CFAV Recruitment

Coming a bit late to the debate here, I’m at a CCF Unit where we are expanding almost too rapidly (all voluntary- cadet and CFAV’s).
Do the numbers shown earlier reflect the CCF Sections as well?
The CEP is going great guns but might have the consequence of dragging cadets way from ATC Units?

Re CI/Uniform - isn’t that how the military is run at the moment? I don’t have a CI but am not sure of the issues, where would rank come into all this - we do the job for the Cadets anyway, if you need to order someone to do something then they’re in the wrong place…

Re advertising for CFAV’s - needs to include what they can get out of it as well (it’s not all about the Cadets after all, otherwise we possibly wouldn’t do it), leadership skills, developing personal strength, friendships, experiences etc, etc. I always tell potential teachers that it’s a great way to develop classroom presence and leadership and I am sure this would apply in most industries.

1 Like

You’ve had 22 adults get in contact interested in volunteering at your Sqn?

In the past 3 months. Most have been sent to other sqns closer.
We’ve had a lot of interest form cadets as well. Absolutely shocked.

What’s your secret?

1 Like

We haven’t done any recruitment. So no idea.

Geography then?

1 Like

I would imagine part of the unexplained ebb and flow we all get in interest and cadet numbers.
We’ve had people pick up on the intake info we put out last Feb on town FB groups. The ones we’ve responded to have seemingly understood the restrictions and have said they are happy to wait until later in the year. We will see. I’m reluctant to put anything out until things are clearer.
No adults, but I’ve been nursing a new CI who had started the process in Nov 19 which was a bundle of joy last year. I think the general restrictions last year have helped to hide what they experienced was normal.

I’ve deleted the flagrant off topic trolling. It made me very angry so the safest thing to do was delete it.

12 Likes

No idea. We compete with the army cadets and police cadets. Having to plan a third new cadet evening now with all the interest.

1 Like

On the subject of bums on seats or (volunteer) recruitment, the Scouts have all their resources neatly in one place:

I also like their 4 week challenge: potential volunteer agrees to do 4 weeks, to see if it is for them.

1 Like

No reason we couldn’t run the 4 week challenge locally. Get parents attending as a visitor for 4 weeks, supporting/being babysat by a CFAV running an activity, then discuss joining as cfav at the end.

2 Likes

I think we could borrow the idea. But they’d have to modify the ‘no-one on unit without a DBS’ rule?

2 Likes

except we already allow visitors to attend the unit without a dbs . . .

It would need to be clarified as applicant CIs can only attend for their initial interview and then can’t come down until the DBS is back. At least that is how it is round our way.

Online DBS will help but doing a DBS for someone for 4 weeks might not be a good use of funds.

Says who?
ACP 4 is vary clear that only “properly appointed staff can have regular and unsupervised access to cadets”, therefore non-staff can still have regular and supervised access.

The word “access” makes me feel a bit weird. lol

My reading of it too, but local rules

Need challenging all the way up until someone listens

Says ACP 20

New joiners are not to attend parade nights or take part in any activity until in receipt of a BPSS and DBS/PVG clearance, at which point an applicant may attend sqn parade nights only under close supervision pending formal appointment by HQ RAF Air Cadets.

1 Like

What defines “new joiners”, though?

The use of that term, to me, would separate people in the application system from those who are just looking to join and interested in finding out more about the unit.

If I saw that sentence on it’s own (what you quoted) I’d agree. But with the context of the rest of the statement (all of what I quoted) it’s quite clear you shouldn’t be attending until you’ve got your DBS/BPSS.

I don’t exactly agree with that, nor do I think that’s what happens in practise. But that’s what it says in black and white!