Cadet version of the GPJ - opinions?

The issued uniform isn’t warm enough to wear out of doors for long periods in the winter.

The Jeltex doesn’t solve that; so cadets end up with vests, T shirts, etc.

GPJ, c/w removable liner, is the RAF’s solution to that problem. Why are cadets different?

a common as rocking horse dung in my experience…!

although accept this might be different for those fortunate enough to be issued one…

We have a stock of the old green, 1970/1980’s, Chinese Fighting Suit thermal liners that we dish out for very cold parades and events. They remain cleverly hidden by the FWJ and make a vastly more effective replacement for the comedically useless liner it’s supposed to be issued with.

Toasty. (I assume - I wear a softie and a Barbour…).

1 Like

What is supposed to be issued with? The Jeltex?

That thin, black foam waistcoat looking thing. It’s about 1mm thick and as effective as it sounds.

A Barbour?

Do you have a Schoffel to go with it? Have you considered joining the CCF?

Blimey… I haven’t seen one of those for about 15 years. Even then I think they had been in the back of the stores for at least 10 years.

1 Like

I do have a Schoffel to go with it - though even I, the world’s greatest gear tart, think that wearing them together is a bit labelly.

No CCF for me I’m afraid, I’m too common.

a Barbour and a Schoffel but “common”??

the only thing common about owning both items would be seeing both brands worn by residents in the postcodes of Windsor park or Ascot…!

1 Like

Hi there Mr Teflon, FYI the DLO is now DE&S.

Doesn’t matter what they call themselves they are still not fit for purpose.

Yeah but the SWO would have something to say about

At the end of the day it’s got nothing to do with him. As long as it’s placed within regulations.

Most Stations I’ve been on the SWO doesn’t seem to do much about maintaining the uniform of their own personnel let alone worrying about Cadets.

The difference between serving personnel is that the uniform they wear is actually WORKING dress unlike what we call ATC working dress, and unlike the SNCOs in the ATC who build their persona around uniform and drill, the SWO will have more important things to be worrying about in their real jobs.
What we have as ATC “working dress” is in name only. I can’t imagine many of us getting overly fussed about what we go to work in, as long as it’s acceptable to our real managers.

Thread drift, admins, I’ll be brief!

I notice that some folks wear a GPJ over their shirts, no jumper. Is this a thing?

I’m fairly sure that that is standard practise - I would even go as far as to say I find wearing both a jumper and GPJ simultaneously feels a bit odd.

1 Like

So, what combination is acceptable;

Short Sleeve shirt, GPJ (instead of jumper)

Long sleeve shirt, tie and GPJ (instead of jumper)?

I thought of it as something to wear to and from the car - newly commissioned hence why I might sound a little “green” about the issue - only other uniformed staff doesn’t seem to use it at all so haven’t seen what might be the norm.

Any combination is “acceptable” as far as 1358C goes. It’s down to whatever you’re most comfortable in.

1 Like

I never wear a jumper, almost always just wear a short sleeve shirt and put my GPJ on if I’m cold. Especially since they said we have to wear a tie if wearing a jumper.

1 Like

I’ve been informed v4.0 of 1358c has update regs around the wearing of the GPJ, know no details but no it’s been looked at