Change of Badges

[quote=“Stewie” post=12326]From my understanding the RAF TRF will only be used in the future when units are deployed overseas.

While in the UK they will be sporting an Op Olympic style badge, as per the picture.[/quote]

Again I cant see this happening if the RAF have to wear MTP in the UK its normally because they are on some sort of training or on guard duty ect which needs Tactical type clothing or they would do it in blues which would mean using a TRF so it dont stand out like an idiot waving a flag.

[quote=“Stewie” post=12326]From my understanding the RAF TRF will only be used in the future when units are deployed overseas.

While in the UK they will be sporting an Op Olympic style badge, as per the picture.[/quote]

thats what i’ve heard as well.

Crab hirachy are desperate for their people to not be confused with Army when they’re in MTP, they know that the standard RAF TRF, Beret and Stable Belt don’t do the business, so they went for a big white label with ‘Royal Air Force’ written on it - i solidly predict that the first time the Scum/Heil prints a picture of an Airman in MTP with the new TRF visible but they still caption him as a ‘soldier’ or ‘Army’, CAS’s head will explode…

its quite funny really.

Big white label on DPM brings to mind the Far Side picture “Bummer of birthmark, Hal”

Thats not taking in to account those at joint HQs of multiple varieties that wear it as DWR and some bases/units that also wear it for DWR, sometimes I feel I see RAF in MTP more than I see them in blue.

The RAF could always opt for the shoulder flash like the RN have.

[quote=“flago” post=12426]

The RAF could always opt for the shoulder flash like the RN have.[/quote]

This is sensible and should probably be the answer. However, if this took place then the pouting and teddy throwing by Honington would probably cause the whole place to suddenly implode and suck most of East Anglia into the resulting black hole of sulk.

[quote=“tango_lima” post=12434][quote=“flago” post=12426]

The RAF could always opt for the shoulder flash like the RN have.[/quote]

This is sensible and should probably be the answer. However, if this took place then the pouting and teddy throwing by Honington would probably cause the whole place to suddenly implode and suck most of East Anglia into the resulting black hole of sulk.[/quote]

Well Royal Marines didn’t have issue with it. The RN now have Royal Marine Commando, Royal Navy Commando ,Bomb Disposal and Royal Navy flashes.

Or we could just worry about important ■■■■ instead!

[quote=“flago” post=12435][quote=“tango_lima” post=12434][quote=“flago” post=12426]

Well Royal Marines didn’t have issue with it. The RN now have Royal Marine Commando, Royal Navy Commando ,Bomb Disposal and Royal Navy flashes.[/quote]

That’s because the Royal Marines are not as anal as the RAF Regiment over such things!

All of those RN shoulder-titles have been worn (on and off) longer than the RAF Regt has existed.

How about a subdued albatross such as those worn on blues?

Why, when there is trivia to be discussed?

Why, when there is trivia to be discussed?[/quote]

True, how remiss of me!

[quote=“GOM” post=12441]All of those RN shoulder-titles have been worn (on and off) longer than the RAF Regt has existed.

[/quote]

There’s a hell of a story behind that blouse…

[quote=“tango_lima” post=12462][quote=“GOM” post=12441]All of those RN shoulder-titles have been worn (on and off) longer than the RAF Regt has existed.

[/quote]

There’s a hell of a story [strike]behind[/strike]represented by that blouse…[/quote]

(cough…cough…bit of a re-enactor’s BD homage, methinks: 1950s cut, turned collar facings, no cotton-drill lining, non-serge cloth… anyway, it serves a purpose in this context)

This badge design should look familiar: as worn by RAF ORs, in 1919-

(the ‘RFC heel-print’ shape being commemorated to this day, correctly, on our Cadet brassards: and wrongly, on Cadet No1 dress).

Although it’s educational to have picked the wearing of RN mudguards on battledress, it’s worth remembering that before/during/after WW2, a significant number of regiments and corps of the British Army wore ‘muddies and rockers’ as felted name-badges at the shoulder. This carried-through into (almost) contemporary Army No2 dress jackets, and I’ve no idea if the brand-new Army FAD dress jackets have retained them (Talon, I bet you’ll know the answer to that one).

But as far as the RAF is concerned: all the home Air Forces of the Crown appear rightly to always have followed the dress-lead set by the RAF Regiment for modes and styles of field dress. My money would firmly be on an eventual adaptation of the Green and Black muddie applied to the wider Royal Air Force, whenever they are now required to wear the new Most Tiresome Pattern uniforms.

