Census

I posed the question in training about question 32 and the answer is on the Census web-site, so hope that clears things up:
https://census.gov.uk/help/how-to-answer-questions/online-questions-help/have-you-previously-served-in-the-uk-armed-forces

2 Likes

So according to this Volunteer Reserve should say yes

The drop down boxes clarify what constitutes Reserve Armed Forces. The one for the list of organisations that should not be counted includes Air Cadets and Cadet Force Adult Volunteers. So would really depend on where you see yourself.

What’s the “Royal Air Force Training Corps” that’s in one of the drop-down boxes?

1 Like

Only AEF and ~12 2FTS staff are still RAFVR when it comes to the RAFAC, but could count as “previous” for those old people.

The thing drainingtheswamp was on about…

This is pretty definitive to me. It says CFAVs are not included. It’s specific for CFAVs to click no.

3 Likes

Indeed. I didn’t get past the part that said Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve should tick yes. Not that it makes any difference to me

No. Definitely not. Uniformed CFAV service is not armed forces service - it’s an interesting hobby and perhaps a discussion point in job interviews. Have pride in what you do professionally in your day job. Newsflash: CFAV Sgt or CFAV Wing Commander doesn’t make any difference in the real world (civvy or military). CFAV ranks are sometimes hard earned, but so are Brownie ranks of Brown Owl and Tawny Owl. One possible caveat is transferable skills and formal quals gained through CFAV service that may be recognised outside of cadets.

1 Like

Anyone that hasn’t served in the Military should put no. Volunteering in a youth uniformed organisation isn’t military service. Anyone that puts yes is simply a Walter Mitty and should be ashamed.

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don’t think anyone is claiming CFAV service counts as actual military service, just thinking out load about the technicalities of the census questions. That question has been answered now.

4 Likes

I think we’re done here

8 Likes

There is now an official answer from HQAC on Sharepoint. The answer is only answer yes if you have had service in some form of regular/reserve that isn’t just cadet forces.

7 Likes