CFC vs RAFVR(T)

Hello

First post, so be gentle.

I am in the process of joining as a CI, being a ex cadet many moons ago. Currently, I intend to go for commission when the time is right/if I am able. However, I understand that there is a lot of water to flow under said bridge until then (at least a year, I believe).

During my time as CI, I aim to get involved and lead as many things as possible on the Sqd… However, I also want/need to relearn everything about the ACO. While I will have time (the aforementioned year) to do that, and decide which path I wish to take (or indeed, stay as a CI etc), I thought I’d start the ball rolling now!

So, what is the difference between an Cadet Forces Commission and an RAFVR(T) from back in the day?

From reading the available resources on the internet (which is minimal, hence this post), it seems they are basically the same, but a CFC is more aligned with the other cadet forces, and that there is less ‘red tape’ in terms of decision making. It seems that RAFVR(T) had to go through a type of OASC, but the CFC does not. I’ve also read posts questioning whether the ACO officers need to be saluted , as its not ‘part of the RAF’ anymore etc?

Can anyone elaborate?

(p.s. I have seen and skimmed the 2000+ post thread on this, but it is hard to get an overview from a thread that large)

VR(T) commission came under the armed forces act & all the legal requirements & implications implied.

Cadet Forces commission is not regulated by the armed forces act so it’s pure volunteer.

1 Like

CFC officers went through OASC before Covid. It didn’t return after that. So an Regional Cmdt has replaced it.

CFC officers should still be saluted (and usually are), yes there will be some who say they shouldn’t be but then there were those who said that about VR(T).

There is no requirement to wait a year before commissioning. It rather depends on how your wing or region organises pre-uniform training.

It is worth speaking to your OC and set up a meeting with the Wing Training or Development officer (if there is one) to see what the options are.

Whilst CIs are valuable we are very short of uniformed staff so it might well be the process will take less than a year, if it is what you want.

1 Like

Thanks for the swift reply Chief_Tech

Care to put some meat on those juicy bones?

What does the change is not being like to the forces act mean in reality? Again, I assume, this relates to things such as how it can recruit and retain uniforms volunteers?

Disciplinary powers (the organisation’s, not yours), grievance procedures. There wasn’t a call up liability under the VR(T) anyway.

Otherwise not much has changed. We got new commissioning scrolls.

1 Like

Step one: The ACO no longer exists, we’re now The Royal Air Force Air Cadets, RAFAC.

The Air Cadet Organisation was rebranded. So where you’d have used ACO in the past, now use RAFAC :smiley:

1 Like

Th changes relate to recruitment & resignation process, complaints process (which is what broke the old system) & being able to give & be given lawful orders.

In practise it’s made no difference apart from reducing the “walty” element.

There may be some legal exemptions that the vr(t) was utilised for that may no longer applies but this is probably around weapons & ammunition which has got more complicated.

One benefit is that it’s put all the cadet forces on the same level as there use to be squabbling one whose commission was more legit.

Vr(r) still exists mainly for flying but from a general cadet forces world it’s dead & no longer matters.

1 Like

I am aware that the RAFAC (see, I’m learnding!) is struggling with uniformed staff…I guess… Commitment issues?!

The OC at my chosen sqd was positively excited about my intention to aim towards that direction

1 Like

I’d be cautious against trying to read too much into this. Many of those that have left have done so for a variety of reasons, often having been very passionate and highly motivated in their roles. Many of those who could but haven’t taken on a uniformed role have again done so for varied reasons, many simply finding themselves happy as a CI.

If you’ve read as much of the forum as you indicate, you will have seen a lot of frustration and complaining from those that have been around for a while. Come in with fresh eyes and thoughts, because you don’t share their experiences or expectations.

You’re entering at either the best or worst moment and should choose optimism, because the quality of your experience will be shaped by you as you progress. The organisation still does a lot of good for our cadets and communities.

3 Likes

That’s good.

