Cadet Forces Medal

The qualifying criteria and method of application used to be contained within AP1919 but there is a separate document outlining the eligibility for the medal.

[Edited to add: I tried to attach the document but it exceeded the file size set by the administrator]

Effectively, it is 12 years service by uniformed members of staff but you can carry over a maximum of 3 years from previous regular or reserve service. However, I’ve just tried to carry over a little over 2 years from the date of my previous long-gong and have subsequently been booted into the long grass by - what I will generously accept as being - a failure to read the regulations correctly. I have re-submitted my application only to be told by one dept that my application is correct as they have correlated my previous service with that of ACO service, although the Pers Dept says they haven’t yet done so.

Although I am assured that my case as been escalated back to the person who rejected it in the first place (how mad is that!) they haven’t yet bothered their ■■■■ after 10 days to contact me to inform me of the outcome. Another example I fear, of how the volunteer is regarded as an embuggerance, rather than as the valuable commodity they say we are.

All details here B)

JSP 761

1. The Cadet Forces Medal (CFM) is available to recognise 12 years’ service as an officer or uniformed adult instructor in the Combined Cadet Force, Sea Cadet Corps, Army Cadet Force, and Air Training Corps. Clasps are available for additional periods of 6 years. Recommendations for the Cadet Forces Medal and clasps are to be made in accordance with JSP 814, Policy and Regulations for MOD Sponsored Cadet Organisations.

JSP 814

14.5 The Cadet Forces Medal
14.5.1. Introduction. The Cadet Forces Medal (CFM) and Clasps are awards to officers and uniformed adult instructors in recognition of long service of proved capacity in the CF (SCC, ACF, ATC and CCF). The award of the CFM is governed generally by Royal Warrant dated 19 November 2001. It carries no rights to the use of post-nominal letters.
14.5.2. The medal is circular in form, is in cupro-nickel, and bears on the obverse the Crowned Effigy of the Sovereign and on the reverse the inscription ‘The Cadet Forces Medal’ and a representation of a flaming torch. The medal is suspended from a bar and the name of the recipient is inscribed around the rim. It is to be worn on the left breast suspended from a ribbon one-and-a-quarter inches in width, of dark green bordered by narrow stripes of dark blue and red and red and light blue, edged with yellow, with the dark blue stripe furthest from the left shoulder. In the order in which orders, decorations and medals are to be worn, the CFM is placed immediately after the Queen’s Medal for Champion Shots.

14.5.3. Clasps may be awarded for service subsequent to award of the medal. They are of cupro-nickel and are to be sewn on to the ribbon by which the medal is suspended. Rose emblems denoting the award of each clasp are attached to the ribbon when the ribbon alone is worn. To denote service beyond the award of three clasps (three ‘silver’ roses) the following are to be worn:

a. Four Clasps — One ‘gold’ rose.
b. Five Clasps — One ‘gold’ rose and one ‘silver’ rose.
c. Six Clasps — One ‘gold’ rose and two ‘silver’ roses.
d. Seven Clasps — Two ‘gold’ roses.

Where ‘gold’ and ‘silver’ roses are worn on the same ribbon, the ‘gold’ rose is to be placed furthest from the left shoulder.

14.5.4. Award of the CFM and Clasps is announced in the London Gazette.
14.5.5. Miniatures of the CFM may be worn on appropriate occasions. They are to be provided at private expense.
14.5.6. Eligibility. To be eligible for award of the CFM or Clasp(s) an individual must have served as a commissioned, or appointed officer or as an appointed adult instructor (with warrant or senior non-commissioned officer rank, or equivalent, and wearing uniform) in:

a. The Combined Cadet Force
b. The Sea Cadet Corps.
c. The Army Cadet Force.
d. The Air Training Corps.

and must still be serving at the time that the reckonable qualifying service is completed.

14.5.7. The medal will be awarded in recognition of twelve years’ continuous qualifying service reckoned in accordance with paragraphs 9 — 11 below.
14.5.8. With effect from 1 April 1999, a clasp will be awarded for each six years’ additional qualifying service, not necessarily continuous, in accordance with paragraphs 9 and 10 below. Prior to 1 April 1999, clasps were awarded for each eight years’ additional service. Qualifying service for awards prior to 1 April 1999 is to be reckoned in accordance with the rules at that time.
14.5.9. Qualifying Service. The following will reckon as qualifying service when it meets the continuity rules at paragraph 11:

a. Service after the age of eighteen as provided for in paragraph 6.
b. Service after the age of eighteen as a cadet in any of the CF listed in paragraph 6, up to a maximum of four years’ service.
c. Service, up to a maximum of 6 years, and subject to provision of a certificate of service, in ranks equivalent to those described in paragraph 6 in recognised CF in the Commonwealth, provided that such service shall not have been recognised by an equivalent award.
d. Service, up to a maximum of 3 years, as a commissioned officer or in the ranks, of the Volunteer Reserve Forces of the United Kingdom, including the OTC, University Naval Units and University Air Squadrons, provided that such service shall precede service in the CF and that it shall not have been recognised by award of the Volunteer Reserves Service Medal or any of the awards preceding that medal.
e. Service, up to a maximum of 3 years, as a commissioned officer or in the ranks, in the Regular Forces of the United Kingdom, which has not counted towards the award of any other long service award. Full time service to a maximum of 3 years subsequent to the award of another long service award may be counted.

14.5.10. In no circumstances will service as a cadet under the age of eighteen years, or any form of honorary service, be counted as qualifying service.

