Clay Target Shooting

Who is doing it within their Wing/Sqn?

Have any good contacts/advice to help someone get it up and running?

Interested in setting it up? Want some advice? POST AWAY!

Not running, never has done, and not sure where to start with it!

Could you do us a beginners guide and/or myths and misconceptions about Clay targetting?

[quote=“Batfink” post=3403]Not running, never has done, and not sure where to start with it!

Could you do us a beginners guide and/or myths and misconceptions about Clay targetting?[/quote]

I could do with a bit of time and if there are enough people interested on the forum to warrant it?

I can doa very brief starter guide:

It’s run as a sport under Clay Pigeon Shooting Association rules. No RASPs/RAMs.

You need to attend a 1 day shotgun skills and 1 days safety officer course (Army Rifle Association run loads of courses) to be able to run a range. Note this doesn’t cover coaching - only ensuring that shotguns are used safely on the range.

Shotguns and ammunition purchased and owned as NSWs on an ACF20, with all the associated paperwork and servicing requirements. Must be held in service/suitable armouries capable of holding full bore kit.

The Development Officer in West Scotland Wing is the best person to talk to about getting it up and running - he’s the authority on the subject and did the piece in Air Cadet a little while back.

We’ve got money to start setting it up - I’m just about to buy all the appropriate kit.

We have been doing it down our way for the past 3 years now. Slowly working the way around the squadrons. Ours got snowed off on Saturday unfortunately.

Redowling pretty much covers the basics

Clay Target Policy is available on SharePoint

Dates of some courses are on the current CCRS Calendar

Why don’t they apply a similar commensurate response to air rifles?

1 Like

Why don’t they apply a similar commensurate response to air rifles?[/quote]

Probably becuase Air Rifles are covered in PAM21C. There is soon to be a one-day Air Rifle range course though as I understand it, at least from the discussion we had with the SASC rep on my DCCT course.

I have an interesting question which I was discussing with my CPSA Safety Officer last night.

What, as a safety officer, are you allowed to do in terms of ‘coaching’ the cadets? It was put across on his SO course that the safety officer isn’t allowed to ‘coach’ cadets in firing the shotgun - that should be a L1 instructor. This introduces an interesting quandry - if you can’t coach, what’s the point - as you’d just be turning cartridges into empty ones?

The L1 course description suggests that this course enables to to introduce firers to crossing targets - does this imply as a Safety Officer you are limited to DTL only?

I’ve asked this question of Flt Lt White (West Scotland Devt Off / Shooting6) as well.

There is no coaching element to the Safety Officer Course

A Level 1 instructor needs a minimum of two years experience of clay target shooting though. The course is also IIRC ÂŁ300ish

I know there is no coaching element - my point is, what is considered ‘coaching’?

Is it a case of training the cadets in shotgun handling and let them crack on with no further advice, other than hold this and line up the sights?

Do you see my point? This is the equivalent of just giving a First Class cadet who has passed a WHT a load of rounds and saying ‘crack on’.

[quote]I know there is no coaching element - my point is, what is considered ‘coaching’?
[/quote]

I assume that you are completing the standard CPSA Safety Officer course and will gain the NGB qualification. If that is the case, it is what it is, Safety Officer, no more or less, just like the NRA Range Officer or the NSRA Range Conducting Officer there is no instructional or coaching element. If you then practice as an instructor or coach you do so under the remit of the ACO and are unlicenced as far as the NGB is concerned. It is that simple.

exmpa

Entirely agree and understood - but is a basic introduction in the method of hitting a clay target considered a safety issue (and thus within the remit of the safety officer). If, as a safety officer, you are allowed to run a range but not instruct, and a cadet then hurts themselves due to incorrect hold/stance etc…where then do we stand?

I fully understand the position that you are in, you wish to provide the activity and are clearly competent to provide instruction but not formally qualified to instruct or coach. I would suggest that you are going to have to be pragmatic about it and proceed on the basis of common sense. If you don’t you run the risk of having shotgun bound up in the quite unnecessary regulation that surrounds smallbore and airgun shooting in the cadet forces. Exercise your duty of care conscientiously and have the evidence to support your actions.

The only note of caution I would sound is to ensure that someone runs the range when you are coaching. Most of the safety breaches I have observed have occurred when coaches; even international level; take it upon themselves to carry out both functions.

Worth getting the CPSA Level 1 Instructor qualification as it is commercially recognized and can provide a useful sideline.

exmpa

Where do you store your guns?

As a moderator I thought you’d be capable of reading all the posts prior to commenting.

^ What he said!

As a moderator I thought you’d be capable of reading all the posts prior to commenting.

Not on the Squadron, personal weapons at home. Should have been clearer.

Revised question: What kind of personal cabinet do you have?

I don’t have any.

Revised question: What kind of personal cabinet do you have?

I went for a 10 gun cabinet with lockable ammo shelf. Never going to fill it but the extra space makes it better for rifles with scopes.

If you buy one that comes with it’s own mounting bolts, throw them away and get better wall bolts from Screwfix …

1 Like