Celebrating Success / Feel Good Stories from the RAFAC

A CWO from the missus and mines old unit has been selected to take part tomorrow. Some good representation from our old place.

Won’t share the post unfortunately as it narrows us down rather well…

4 Likes

I saw that! I was wondering if they were in the parade or in the Abbey. I assumed the later as it implied they were heading up in the morning!

Seeing loads of great photos and videos on social media of cadets, ex cadets and CFAVs all the the palace for their Gold DofE presentations!

5 Likes

This is awesome! The restoration project is great on it’s own if you’ve not seen it already. But helping out the local Scouts is great too!

1 Like

Following on from the above post.

That looks like a great set up.

6 Likes

:open_mouth:

1. Not only a bulldog…
  2. A trailer to keep it in…
  3. By inference that means sufficient spare space to keep the trailer…

Good for them.
But the disparity across the Corps is criminal.
I have a works order in… open for 12 months, just to get an extra plug socket in sqn

Gargh.

2 Likes

They’re in a joint cadet centre with tonnes of space within the compound! Big garages etc.

The Bulldog restoration project is something the squadron has been working on for years. Some serious effort put in by CWC/CFAV and cadets over what must be about 5 years by now?

It’s pretty awesome. I’m definitely jealous of what they’ve got, and happy to admit it.

2 Likes

We should open a new Grinds My Gears, just for Works Orders and Low Value Minor Works…

6 Likes

As someone who did their basic engineering training in the Bulldog (the first one I few as a cadet, was the first aircraft i “Maintained”), im all up for what they have, and great that they have that. If its a well-Maintained and controlled subject…im all happy, and a great way to get the corps aims!

3 Likes

Love to see this approach

2 Likes

Me too.

Having a water proof building, must be nice.
:joy::rofl:

Sussex Wing used to (maybe still?) do this.

Book out Longmoor and the Wing would turn up
there would be three streams No8, L98A2 and L81A2
The Wing’s stock of No8s were all brought together while Odiham armour was emptied for the rest.
Friday assembly at 1830, registration and briefing.

by 1930 the first lesson on the weapon system was taught before accommodation was sought.
By Saturday lunchtime the No8/L81 lessons were taught. After lunch WHTs completed and then the rest of the weekend shooting
By Sunday Lunchtime the same was true for L98 with Sunday afternoon on the range.

it worked really well run 2-3 times a year got huge numbers trained but requires massive effort.
the accommodation necessary for all the students and staff
the room for that number of students split by stream
the ranges on site/near by to consolidate it all.
And the staff to coordinate it - basically everyone in the Wing with a shooting qual required to make it happen.

I enjoyed those weekends but would be a challenge to complete anything close to that nowadays

2 Likes

It’s how I got trained on the 98.
Worked very well.
Good laugh as a young cadet too.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02z576PEJuPv7re1sP417FrpNiiUxqZa1ruCiB3SegKdT17Tct3dCfS6TRGzvfabnAl&id=100064732804634

3 Likes

I don’t mean to piss on ppls parade but im certain this behavior is specifically mentioned in policy somewhere that the ATC cannot form part of an emergency response…

2 Likes

Yeah, i was just thinking the same…

I think it specifically says you can’t form part of Military Assistance to the Civil Authorities.

Not sure that would extend to opening the building as a reception centre delivered by the LALO however, I would say it only applies to formal assistance by the MOD or wearing uniform etc

2 Likes

The ATC hasn’t. They’ve opened some doors, put some beds out, and donated some sleeping bags.

I would label emergency response as providing active labour at a scene or in direct support of a scene or area under the control of a gold or silver joint services commander.

This is “we need a roof, preferably with some beds” and someone making a phone call to where they knew a large enough (empty) building existed, and another to someone that probably had some sleeping bags.

Cadets then marshalling/triaging/handing out food and drinks as a result would be dodgy ground though I expect.

Maybe this is more grey than my opening line suggests, but it’s certainly on the lighter side. Being that it was adults only, I’d place their physical involvement as being actions of private citizens. It just happened to be that they had access to relevant equipment.

For the organisation to criticise that would be a bigger version of “you shouldn’t have used a Sqn first aid kit on that injured person”.

That aside, “Air Cadet Squadron refuses to help community in need, despite having nearly 30 beds and sleeping bags available” has quite a nice bite from a journalist’s pov.

7 Likes

Anyway, positivity!

Bravo those people regardless of what the regs say. Speedily taking morally correct action over dithering and debating about checking policy like us reprobates.

6 Likes

The sqn didn’t provide the building accommodation. Its just that people in the town council, knew they could quickly get some beds as a makeshift accom for use in the community centre. they had a ready supply of camp cots (while others could be brought in from the army).

If anything, it shows a good understanding of the local council and what they knew about what the sqn does, and they could quickly drop a message to the sqn.

2 Likes