Cadet Corporal interview stage

Hello,
I have recently put in a jnco application at my squadron. After you apply, you get an interview. Can you guys think of any potential questions which I may need to prepare for?
Thanks
James

Likely to include:

General service knowledge - read up on basic cadet knowledge (even just going back over first class training), leadership theory, dress and drill regs, unit fire, H&S and security procedures.

Personal questions - why do you want to be a JNCO? Why do you think you’d be suited? What would you do differently when in the role?

2 Likes

Ok, thank you very much!

1 Like

Ask your OC or other relevant staff member. Whenever I do these interviews I always brief the candidates on the structure and nature of the interview so they have some ideas and pointers. I personally think it’s wrong to throw a Cadet into a Cpl interview blind.

It should also be an opportunity for you to experience a formal interview and learn from it regardless of outcome. Again, the interview board and I when I conduct have set questions and we take notes so can give proper feedback.

1 Like

Ok,
Thank you for the advice!

Everything said here is correct. I would just like to add -

Go into the interview with a positive mindset. If you get it then great, if not, get feedback and see it as a development opportunity. Your CO will likely already have a good idea of who is ready and who isn’t before these interviews because I don’t think you can solely rely on an interview to gauge a person(s) readiness to be an NCO, so try not to overthink it.

Furthermore, don’t sell yourself short. This is one of the biggest mistakes people make within the corps. If you’ve done something then mention it, COs don’t want NCOs who are frightened to project themselves.

Finally and most importantly, get the basics right. Turn up looking your best and you will feel at your best.

2 Likes

General 1st class knowledge, ability to work as a team and what will you do as an NCO.

Be yourself, be positive, respectful and smart.

Good luck!

It’s like a job interview.
Find out about the company … in this case the ATC and RAF
Look at the job description … take this from what you have observed, what’s written in the ACPs and potentially done as a cadet in an assisting manner
Look to see what the expectations of the job are … what the squadron expects of you as a Cpl, if this isn’t clear ask
Think about what you will do, in case they ask you.

The sad fact is given the staff know you, they will have already pre-conceived ideas about you and your potential to be an NCO. To that end these interviews are purely a way to make it look like everyone’s in with a shout. Not something I have or will ever consider using, based on the fact that we as staff know and observe the cadets and to that end are constantly discussing promotion potential. These discussions will be had, I imagine, prior to your interview. That said good luck but you may already have a pair of stripes sitting there with your name on regardless.

“I’ve never done it, but am the authority and know what everyone’s thoughts and motives are”.

Absolute rubbish. Why on earth would i interview someone just to upset them when they do not get promoted? Where there is an application process every person interviewed is in with a shout of promotion.

Unfortunately that means that sometimes i have had to sit people down who have applied and told them that i would not take there application to the interview stage but that is always done with an action plan to get them up to the required standard for next time.

Dragging them through the full process and giving them false hope is very wrong.

@JamesW, Ignore Teflons comments. Matt B, Valiant, alexw & Ex Everythings comments are what you need to know. Good luck!

4 Likes

If you are not going to interview several people knowing they won’t all get promoted, all who will have, hopefully, prepared equally, doesn’t that defeat the object of an application and then interview process? If you are only going to promote those you interview, just promote them, with the usual caveats. It has worked on all the squadrons I’ve been on over several decades.
In a squadron it’s a small puddle (even outside the squadron it’s only a slightly bigger puddle) and everyone knows everyone, so interviewing seems OTT, as it should build expectation and potential for disappointment.

Surely, you don’t hold or go for a job interview and expect everyone being interviewed to get the job? We’ve invariably interviewed 5 or 6 each time we’ve had a job at work. When I was looking for work after 6th Form and a couple times when I’ve changed jobs at work, it was several hats in the ring and I had my share of 'Dear John" letters.

If you are going to do an application and promotion process do it properly, which will involve screening and interviewing more people than there are posts.

We have interviews for Wing ‘prizes/awards’ and not everyone wins.

There’s a difference between interviewing several people, each of whom may get the promotion, and interviewing someone whom you’ve already decided won’t get the promotion.

I possibly never typed it right, but that is kind of the point i was trying to make.

The last few sets of Cpl interview boards I have done were very valuable, as actually there was very very little between all the candidates, we didn’t have any stand out candidates. So the interview was a very worthwhile event.

