Christmas Shutdown

I need to move to MOD. I’m getting one day over Christmas other than the bank holidays. Most colleagues in my team getting zero

3 Likes

Interesting. My department is based on the month you start. That way everyone has different years and you don’t get the mad rush at the end of the year for people to use up holiday

That sounds nice, but must be a nightmare to administer

We’re been told it is a requirement set out by HQAC so they can monitor who is back, how often they are parading and what activities… I have said it’s a crock of :poop: and not all Wings/Region’s are doing it but pretty much got told I know nothing and everyone is doing it.
As I’m leaving this Wing in the New Year I can’t be bothered to argue any longer.

1 Like

Challenge them to point out where it states in policy that you need to be doing that . . .

VoV it

1 Like

That’s where the link already goes :stuck_out_tongue: The VoV question is the first I’ve heard of this.

He’s saying to ask on VoV about a requirement to create SMS events for every parade night :rofl:

1 Like

That makes more sense. It is annoying on here when you reply to someone and it doesn’t show that you are replying to them to other people. (Like your post doesn’t show you’re replying to me even though I got a notification that said you did…)

Because it’s the very next message…

1 Like

Not with the computerised system they use. Every place over worked has used that type of system and differing leave years

1 Like

If this unwelcome break is being enforced on us, I will bet my house on word of it reaching sqn level the night before it kicks in!!!

1 Like

Total manure.

Don’t do it. See what happens (absolutely nothing).

What about AEF? Cranwell have flying programmed after the 17th Dec.

P.S. I’ve just read through some of the previous posted questions on ‘Ask the Team’ and the answers from above are the most pointless and depressing things you’re likely to read.

All can be summed up with the statement, “Nothing will change, so don’t bother asking!”

1 Like

Our last night is 9th Dec and we won’t return until 6th Jan, that’s standard for us, with our Festive Day Walk in-between. WHQs are not providing a service from 17 Dec.

If HQAC is issuing a shutdown order… will this sort of thing be possible?

I usually run a festive shoot each year.

Would be really sad if this weren’t possible this year.

Put the permission in now and see if it gets cleared.

1 Like

Personally, i don’t think having a mandated stand down is such a bad thing. In fact, I’d go as far as saying that it’s about time.

For a lot of people, cadets included, the run up to Christmas can be incredibly busy. Having that extra week or two off on either side of the holiday to prepare or recover isn’t such a bad thing.

1 Like

I’d go further and have mandatory sqn 2 week stand down at Easter and 2 or 3 weeks in the summer. Planned camps, expeds etc could happen in these, but no sqn activity. It gives people a break and being in / around school holidays means personal holidays could be taken without anyone missing something. This allows for people to have family time, something in the Air Cadets it is easy to allow to be ridden roughshod over as people prioritise or feel compelled to do a cadet activity. I’ve been guilty of this and never without a pang of guilt, that I should have been doing things with the family.

1 Like