14.5.11. Continuity of Service. At the discretion of Service Boards, which may be delegated to Service Medal Boards, the following, though not counted as qualifying service for the CFM, may be considered not to constitute a break in the continuity of service required by paragraph 7:

a. Any break in service which does not exceed six months.
b. Breaks of up to three years in the case of those who, by reason of change in place of residence or change of circumstances in civilian employment, while continuing to reside in the United Kingdom, are unable to continue service with their CF unit.
c. Breaks occasioned by service abroad as may be required by civilian employment provided that the individual has been reposted to a CF unit within three years of return to the United Kingdom.
d. A break of up to three years between leaving with a CF unit anywhere in the Commonwealth and joining a unit in the United Kingdom.
e. A break of not more than three years between serving a unit of the Volunteer Reserves, as described in paragraph 9d and joining a CF unit.
f. Any satisfactory period of service in the Regular Forces of the United Kingdom or Commonwealth or efficient period of service in the Volunteer Reserves of the United Kingdom or Commonwealth, providing that such period of service has not been recognised by any long service or efficiency award and that it interrupts service with the CF. The allowed period not enrolled in a CF will be at the discretion of the relevant Service Board but should not normally exceed a period of twelve months either before or after such Regular or Volunteer Reserve Service.
g. Providing all service is continuous, uniformed service broken by periods of service in a formally appointed, non-uniformed, supervisory capacity, not exceeding three years, may be aggregated for the purpose of determining qualifying for the CFM.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but i have been asked and cannot seem to make sense enough to give a definite answer.

We have a Regular Service Instructor at the squadron, who has been there for many years! After 12 years of helping the ACO - most at this Sqn will he still be entitled to this medal?

Doesn’t look like it, but 3 years of his regular service can count towards a CFM if he joins in a uniformed role after retiring from the forces, as above.

What MattB said.

Apologies if I have read the regs wrongly but I completed 2 years as a cadet between 18-20 then, when I hit 20 completed 9 and a bit years as a CI before going back into uniform. I’ve now completed 10 years as an officer. Now am I reading it correctly that I can’t count the 2 years between 18-20 as I was a CI for more than 3 years? Or am I reading it wrong and I need to get the forms out?

Will he not get a LSGC medal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way I read it is such breaks should not exceed three years. That is what the regulations surrounding the award of the medal say when discussing leaving one organisation and joining another, or breaks in service in general.

That was the way I read it as well, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a trick. 2016 is pencilled in for me.

[quote=“darron” post=20978]Sorry to dig up an old post, but i have been asked and cannot seem to make sense enough to give a definite answer.

We have a Regular Service Instructor at the squadron, who has been there for many years! After 12 years of helping the ACO - most at this Sqn will he still be entitled to this medal?[/quote]

Afraid not darron. I was an SI and an appointed ATC Sqn Cdr for 9 years as a Regular doing exactly the same job as my VR(T) colleagues. I also had 3 years VR(T) service ‘in the bank’ from before joining up and well over 3 years Regular time. My application, which was fully supported by the CoC through Region, was turned down by HQAC and MOD because they ‘didn’t want to set a precedent’ in giving the medal to a Regular regardless of their ACO service. I’ve since returned to the VR(T), but I’ve got to wait 6 years before I get it!

At the end of the day, we don’t do this for the medal, but it was a bit of a kick in the teeth when they said that simply because I was a Regular, I couldn’t have it. The JSP says nothing about Regulars being ineligible.

Thing is, CM, that the time you’re accruing as a regular goes towards your LS&GCM. That is of course, unless you held a regular commission where officers were ineligible for the medal. They won’t be much longer as the HD Committee have agreed that officers can be awarded the LS&GCM but sadly, not retrospectively.

The regulations state that you can aggregate service for the clasp but not the medal. Personally, I think it should be for both.

Yep, understand that Gunner. As a commissioned Regular, as you mention, I didn’t qualify for the Long Gong.

Good to see that sense has at last prevailed. The UK must be one of the only Countries in the World which does not recognise Regular officer service with a medal.

The HD Committee have sanctioned quite a few new medals after the last Medal Review, undertaken by Sir John Holmes.

Included are the GSM 1918-64 being awarded for the Berlin Airlift, reduction of the qualifying period for the Cyprus clasp (late 1950’s) and the institution of a new Cyprus clasp for 1963-64. And of course, the extension of the LS&GCM to include officers.

No National Defence Medal though!

What’s really needed is for the folks at HQAC to read the JSP.

I’ve been eligible for almost a year and my OC has just told me that they’ve bounced the application for the second time.

First time was with a note saying “Cadet service can only be counted over 18 years old”… Well, yeah. That’s why I counted cadet service from my 18th birthday. Duh!? Someone had even written my date of birth on the form in red pen.

This time someone else has bounced it back and when he telephoned to chase was told “Oh, no… He was a CI for 18 months. It has to be continuous service”. :ohmy:

Complicated stuff obviously! :unsure:

I’ve just received my CFM after a bit of a fight for it. Try pointing out that the breaks in service between cadet - CI - uniform was less than the 3 years it states in the Royal Warrant for the award of the medal.

I really do despair of some of the staff at HQAC. Especially as its a P Staff issue and aren’t personnel professionals meant to be exactly that - professional?

My form was accepted and the medal was at wing about 4 weeks later…

I think this medal will be sanctioned eventually, but not before the potential cost reduces - if you get my drift…

Hi sorry slightly off at a tangent - anyone know the exact positioning of the first clasp on the medal ribbon ?

Thanks

AJ

The clasp goes in the middle of the riband. Not down low like the the clasps on the service medals.

EDIT - Here’s the quote.

[quote=“AP1358 Ch 8”]
0832. Mounting. …Bars and clasps are to be affixed so that they are equidistant from the top and bottom of the riband…[/quote]