Cadets with number 1's

Yes, it is. The only reason I think it would be an alright idea is because it would look incredibly smar and with the possibility of removing working blues, people may not see a difference in the uniform types. I guess it’s to stand out more.

its a pants idea.

wearing No1’s - especially if you’re in the Army where No1’s look goooooooood - is great.

wearing No1’s every day, or in the cadet world, twice a week, gets very old very quickly. its not a ‘privilage’, its a right pain in the backside. only, to be frank, total perverts would enjoy it after the first month.

it also costs a fortune. a single set of No1’s - even cheapy, nasty ones - would cost around the same as 1,500 rounds of 5.56mm, or 6 PLCE bergens, 6 windproof smocks, 6 pairs of MTP trousers, 6 softie jackets and 6 pairs of boots.

outfitting an average sqn’s NCO’s would cost about the same as a second hand minibus.

are having NCO’s in No1’s within a million miles of being worth any one of those opportunity costs? no, they aren’t.

3 Likes

Out of sheer morbid curiosity.

Does anyone know the cost “Per unit” for a set of No1’s to the RAF? I want to crunch some numbers.

Hat, Jacket and Trousers?

I don’t know how much RAF No.1s cost, but isn’t a more accurate comparison going to be Army No.2 dress? It wouldn’t cost quite as much. Besides, they don’t need to buy any stupid £300 cross belts.

no one is disagreeing it would look smart

but for the same reason every Air Cadet doesn’t get one flight in a Tornado/Hawk/Insert jet fighter here Cadets won’t get No1s = cost.

it would be awesome to offer Cadets something more than a two seat prop aircraft flight, as it would to offer No1s, or to be issued with a personal rifle, but at what cost and what reason???

Trust me.

They are more hassle than they are worth

2 Likes

Turner Virr is about £300 retail price at the moment for Airmen

Snaiths you need a mortgage for

I am.

Cadets in correctly fitting 1s would look smart, but as empirical evidence shows they wouldn’t be correctly-fitting - they’d be scraped together from whatever could be found from a limited supply, and issued on a “that’ll do” basis.

It will look gash.

2 Likes

100% agree.

Some staff struggle to wear them correctly fitted let alone 13 year old jimmy

2 Likes

No 1s to expensive yes. How about Issuing GPJs