CCF *and* ATC?

Okay, okay, so I know all about the rivalry.

I was just wondering, am I allowed to do both? Apparently the rules say I can, but I can’t find where it officially states! I’ve also been told by some that I can’t, but I also know people who do both and their officers know about it.

Someone clarify this for me, please!?

Where CCF is compulsory at your school, AP1919 says you can do both.

In practice, there’s not really any reason you can’t do both even if your CCF isn’t compulsory!

The new ACO cadet terms of service (Personnel Instruction 501) say this@

The same general agreement appears in Chapter 5 of the top-level cadet forces document JSP814 (the version I have access to at least) so the ACF, SCC and CCF ought to apply the same rules.

Both my lads are members of the CCF(Army) and the ATC and we’ve never experienced any issues with the administrative side.

Both Army and Air? Now thats something I never heard of…

I’ll admit I’ve actually been doing both for a few months, now, after hearing from a few people who do/did both… I’ve just had a few people come up to me and say “you can’t” which is quite concerning. My OCs have told me I can, but various other squadrons seem to ban this…

I believe the ATC’s rules forbade it until quite recently, though that didn’t stop it happening before :slight_smile:

I was unaware that the rules had changed at all.

[quote=“cadettang” post=2453]Okay, okay, so I know all about the rivalry.

I was just wondering, am I allowed to do both? Apparently the rules say I can, but I can’t find where it officially states! I’ve also been told by some that I can’t, but I also know people who do both and their officers know about it.

Someone clarify this for me, please!?[/quote]

Its in AP1919, this was first allowed in the 7th Edition (2009) and has been clarified in the current ( unumbered ) edition on Bader as follows:

[quote=“AP1919, Chap.4, para 407”]
407. Membership of Other Cadet Forces. ATC Cadets cannot be members of more than one cadet force at the same time, except where membership of another cadet force is a mandated part of a formal educational course. Additionally, cadets cannot be members of more than one sqn or detachment of the ATC or contingent of the CCF but may be a member of both the ATC and CCF simultaneously[/quote]

[quote=“nmm62” post=2491][quote=“cadettang” post=2453]Okay, okay, so I know all about the rivalry.

Someone clarify this for me, please!?[/quote]

Its in AP1919, this was first allowed in the 7th Edition (2009) and has been clarified in the current ( unumbered ) edition on Bader as follows:

407. Membership of Other Cadet Forces. ATC Cadets cannot be members of more than one cadet force at the same time, except where membership of another cadet force is a mandated part of a formal educational course. Additionally, cadets cannot be members of more than one sqn or detachment of the ATC or contingent of the CCF but may be a member of both the ATC and CCF simultaneously[/quote][/quote]

This was superseded in the recent P-letters (which also mentioned that existing regs would be updated shortly)

I’ll admit I’ve actually been doing both for a few months, now, after hearing from a few people who do/did both… I’ve just had a few people come up to me and say “you can’t” which is quite concerning. My OCs have told me I can, but various other squadrons seem to ban this…[/quote]

My Dad had a friend who was ATC and CCF(Navy).

This isn’t a dig, but I can actually understand that and Gunner’s sons more than your position. What’s the advantage in being an Air Cadet ‘twice’?

I don’t know about ATC specific rules however JSP 814 (Policy and Regulations for Ministry Of Defence Sponsored Cadet Forces) does allow this:

I’ll admit I’ve actually been doing both for a few months, now, after hearing from a few people who do/did both… I’ve just had a few people come up to me and say “you can’t” which is quite concerning. My OCs have told me I can, but various other squadrons seem to ban this…[/quote]

My Dad had a friend who was ATC and CCF(Navy).

This isn’t a dig, but I can actually understand that and Gunner’s sons more than your position. What’s the advantage in being an Air Cadet ‘twice’?[/quote]
My lads are\were in private education where membership of the CCF is compulsory. As they only have one section (the Army) they don’t have much choice about what they do! They have to do at least 2 years in the CCF and have the option to stay on for a third or even when they leave the College.

My eldest is now studying ‘A’ Levels but is asking about returning to his old school to help out with CCF as well as being a Cdt SNCO in the ATC. My youngest is still at the college and although having been in the ATC for a little over a year, he only joined the CCF at the start of the last academic year.

Both organizations are aware of the situation and neither are bothered. I see no reason for them to be as events don’t often clash and they attend both units regularly.

[Edited to add] I’ve also noticed a lot of CCF cadets from the two main private schools in my area, are joining the ATC in addition to remaining in the CCF.

[quote=“nmm62”]

407. Membership of Other Cadet Forces. ATC Cadets cannot be members of more than one cadet force at the same time, except where membership of another cadet force is a mandated part of a formal educational course. Additionally, cadets cannot be members of more than one sqn or detachment of the ATC or contingent of the CCF but may be a member of both the ATC and CCF simultaneously[/quote]

This was superseded in the recent P-letters (which also mentioned that existing regs would be updated shortly)[/quote]

That was a quote from the new AP1919, dated 29/11/12

So it looks like AP1919 is going to conflict with ACP20 and JSP814 :smiley:

Thanks that is very useful to know as I have some cdts who have recently changed school now do CCF but want to come back to us in the holidays. They thought they had to leave (and so did I)

[quote=“Gunner” post=2516]
[Edited to add] I’ve also noticed a lot of CCF cadets from the two main private schools in my area, are joining the ATC in addition to remaining in the CCF.[/quote]

Are they being Air Cadets with both, or getting a taste of different things?

Going back to my dad and his friend: said friend asked him if he wanted to come and join the ATC too. He dropped in for a couple of parade nights and decided he wouldn’t since he would just be doing the same stuff he was doing in the CCF (which was semi-compulsory: you had to do it if you weren’t on one of the sports teams).

He said it made more sense for his friend since he was busy playing at sailors on Wednesday afternoons, so re-enacting the Battle of Britain made a change in the evenings.

Don’t you remember the two Jnr Cpls that you had last summer?

[quote=“cygnus maximus” post=2551]

Don’t you remember the two Jnr Cpls that you had last summer?[/quote]

Yes but it wasn’t them I was thinking of.

Who are you?

That’ll be the Peels then!

[quote=“tango_lima” post=2547][quote=“Gunner” post=2516]
[Edited to add] I’ve also noticed a lot of CCF cadets from the two main private schools in my area, are joining the ATC in addition to remaining in the CCF.[/quote]

Are they being Air Cadets with both, or getting a taste of different things?[/quote]
One College has only the Army Section and one has both RAF and Army. The CCF cadets joining local ATC Sqns are a combination of both sections.