Christmas Shutdown

If you want to do that for yourself, nothing is stopping you. All a mandate does is takeaway choice from grown ups who should be trusted to look after themselves. If they’re not trusted, why are they allowed to be in the position in the first place?

12 Likes

I know what your saying, and I do agree with the sentiment…

But also, I do think that it’s all to easy to inadvertently put CFAV under pressure to attend, and to feel pressured yourself.

If you’re desperate to do cadet stuff, you could spend the time planning for the new year, reviewing RAs, reviewing fire orders…

In my experience plenty of CFAV are glad to get out to the Squadron and then down the pub afterwards after a few weeks at home!

5 Likes

Only if the Sqn is run by an idiot.

To clarify.
Sensible OCs, will know their staff, their cadets and plan accordingly.

Only a fool would do otherwise.

As someone who hates everything about the secular aspect of Christmas I’d happily be in over Christmas. It also ignores those cadets who don’t celebrate Christmas at all who may want something to do. Surely the officers in the ATC are big enough and clever enough to adapt to local situations and make their own decisions? After all, your use of OASC makes you much better officers according to some people on here.

8 Likes

What can’t they go to the pub at other times? I can go to the pub without having been to the sqn, like I am a bit later tonight.
If they need a parade night as an excuse for an hour in the pub after, or to get out of the house are they really in the right organisation?
In my experience people aren’t gagging to get back to the sqn after a break, even if there is an excuse to go to the pub, for an over-priced glass of coke or similar as they are driving. It’s more like going back to work after a holiday.
I know only one lady from many years ago who apparently went to the pub after the sqn. Came a bit unstuck when her hubby asked about the post parade visits to the pub and was told quite innocently not every night and then we go to the Legion club and she rarely comes. We did laugh. This was in the days before mobile phones etc etc.

A fellow Grinch… I literally hate everything about Xmas

1 Like

Other than midnight mass and a proper traditional choir led festival of nine lessons and carols I could happily leave it. I put on a good pretence because I don’t want my kids to be as Grinchy as me but I look forward to not doing it every year after they move out.

4 Likes

I’ve had to make an effort to be less Grinchy since my niece was born, but I’m with you there.

Christmas last year was just bliss. Not only were we in Tier 4, most of my family were isolating because most of them had caught Covid the week before - while I was isolating because one of my work colleagues had caught Covid. I spent time on Zoom with some friends, had the briefest of Zoom calls with the family so we could still watch each other opening presents (:roll_eyes:) and then spent the rest of the day being antisocial and playing computer games :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The dream.

I’m intrigued that this hasn’t been answered by RC(N) yet on VoV. I’ve never known him to take more than a couple of hours to respond to a VoV question. I’m guessing if there has been a decision to enforce this, he’s not seen it yet! Or more likely some OC Wing has misinterpreted the CS Christmas shutdown as a shutdown for us.

… or, it’s been a weekend?

2 Likes

Nah, he’s replied to other stuff since the question was asked, also he’s been at his HQ all weekend as per Facebook :stuck_out_tongue:

(To add this is very much a compliment of RC(N) as normally the responses are ridiculously quick! Please no one take this comment the wrong way :sweat_smile: )

4 Likes

That you off the Christmas card list :wink:

1 Like

1 Like

My understanding is that this isn’t mandated, just highly recommended.

Units have definitely been asked to provide an early indication of what activities are happening, but I think this is more for assurance with no one around at HQ if things go awry.

Wasn’t he involved the Bader Team get-together :man_shrugging:t2:

at a previous unit the Sector Officer asked for our “shutdown dates” over Christmas indicating that if they were overly long he would be expecting justification and explanation

1 Like

It’s hearing things like that that makes me think an enforced shutdown isn’t a bad thing!

This is pure speculation but you don’t suppose this is a small low level admin mapping exercise that has got out of control.

W.g. Q raised at HQAC along the lines of “not sure if after everything are volunteers are more tired then normal, wondering if any unit are having a longer than normal break”

Or it could even be the situation of Bob Tina & George (made up names) all want Christmas leave between 10th December & 7th January.
Management are just asking the question so they know how many duty staff they need & who gets what dates of Christmas leave.

If volunteers want to pitch up then fab, if not then also fab as long as things are safe & it dosent put undue pressure then surely it should be keep us informed & crack on.

2 Likes