Cadet Corporal interview stage

James,
A lot of good points have already been made.

I agree that the basics is what will count for a lot - turn up on time (or early), spend a lot of time on your uniform - the old adage ‘first impressions last forever’ is so true. Don’t forget the salute on the way in and on the way out - a lot forget due to nerves.

For interviews at our unit - we will be asking about general Air Cadet knowledge plus the obvious ‘why do you want promotion’ and 'what will you bring to the unit if you were promoted.
A lot of it is to see how you come across as a person.

As someone pointed out - the board will have a good idea who will be ready to take on the role.

Remember - the JNCO is the most important cadet rank!

Good luck.

John B

Did I miss something here?
This is interviewing a cadet from your squadron for an NCO position on your squadron, not a cadet from another squadron who fancies being an NCO on your squadron.
If I did an interview process, they wouldn’t even get a sniff of an interview if their uniform etc wasn’t up to scratch already. So coming in looking unusually well turned out, would set off alarm bells.

People speak about knowing what their cadets do other than Air Cadets. We’ve done an introduce yourself to the squadron session with each intake for about 5 years; school attended, name, preferred name, interests, hobbies, which we as staff sit in on and do a bit as well. Can get a bit repetitive, but for cadets who do progressive things outside cadets, gives us an update. We did this one night as a no staff filler and thought it was a good idea and carried it on. It certainly seems to help break down some of the barriers, give cadets topics to talk about and makes everyone human.

Agree about the uniform - but, just as I’d expect a well turned out cadet to take a little more care on their uniform for a parade, I’d hope someone would do something similar for a promotion interview.
Trust me - a lot don’t - hence my hint to maybe do just a bit more.

Just my thinking.

John B

2 Likes