Cadets to have Pace sticks and white DI belt

Our “Sqn WO” (a FS) swans around with an old broom stick. Very irritating.

But in all seriousness, cadets have more time doing this than the vast majority of adult staff. Empowering them a bit more to take control in this regard is a brilliant thing.

6 Likes

I’ve seen SJA adult staff (not even cadet staff) wearing it on their version of No1

Re the SJA I think their rules allow them to wear it in adult service till the age of 25yrs im sure I’ve seen that somewhere but can’t fully remember the details.

SJAhave some very interesting differences tho (very off topic) for example all service with them after reaching the age of 10 ie a cadet in their cadet programme( where qualified for public duties) counts towards their crown issued Service Medal of the Order of St John (for non-public duty qualified time 12 months counts at half value ie 6 months) so someone could get their first Long service medal at age 20.

1 Like

I can see why this would be allowed with the changes coming to staff cadets. Just a few weeks early.

the last time I was on a Squadron with a DI (FS) he only ever used it on Drill courses (ie Wing led weekends, be that specific D&C style courses or NCO courses) - he had the stick at Squadron but don’t recall him using it. That said his character would not lead me to think he couldn’t use it correctly.
The Squadron before that had a DI and he did very little off Squadron, but was very happy using his pace stick as a training aid. He regularly used the stick in open format, and during breaks would offer the cadets chance to march and swing it 5 paces - often with hilarious results.

Of all the WWOs I have seen, or indeed their team of DIs on Wing parades not once have i seen them used as anything other than a badge of office and Swagger stick - but arguably with the Wing share of SNCOs in sight, perhaps that makes for easy identification of who to approach with a question when there are 20 WOs in view!

in a way - good.
they have a qualification and they should be entitled to make the call.

it is no different to any other “qualification” we have, be that AT based, shooting, radio, first aid or whatever.
if the qualified person does not feel a sense of entitlement and empowered by the responsibility of the qualification they have and scared to say no to someone of a higher rank despite knowing better there is an issue somewhere.

5 Likes

Great way of incentivising our senior cadets to become staff.

Transferable skills that move straight over.

12 Likes

They pass the same course with the same minimum standard… Give them the same acolade.

Until now we have been the only of the three MOD cadet forces whose cadets were forbidden from using pacesticks.

That said, we are still behind the curve in terms of standard. I’d put any Sea Cadet advanced drill instructor / leader (cadet or staff) against 90% of our own CFAV DIs and expect them to be way out in front.
Their pass standard is much higher than ours.
Their national cadet DI course is akin now to this course (in terms of level) but, interestingly, their national cadet DIs are only permitted to carry sticks when engaged on national level events.
You’ll see some of them given parade staff positions and carrying at the National Trafalgar Day parade for example.

We remain the only of the three whose staff and cadets don’t wear sashes following the lead of their parent service :wink: Baby steps…
The SCC DI carry a whistle and chain… There’s swanky!

4 Likes

I’d quite like to generate a Venn diagram from responses over the coming weeks… Those who have traditionally pointed out “It’s not a badge of office! It’s a tool and it should always be used open and turning…” against those who will now say “CADETS with sticks??? NEVER!”

I’ll bet there’s more than a little crossover :wink:

1 Like

I think this is amazing, why not wear the belt and carry the stick for instructional and/or ceremonial. Just remember it’s a tool for teaching drill, not a tool teaching drill

4 Likes

Cadets-
Do a full week DI course
pass the rigorous standards of SSDIC
Taught by WO RAFAC and RAF DIs
had to pay to do the course (and still miss work)

CFAV-
Do a full week DI course
pass the rigorous standards of SSDIC
Taught by random CFAV
get Monetary compensation for missing work

Are you going to stop whinging or should i go on?

3 Likes

I wasn’t aware that other cadets forces allowed them to have a pacestick, interesting to know.

I really dont see the need for ANY drill instructor - CFAV or cadet - to wear belts or carry pace sticks. Does wearing a white belt make them a better instructor?

No. It doesnt.

Does carrying a pace stick make them a better instructor?

No. It doesnt. And dont start on about how sticks are used to teach because I’ve hardly ever seen a CFAV use one.

Sadly, the belts and sticks are all too often used as badges of office rather than what they were actually intended for, so personally, I’d scrap them.

I think what will happen is that now cadets can use & wear them, the pacestick & whitebelt, will start to disappear from the adult SNCOs as they would be seen as a “cadet” thing and not something used by “grown ups” until they go on the arms drill course.

Just a question; you’ve been a member of this forum for 5 years and yet this is the first time you’ve posted or commented. What is it about this issue that’s got to you enough for you to pop your posting cherry?

Just trying to understand, given the severity of some of the other issues affecting RAFAC.

3 Likes

Don’t see the point in the belt - for staff or cadets - but nothing against the pace stick.

Stand out in a sea of blue when they’re directing people about?

Also - what’s so bad about a badge of office?

1 Like

Funnily enough, for us it is considered a dress item for parade use (the pace stick)!

2 Likes

i recall the days when the Duty Cadet JNCO and SNCO would wear a white belt on squadron evenings…

it helped distinguish them as the “go to” NCO for that evening, so i can see the point of a White belt in a parade setting - in a training environment on the Squadron drill square (car park) it has less impact as the DI is likely the only person out the front anyway

1 Like

A belt is not a badge. It is a belt.

And if they don’t stand out with the big stick and the whole shoutiness, then a belt isn’t going to fix that.

1 Like