Cadets to have Pace sticks and white DI belt

I can’t quite believe I am reading this on the socials

If the cadets pass the course then they will be able to teach drill to other cadets and CFAV as required within their Wings. They will also be able to wear the prestigious White Belt of a Drill Instructor and carry a Pace Stick. If they choose to stay with the organisation as a CFAV then they will not be required to complete the course again.

While appreciate recognising cadets in gaining a qualification. Allowing them a pace stick and white belt is a step too far.
I can only see this causing entitlement that they think they are better than others and end up with rogue cadets telling staff the wrong drill.

I also feel sorry for every DI who gave up a week of their lives, work, family to attend the DI course to have be able to wear a white belt and carry a pacestick. For it not to be handed out over a few days at a drill camp! Bit of an insult I think that.

#SashesForAllAdultNCO’s

Thoughts?

1 Like

Sounds like someone’s jealous.

23 Likes

My understanding is the limited number of cadets this applies to have done and passed the full RAFAC DI course to the same standard required as CFAVs undertaking the course so why shouldn’t they get the same privileges when undertaking drill duties?

14 Likes

I think it’s fantastic.

Most senior cadets are doing a lot more drill day-to-day than staff, so in a lot of ways are most suited for this course! We’re only talking about the top cadets in the org, not 13 year olds who have only been in 6 months.

They’re doing the exact same course that staff would do to gain the DI qual, so they should be treated the same. That includes belt/stick.

As with CFAV DIs, the pace stick/white belt will only be for when they are instructing.

I see it as no different to cadets gaining AT quals, and subsequently being ‘in-charge’ of CFAVs whilst instructing that activity.

13 Likes

if they’ve done the same course syllabus to the same standards (which i believe they have) they should reap the same rewards.

14 Likes

They will be briefed on the course of the consequences, the qualification can also be taken away. I will be making this clear to my candidate on the course

Its very clear, as with all DIs sticks and belts are for instructional purposes only.

Overall a great idea, should help drive more CFAV SNCOs and improve drill standards across the org, whilst expanding the cadet experience within the drill and ceremonial field.

14 Likes

This includes just pointing at things right? Because otherwise, you may have your work cut out for you…

2 Likes

Good substitute for laser pointer

1 Like

I don’t understand why any DIs need a special belt and a stick. SAAIs don’t get anything special. BEL and ML don’t get anything special. I think it’s time to scrap them.

3 Likes

They can carry leki poles?

1 Like

Tradition more than anything. Sticks do get in the way majority of the time.

2 Likes

perhaps its time to sew my gold DofE badge onto my jumper,

1 Like

Speak for your self, I’ve got my MTA pin. :wink:

1 Like

On your blues?

Out of curiosity, have the cadets (& adults for that matter) actually trained in how to use a pace stick?

I’ve never seen in the ATC a pace stick opened & used for its designed purpose.

Too often they are used as swagger sticks rather than as an aid to drill & I have heard some OCs trying to ban use on Sqn by SNCOs.

Did see someone carrying one on a gallery range once (asked them if they were marking out artillery guns & they looked confused…)

33 Likes

Yes (ish) very top level, no where near the time thats in the RAF DI course, or atleast it was like that in 2014 when i did mine.

All my stick drill is pretty much self taught.

As for open stick, i agree, i use it a lot but i make a concious effort to represent the its a training aid not a badge of office rhetoric

4 Likes

Completely agree with this!

Missed this, correct, the cadets are doing SSDIC, same as the SNCOs would do and the course is transferable if they become SNCO CFAV.

4 Likes

Then where’s the harm in allowing them the belt and pace stick? After all, they’ll have proven they can teach to the same standard as any uniformed SNCO.

If we’re not going to allow cadets what they’ve earnt, perhaps we should just abolish the pace stick and belt for all CFAV too? Seems like the fair thing to do.

4 Likes