how many squadrons are out doing something. If they are cancelled then surely RIAT camp should also go. If they allow RIAT to continue but everything else cancelled, the reasonable challenge inbound.

Point to note RIAT camp applications are all still in DRAFT

8 Likes

Yet the setup started 5 days ago :man_facepalming: :man_shrugging:

To be fair, it is actually a good application, unlike a lot of thse HQ/Region ones that stay in draft. There is a lot of info on there that all looks good.

I know.
Week to go for a major activity.
If i did that, wing would cancel my event!

2 Likes

Sharepoint notice abour riat uploaded.
Uniform for sunday… really… really only sunday? Now optional.

Sod number 2 uniform in this heat.

I’ll be telling our cadets they can wear what they like. I’m making a local decision based on the local information, like I’m supposed to.

5 Likes

This also gives The commandant a problem. Last time there was an amber weather warning the entire organisation shut down.

Will he do it this time? He should, arguably it is more dangerous now than it was before. But you can bet he won’t because it would look to embarrassing to the rest of the world.

5 Likes

So much this. So often it’s assumed staff will look after themselves - they’re just as likely (if not more likely) to forget to drink/take a break as a cadet.

3 Likes

And, as we learnt at Windermere, it appears an event is going to press ahead despite the warnings, putting cadets at risk…

2 Likes

Yep, had that at Nijmegen once, cadets had to pretty much carry me to dinner.

1 Like

I’ve got sunburned and dehydrated so many times on cadet activities.

I’ve even had activities where I’ve personally told cadets to apply suncream, then not got around to it myself :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Technically it was a small area of red, a larger area of amber, and some yellow (and nothing!) in the North… This time its just a massive amber.

But yes, it does the Commandant an issue.

1 Like

And also now they’ve made the post about Sunday and uniform being optional, it shows that the issue has been looked at, and an active decision made to crack on!

1 Like

And there’s his wiggle room

2 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me if we end up with a small( or large) area of red this time by the end of the week.

1 Like

6mfpw9

4 Likes

Part of my brief under Climatic at an event is reminding the cadets to watch the staff.

Had it a few times, where a cadet has come up to me with a drink. “sir, noticed you’ve not had a break yet…you need this”

It does make the cadets empowered to go up to an Officer and take charge…

Been heatstroke, sunburnt…all task focused on making sure the cadets are OK, but then getting in my car at the end of the day, and feeling knackered…

8 Likes

In not life threatening situations i have purposefully not gone on a break to see if the Cadet IC notices.
Works well at a bag pack and they usually pick up on it when lunchtime comes round. I think its a good training experience for them

3 Likes

We never wear uniform to RIAT

1 Like