CI & MTP

I’m slightly confused by the wording of AP1358C and was wondering what peoples interpretation is. In short, I’m a CI, and also one that’s going L98 shooting real soon. Ideally I don’t want to wear my own clothes for this but some surplus MTP I have lying around.

In AP1358C it says:

CIs are not permitted to wear uniform, with the exception of Variations of CS95/PCS-MTP, (Para 0224).

but also

1. Variations in CS95/PCS-MTP dress. Variations will be subject to exercise/training requirements, location and climate; the necessary mode will be decidedupon through the relevant OC Wg / Wg Ex O / Sqn Ldr CCF RAFAC HQ. CS95/PCS-MTP is never to be worn mixed together or in a combination with any
    other uniform modes.
    a. Public Military Engagement (PME) Clothing. No3A is a mode of dress combining CS95/PCS-MTP and certain civilian style clothing and may
    only be worn for official Service events and activities where the public are in attendance as part of the RAF or RAFAC’s Public Military Engagement
    b. Skill at Arms Instructor Courses. Civilian Instructors attending Skill at Arms Instructor courses may wear CS95/PCS-MTP during training
    periods and ranges only. It is not to be worn outside the training environment eg. transit to and from messes and accommodation on Military units.
    When worn CIs will conform to the full dress regulations as per cadets, including beret and ATC beret badge.

How do you interpret this? Is a CI wearing basic MTP against the rules or not?

1 Like

If you are just attending a range then you shouldn’t be wearing it. The caveat is for courses.

Personally I don’t see an issue with wearing a smock over you civilian clothing while shooting so long as it is removed before leaving the range.

1 Like

As bob1 says, but talk to your wing shooting officer and check with RCO’s prior to attending a shoot.
Most people are sensible enough that they are more than happy for you to wear MTP for a shoot if thats what you want to do.

1 Like

???

Essentially… that says if you do have to wear it … follow the rules. As per those pertaining to cadets.
Pretty much the same is for CIs parading with bands.

I agree though with those above though, talk to the Wing Shooting Officer or RCO for preference.

1 Like

Although not there yet as an RCO, but planning to be, as far as I’m concerned CS95/PCS is approved PPE for shooting so wouldn’t have an issue with slapping a smock or LWJ on for the duration of time spent on the firing point…

But not everyone will see it that way.

1 Like

Yup, it’s a thing. Looks gash imo, like having big cadets on the March.

1 Like

Previously, a CI I knew purchased a Black Smock and Black CS95 Style Trousers for use on the range and during fieldcraft. No issues with that.

It’s not “uniform”, but would offer the same protection as the issued MTP.

2 Likes

Wear uniform, get a cadet beret, have a civvy jacket for driving to and fro. Sorted.

I got RAF issue BLUE PCS - not a uniform :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Permission has been given for CIs to wear no3 uniform for road marching.

1 Like

… in policy which directly contradicts other policy.
Like most of the ACRoMaTi.

Any policy can be written and approved to amend other policy.

1 Like

CTR also forbids CIs in civvies during live fire FC

3 Likes

I know a CI with a full set of olive green PCS which he wears on green activities which aren’t live firing. Looks a bit like a mercenary in his full kit :joy:

4 Likes

I hope NOONE is doing live fire during Fieldcraft…

3 Likes

Ok…blank fire/FT with weapons

3 Likes

I confess my CI range/field kit had a bit of the ‘contractor’ look to it. Minus the AR-15 and Oakleys.

1 Like

My pulse is returning to normal.

It’s one of those things - CIs can’t wear MTP uniform, those not in uniform can’t carry a CWS (even if ‘dry’ training).

1 Like

Well that’s dampened my chips

1 Like