And presumably the ACO will follow suite, for badges, unless there’s ever a decision to follow the approach used by our Canadian cousins when wearing greens:

(Canadian Army/Reserves/Cadets have crossed-swords before the name instead of the eagle, and yes, Naval/Sea-types have an anchor…simple, instant, recognition works perfectly)

Was the following diagram I picked-up ages ago just an interim arrangement, or is it still current? v v

wilf_san

ps apologies for my lack of recent activity on ACC …my day-job is very intense, at the moment :frowning:

pps an obvious question regarding MTP, and Cadet Formation Badge Branding…what are the Barmy Cadets doing for it??

[quote=“wilf_san” post=12474][quote=“tango_lima” post=12462]

b[/b](cough…cough…bit of a re-enactor’s BD homage, methinks: 1950s cut, turned collar facings, no cotton-drill lining, non-serge cloth… anyway, it serves a purpose in this context)

b[/b]This badge design should look familiar: as worn by RAF ORs, in 1919-

(the ‘RFC heel-print’ shape being commemorated to this day, correctly, on our Cadet brassards: and wrongly, on Cadet No1 dress).

Although it’s educational to have picked the wearing of RN mudguards on battledress, it’s worth remembering that before/during/after WW2, a significant number of regiments and corps of the British Army wore ‘muddies and rockers’ as felted name-badges at the shoulder. This carried-through into (almost) contemporary Army No2 dress jackets, b[/b]and I’ve no idea if the brand-new Army FAD dress jackets have retained them (Talon, I bet you’ll know the answer to that one).

But as far as the RAF is concerned: all the home Air Forces of the Crown appear rightly to always have followed the dress-lead set by the RAF Regiment for modes and styles of field dress. b[/b] My money would firmly be on an eventual adaptation of the Green and Black muddie applied to the wider Royal Air Force, whenever they are now required to wear the new Most Tiresome Pattern uniforms.

b[/b]Was the following diagram I picked-up ages ago just an interim arrangement, or is it still current?

wilf_san

b[/b]ps apologies for my lack of recent activity on ACC …my day-job is very intense, at the moment :frowning:

b[/b]pps an obvious question regarding MTP, and Cadet Formation Badge Branding…what are the Barmy Cadets doing for it??[/quote]

(My bold numbers)

(1)I did think that after I posted…but it made me sort of sad…

(2,)One of the reasons for the reintroduction of shoulder titles on PCS would be the fact that everyone wore them back in the day on BD, they were the replacement for the brass shoulder titles worn on the shoulder straps of the preceding Service Dress. (I’m sure you already know this but,) Service Dress ended up being the combat dress retained for ‘walking out’ (in the 1960s with the introduction of OG Combat Dress) rather than Battle Dress because it was smarter and could be made more ‘parade worthy’. This saw the death of ‘mudguards’ for most people and a return to brass shoulder titles, the exception being the Household Division, who reintroduced cloth ‘rocker’ shoulder titles in the 1990s because the introduction of the L85 meant a return to sloping arms rather than shouldering arms and brass titles were not visible at the slope.

(3) The dress regulations for the new Army No 2s have remained pretty much the same as far as accoutrements are concerned, it’s just that regiments have lost distinctive materials or cuts (and there’s now no difference in material or cut for officers and ORs). The Guards have retained their button groups, though.

(4)In fairness the RAF Regiment only put ‘mudguards’ back on combats in the 90s because of the introduction of CS95 and the loss of epaulettes. However, because of it now being regarded as a badge of qualification in the RAF and Gunners being allowed to wear their mudguards on remuster etc, I can’t see the wider Air Force adopting it as the solution. The current generation of Regiment have grown up with the mudguard as something special, in lieu of a distinctive cap badge, beret, etc…

(5)Still applies, although it’s horribly out of scale.

(6) Nice to see you again, I was wondering where you’d been only yesterday…

(7)The ACF are putting all the badges from their brassards onto the shoulder pockets, vice rank which will now be worn on a rank slide. In fairness, they aren’t supposed to wear TRFs and the Army have never felt the need to wear a big label saying ‘Army’ so they don’t really have to worry about those things.

Some counties are going for county flashes on the left blanking plate though.

WHY??? Is there realy any need???

WHY??? Is there realy any need???[/quote]

Well yes. We no longer have anywhere to show what county we belong to.

Every new uniform design since the introduction of Battle Dress in the late 30s has been used as a watershed moment to cull back the number of badges which had proliferated on the previous uniform. If you compare what was allowed on BD in 1939 to the Christmas trees which were visible in 1945 you see how futile that was. The new uniform will be no different. RAF Regt Mudguards are one badge which has already broken the 4 badge limit, and doubtless won’t be the last.

wilf_san, interesting to see that because in practice, it’s incredibly difficult to get the patches on at that angle, so most people have gone for sewing them parallel to the stitching line. I’ve just had our seamstress sew on 120 Contingent patches for the Army section, and she said every velcro patch was slightly different, no doubt something to do with manufacturing the uniform in China…

The Union Jack appears to have been sewn on the same principle, i.e. parallel to the stitching.