But also, even if you have a stand out candidate, the opportunity to see a bit more of what they think and how their mind work is priceless, you might discover there are a few things that need to be addressed before promotion, and promoting them straight away could end up being very bad for all.

But also, I think we almost owe it to the Cadets. Often the candidates will be approx 14 years old. Its probably going to be the first of many formal interviews they have. What better environment than ours where they get the opportunity for proper feedback and development regardless of the outcome, making them much stronger for the interviews that really matter.

5 Likes

Bingo - indeed, essentially the same as the rationale for our entire NCO selection process.

2 Likes

Also, I usually ask what skills and experiences do you have from OUTSIDE of cadets that you think would be useful for the role, or that you would bring that sets you apart from others. We’ve had answers ranging from sports, peer mentors, scouts/guides, personal hardships that someone has overcome.

Even if you aren’t asked directly, go armed with something that you can try to raise in response to something else. I’ve learned a lot about my cadets by asking about their world outside of our bubble - and it’s great to have people who are able to bring a little something different.

We also ask about weaknesses - this should be something that you have worked on and developed or are currently working to improve - and I don’t mind what it is as long as you’re honest, aware, and taking action. It could be that we can help.

An extra one from us is an area of interest that you are keen to develop personally. Could be a skill or an activity that you want to improve, gain, or have more involvement with.

Ask other NCOs! Especially those that went through the Cpl Promotion process most recently, and the most experienced SNCOs.

This. Even if you think something isn’t important or a great achievement - talk about it! One of the hardest things to learn can be how to sell yourself - many get too worried about sounding arrogant, but all it is is highlighting your achievements and being confident in your abilities. That’t not arrogant.

A great thing for interviews is to think of situations that you’ve been in that you have reacted to and come out of the other side with a success. Go into the interview with example situations, what actions you took, and what the outcome was. (Full model if you want to go into the detail is called the “STAR Method” or “STAR Interview Technique”, but don’t worry about it too much.)

When I interview, I want to hear about you as a person, I want to learn about you. I want to see someone able to speak with confidence and have faith in their ability. It has been said that staff go into interviews with an idea of who they want to promote already…

I go into interviews with an idea and an open mind. I’ve been swung in favour of someone I discounted and deferred someone I thought I wanted after some additional development points were highlighted in interview that weren’t apparent.

All of my cadets go away from the process with feedback about their application and their interview, and unsuccessful cadets get a development plan which we as staff work on with the cadet and this includes areas we believe require improvement but also anything that the cadets themselves have highlighted as needing improvement or wanting to develop.

They also go away with their first, or one of their first application/interview process experiences and I think it’s within our remit to offer these experiences and offer what guidance we can.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the information!
I will take it all into account, just whilst reading the comments, I can already think of some things that I can say to what you have suggested questions could be.
Thanks all for the good luck!

2 Likes

Hi,
obviously different sqns etc, but I sat mine a few weeks back and I was asked: regional commandant, wing commander, the four principles of the ATC (thought there were only three - might’ve been a trick question). In the main interview stage I was asked the obvious: why do you want to be promoted, what will you bring to the squadron. Then I was asked about the challenges of promotion to Cpl, such as: how will you deal with the other cadets who applied to be promoted but didn’t get it and you did, then I was asked how will you deal with someone who doesn’t obey your orders.

I understand you are from a different squadron and will probably get different questions but I hope this gives you some pointers and is useful :slight_smile:

Where interviews are used, the format will vary from to Sqn to Sqn.

I’d agree with everything mentioned above - but add a couple of other things…

Although the bottom of the command chain, you are still considered responsible - think of ways that you’ve demonstrated that responsibility.

How might you react if you were turned down? Would you quit, sulk, Birch about the successful candidate or, focus about how you could do better next time…

How would you feel if you got promoted, but a friends that was going for the same post - didn’t?

What would you say to someone that was turned down?

If you are say one of five candidates - is the value of promoting you, worth possibly losing four disgruntled other cadets?

If they don’t promote you - who should they promote?

What can you bring to the NCO team that isn’t there already?

What do you want to achieve eventually?

What do you see the role of a corporal is / should be?

The opportunities for progression and promotion are always rare - inevitably people get passed over - that’s life, but if you DO get passed over - don’t fret, many staff will focus on those that don’t get promoted to see how they react. Dealing with disappointment is often far more a mark of good character than success.

I like the tough in depth questions there - might nab some!