Classifications powerpoint presentations

Hi guys

Just a quick one but anyone point me in the right direction of some good powerpoint oresentations for basic, leading, senior etc

Our previouse training officer was using the utilearn presentations but our future snco dowent like them.

Thanks

Check the drive on here! There are several good ones

1 Like

I used Ultilearn ones and added to them so that everyone could use them., Only first class books though. Even the cadets can use them when they have to self study or you are teaching 2 lessons going on at the same time. They arent very user friendly and they dont match the First class books. Thats my only grumble.

There are some good presentations here for First Class, and the new leadership syllabus.

http://training.staffswing.org.uk/cadet-training-system/

Even better
 Don’t use PowerPoint at all!

Get the real badges out and the books and do a hands on lesson.

Better for all concerned. The sooner we all stop relying on PowerPoint, the better!

1 Like

There’s a difference between relying on it and allowing it to help you, though.

Used well, it’s a great tool.

1 Like

Can’t agree I’m afraid, sorry! I’ve yet to give a lesson that would be improved by using PowerPoint!

There are better ways of using visuals than sticking them on a PowerPoint. It’s just too restrictive.

Cheers

It’s a tool nothing more or less we should deliver taking into account learning styles and use a wide range of aids not just a 121 ppt like the blue badge radio one

I’ve done the whole thing in terms of teaching resources in 37 years of instruction in the ATC.
Working from a book + blackboard & chalk (coloured if I could find some) + epidiascope & slides
Notes on cards + blackboard & chalk + epidiascope & slides
Acetates with OHP with typed up notes
Then when I got my first laptop DTP of which Powerpoint has become the dominant product, initially this was a prompt, then onto projectors.
whiteboard and dry wipes replaced blackboard and chalk over the years.

When I was doing lessons in the early 80s the thought of something that meant I could put lessons together and then put it away and use it exactly as it was or change it without requiring hours and hours of work (anyone who has written/drawn on acetates will understand what I mean), was something you could only dream of. Acetates and the pens were and still are bloody expensive.

People who say I don’t like / use powerpoint are uttering fashionable passĂ© nonsense, as if to imply people who do use it are somehow lesser and they are higher beings and on some moral high ground. I’ve sat through many a presentation at work over the years where the people (highly qualified and knowledgeable) use powerpoint, as they go from place to place to deliver the same content. It might not be jumping around, but it is Ronseal. Are these people lesser in the eyes of PPT nay sayers?
Unless you are the only person doing the instructing of a particular subject, PPTs give you a base to start from and initiate the research to develop your own things. Especially in the case of HQAC where it decided to have its Nazi bookburning / Fahrenheit 451 moment and get rid of all classification books in favour of a poor online system. When I’ve spoken to teachers they say they use textbooks in lessons as a primary source and they use powerpoint as main teaching aid, as along with in class/homeowork sheets, it ticks boxes across the learning spectrum. They’ve said books are Godsend if they get asked to cover different subjects for absent teachers.
What I have seen is those on squadrons who choose not to use powerpoint for any number of reasons, are less flexible, as they know what they want to instruct and not do anything else. With a book to give them, you could breakdown this intransigence.

2 Likes

I agree with @Teflon

Strangely enough, I’m with @Bobthebuilder and agree with @Teflon on this one.

Bullet points on a screen aren’t productive however a lot of my presentations (for work at least) include pictures or graphs or information of that ilk which just isn’t easy to reproduce on a whiteboard.

PPT is a great tool for air recce as well - unless people are happy to go looking through old magazines and picture books?

1 Like

No one is better than anyone else!

And we have to bear in mind the essential difference between a presentation and a lesson.

And one really shouldn’t use the PPT as the basis for anything. For lessons there needs to be a lesson plan, for presentations; a script.

The biggest problem is the manner in which many people use Powerpoint.
They write everything they want to say on the powerpoint slides and then they project and read those to the class. That’s not teaching.

I find powerpoint great.
If there’s a photograph or diagram I want the class to see I can show it easily using powerpoint.
I can incorporate a video. I can include a summary of pertinent information

It’s all the old tried and tested teaching aids rolled up into one convenient to use bundle.
I no longer need to wheel in a TV and VCR to show an animated film of an engine working. I don’t need to get out the slide projector, or spend hours drawing complex sectional diagrams on acetate for the OHP.
I don’t need complicated articulated acetate models to simulate pistons moving for use with the OHP

When I want to change the content - it’s easy. I don’t have to reinvent the wheel.

Everyone has their own style and I certainly don’t use powerpoint for everything; but I can’t help but suspect that those people who say “powerpoint is awful” are probably just not using it properly.

3 Likes

Or, in fairness, have only ever seen it used badly.

2 Likes

Yes. Quite right.

I quite like being on things where there is a lot on slides and it is read verbatim, as I can switch off and then there are those who learn by listening, who benefit. So while the books on using PPT might say don’t put up loads of text, given we especially are dealing with all learning styles and don’t know what we’ve got in front of us. I put videos in that show exactly what I’ve shown in text or said.
The one thing I loathe is where someone doing a course etc thinks I’m 5 and want to play a game or do some activity.

Commends using tactics that help different learning styles,
Complains when same tactic is used on him

I know you’re the resident forum hypocrite, but there’s a line.
Just because learning by doing might not be your style, doesn’t mean it’s not other people’s.

1 Like

It might appeal to some, but I’m a bit too long in the tooth to go on a course and play silly sods. It gets a big negative on the evaluation form. When I’m on a course I want to go, get told stuff, get fed and go home. I don’t mind discussion type exercises or if it’s technically relevant things, like messing around with things, but not ‘games’. My wife knows if the course has included ‘games’, as you can’t mistake my mood.

I think that “Maximum activity” is pertinent at all levels of learning
 But as we mature what that activity entails needs to mature also.

Some bright spark decided to pull out the “leadership” kits at a Wing training conference a few years ago: “To demonstrate what we do on the Cadet NCO courses”.

We all came back from lunch - a room full of adults - to be split into teams and asked to build some impossible vehicle out of of some oversized playmobile to transport a cuddly toy; in a race against the other teams.
The whole idea was met with the raised eyebrows one might imagine and was roundly seen as a complete waste of 30 minutes.
Frankly, I think in it’s current form that it’s a waste of time on the NCO courses, and it was an even bigger waste of time with a group of long-serving staff who just want to get on with business and go home.

For us in that instance, “maximum activity” might have meant a meaningful group discussion, Q&A session, or worked, practical tutorial on how to carry out some largely misunderstood task
 i.e. anything useful which isn’t being sat around bored to death
 Not a trip to playschool.

So did the exercise serve to show how we’re not using time on NCO courses properly, and how we could improve things
?

If so, that’s not time wasted imo.