I’d say that most organisations are struggling with volunteers generally. We’ve seen an uplift in cadet numbers, at least in my part of the world, but not a corresponding increase in volunteer interest.

Having been through the ‘you must wait and do x and y before going into uniform’ process I’d say if that’s what you’d like to do, get your OC to make your case.

You can also do a few things to help along the way - get involved in Wing events or courses, go on an AFA course if you haven’t already, start the process for SC.

3 Likes

I definitely was not suggesting that in a derogatory way (more as a quick summary as I typed between sets in the gym!), more that I imagine there is an ever increasing demand on uniformed staff from the higher ups, coupled with the ever decreasing financial freedom that a lot of people have means that difficult choices may have to be made by individuals. However, in saying that, one of my previous jobs was to teach people who wanted to go into the NHS as nurses… and surprisingly we saw an increase in students post COVID.

As you say, this may be the best or the worst time to join… but I’m a positive person generally… and believe that, especially since COVID, we have an opportunity to help rebuild and strengthen they RAFAC (to the limits that we can)

1 Like

Thanks for the reply… now…ermmm… Let’s talk acronyms

AFA=?
SC=?

I would go a bit further and say RAFAC has replaced all terms such as ‘Corps’ and ‘ATC’ except in specific cases where people need to distinguish between the ATC and CCF.

1 Like

I was involved in the ATC from 2001 - 2010, as a cadet, service instructor and civilian instructor. I then rejoined in 2019.

It’s really important to realise that the Corps is very, very distant from what it once was. That is said without any weighting to it, just a warning that if you’re expecting to jump straight back into what you once did you’re in for a surprise - it hit me like a culture shock.

When you come back in, treat it as if you’re joining for the very first time again. Ignore the idea of going into uniform for a little bit, and just settle into getting to understand the organisation as it exists today first; there’s a lot to learn - far too much for a thread like this.

2 Likes
2 Likes

For some background, the VR(T) is dead aside from around 200 nationally who are all pilots. The primary reason for them retaining VR(T) is something to do with air navigation and the laws surrounding it

1 Like

Depending on what rank you achieved when in the old ACO as it was depends on how long you need to do as CI before being considered for commission as per ACP 20 (Personnel Regulations) Chapter 2 – CFC Officers - Personnel Instruction No 201 (Commissioning into the Cadet Force) If you were a Cadet for at least 4 years and reached the rank of Sgt or above you can apply after serving 3 months as a CI otherwise it is 12 months. The questions on the board are broadly based on your knowledge on where to find things such as ACPs (ACP 007 is a good one to know along with the 20s and the standard 1-5s) and motivation to join in uniform. Although in theory a pass/fail Wing and Region Board, I think you would have to do something drastically wrong to fail at the board level. Ultimately as an officer or SNCO you end up on the same course at Cranwell now which is one of the major changes and then on a 12 month probationary period and further 12 months till Flying Officer.

1 Like

Interesting :thinking:

I was a cadet for 5 years, but ‘only’ got the sgt…

I am still bitter because I was pretty much the main nco for about a year when it was just me, 5 corporals and a mainly absent CWO…

We then got a new corporal from another squadron that was promoted to sergeant within a few months and then promoted to flight sergeant within a few months above me… Because ‘he is what the squadron needed’ (he shouted a lot!). He subsequently left a couple of months after being promoted to flight sergeant!

Anyhow!

Not that I’m bitter…

I only got to sgt too and left at 18 for university. Others stayed until they were in their 20s and achieved higher ranks. Meanwhile it took me 20-odd years in the reserves to surpass that rank. I don’t think that comparing oneself to others (unless they are your current competition) or ‘what could have been’ is particularly useful.

3 Likes

The irony is, the need for AEF pilots to be RAFVR(T) is that they are flying a civilian registered aircraft (Tutor) without holding the required UK Part-FCL license; they are exempt if they are military personnel on duty. (Which, incidentally, proves the CFC does not make us military personnel in law.)
The Viking gliders are military registered, so they can be flown by civilians.
Yes, I know.

1 Like