Cadet version of the GPJ - opinions?

not really when there is a cheaper, simplier alternative.

as another example: SD hats or berets?
both are a style of headdress worn in No2 for the regulars, but it is viable for Cadets to be given carte blanche freedom to wear them??
no - the beret does the same job and is a more suitable garment.

likewise the Geltex and GPJ.

You think that they are equivalent in function?

they are both jackets

they both are an outer layers used to protect against weather conditions.

yes. I think they are the same given they are both jackets worn in blues as an outer layer.

I did rather mean more the argument about sizes - smaller cadets have issues with everything, not just jackets - and items like shirts are already in short supply, so again it’s not just jackets we’re ‘taking’ from the RAF’s supplies.

However I agree that there’s no reason at all for kids to be issued GPJs. Don’t see the point.

The Jeltex is waterproof, though on a warm day you will sweat in it and sometimes end up as damp as if you hadn’t bothered.

The GPJ is “showerproof” at best, but quite cosy, especially if you still have the liner.

They are both uniform outerwear, but they are not equivalent. A jersey can be as effective as the GPJ in many situations, though it lacks pockets :slight_smile:

although i accept that a geltex would be uncomfortably warm “on a warm day”
1 - why would an outer layer jacket be required?
2 - this is no different to the GPJ - it would still be uncomfortable to wear “on a warm day”

i accept that their best applications are different, but the principle is the same. an outer most layer, for No2 uniform, to guard against inclement weather.

I am not suggesting a Beret and SD hat are identical, simply because they are both forms of headdress, they have different applications for best results - but they are both hats which are worn in No2.

either way, the cheaper, easier to source option is the most appropriate for issuing to Cadets. otherwise we’re going to close to why don’t we issue No1s to cadets topic again

How about getting us GPJs that fit better?

They seem short and sit just above the buttocks, so it doesn’t feel right.:joy:

To answer the question, you wouldn’t get cadets scaled for them for various reasons, main one being cost.

1 Like

Somtimes it rains in the summer!
It is a raincoat after all.

Well, they are bomber jackets and that is the style.
The new pattern of RAF soft-shell did not seem to be well-received when it was trialled a while back.

Equally, what’s your argument for staff being issued them? Does it make them better at being staff?

We aren’t issued them, we have to buy them.

May be the RAF should up its game and supply us with the basics, I don’t know, say, ‘blue’ uniform for staff and cadets and rank slides for staff. Staff and cadets privately purchase things not because they want to be different, but because they want the things the RAF seems incapable of supplying or are told they have to buy, ie staff rank slides. Yet a certain company seems to always have things available, hmmm. Maybe the wrong people are running the supply side of the RAF. I have to say the RAF supply and or DLO seem to be wholly incompetent at doing the basics you would expect of a “buying” function in a business, oh I don’t know like buying things and organising contracts.

As for GPJ or jeltex I’d prefer something that doesn’t sound or feel like a bag of ready salted. I remember all the poncing around with cadets wearing GPJs, not weairng GPJs, NCOs only can wear GPJs, typical Air Cadet contrivance.

It think it comes and goes. I was issued one when they first came out, and it seems officers were scaled for them if commissioned after July 03 as per an obsolete scale of issue.

I was issued a GPJ in my initial kitting back in April.

That makes sense then, but they’re still irritating. Nonetheless, I always wear mine, our sqn is freezing all year round (very old building etc).

Why not wear vests, etc? The GPJ is outerwear, to wear outdoors…

1 Like

Because I’m not a fireman :wink:

Our building has no insulation. We are a sqn in the North. Heating is as dated as the building. I wear thermals under my uniform.

Sometimes there is ice on the inside.

Need I say more?

1 Like

Of your thermals?

1 Like

Sometimes…

1 Like

Because it’s Cadets not the Nakatomi Plaza

9 Likes